What aspect of AS is most limiting for you?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Most limiting aspect of AS for you?
Relating to people 53%  53%  [ 35 ]
Sensory 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Executive functions (self-care, work skills, etc.) 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Other __________________________________________ 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 66

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

Inability to handle being around people and I have little time to spend on things other than my interest; equally impairing.

So, social and repetitive behaviors (the two main points of AS, ironically).

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

Mine is most;y a combination of relating to others and executive functions, because I have a really hard time tracking verbal and non verbal cues within interaction, filtering ambiance AND personal thoughts, but the results of the disfunction affect ,y relations to others the mostm thus is the option I picked.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm

Mostly its in relating to other people, with executive functioning coming in a close second. I really need to not rely on routines so much! Sensory was a problem during childhood mostly ( though a screaming infant can cause me to lose it even now).
It is still picking up on subtle body language that still gets me, I only know the obvious stuff, after 50+ years now.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Anna94980506
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm

I'd say, relating to other people and executive functions

Random42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2013, 11:38 pm

Relating to other people,followed very closely by executive functioning, then sensory.
Yesterday I might have put executive functioning first, but I just realized that my social skills are worse than I thought. This someone pointed out some things I was not aware I was doing. I got the impression that the social difficulties I am actually aware of are just the "tip of the iceberg".
Executive functioning is a very close second because I have much difficulty with organization and time management which keeps me from doing what I want/need to do. However I have a better understanding of what strategies I can use to improve. Sensory issues are last because I can easily define them and usually can stay out of situations that cause overload. Though this does mean limiting some necessary things such as shopping so it is relatively last of the three but still a major issue.

AQ: 39
Aspie-quiz AS:154 NT:50
RAADS-R: 194
EQ:15 SQ:114

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:04 am

I would have to say for me it's not being able to read(or express) non-verbal social communication and/or cues. What makes matters worse for me is less then 5 months ago, I never knew such a thing ever existed. I am 41 years old and it literally took running into a psychiatrist on break at a starbucks to point out to me what was going on. As far as all the other AS problems go. I have been able to adapt and deal with even before I knew I has AS.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

Learning issues and anxiety. Next would be how my AS effects me in relationships but I have an understanding husband so it's not a big deal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 4:30 am

Executive dysfunction.
The social stuff might bother me if I cared about having a lot of friends, and it does cause problems in getting work.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jan 2013, 4:58 am

The social stuff doesn't cause me much angst because I am oblivious to much of it.

Sensory issues are fairly moderate-severe depending (severe right now, moderate last week). The more overload I experience the easier it is to overload the next time, the only way to "reset" that seems to be time without shutdowns, which I do not have very freqeuently. Today, overload pushed me to non-verbal, lower reading level, much lower expressive writing level. In the last case I lost access to my "phrase bank" and was barely able to write anything that I wanted to write or that made any sense to me. Right now I am not really back to where I was, and not sure how soon I will be.

Executive function issues are also fairly severe, and explaining them to my therapist was one of the primary reasons my therapist suggested I look into support to assist me with activities of daily living. They are not so severe that I cannot bathe or feed myself Eating is complicated - I've learned how to handle that living here, but if I move I'll probably lose a lot of that as it depends on structure and support provided by other people). That is in terms of knowing I should get food to eat and when. I have issues with most everything. I recently committed to doing more chores around the house, but those chores have apparently made it harder to keep up on other things I do, and I do not know how to balance things so everything remains doable.

A big part of my executive dysfunction has to do with inertia. I get stuck doing a thing and don't eat, don't go to bed, and don't do others I should do. It renders everything more difficult, no matter how satisfying indulging the inertia (or perseveration if that works better) may be.

Sensory issues make it hard for me to function on a job or in school, which effectively cuts me off from both an education and from gainful employment. Executive dysfunction makes it difficult for me to organize sufficiently to get into school or find a job in the first place.

I think I'll pick sensory, because executive dysfunction does have some working coping mechanisms and treatments I can fall back on.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2013, 5:16 am

For me, both social functioning and executive functioning. Sensory issues aren't so bad, unless it's still shirt labels, or especially sirens! Sirens pierce my skull like a drill! :x

KevinS
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jan 2013, 8:32 am

I would say my inability to have relationships as well as me melting down over small things are the biggest issues my Aspergers causes me. Regarding relationships, I can't even start one. I fear rejection so I never attempt to ask a girl out.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 9:23 am

For me it's relations with humans. Exec functioning and sensory issues never made me really suffer.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

I didn't put "relating to people" because not being able to relate to people doesn't make me really suffer, unless it's about someone I like. Therefore it's not a real issue for me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I voted sensory.

I am a social dunce, but I am too social dunce to care about social, so social is not my biggest autism problem.
So much this. It's executive functioning, for me. I just get stuck on one thing and can't move on to anything else.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:49 pm

It's complex, because I find it hard to separate any damage actually caused by any AS traits, to any abuse I got for these traits. Maybe the only aspect of AS which by itself got in my way is never communicating effectively even when I wanted help.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:18 pm

I chose relating to people. I do not even learn social skills; under slightly different circumstances, I will find myself repeating mistakes over and over. Good thing I am an introvert...

As for sensory issues, I mostly dislike loud noises (loud TVs and radios can literally drive me to slam my head against walls – DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME, KIDS!) and strong smells (specially breath odor and hair tincture). And being touched: regardless of who tries to hug me, I will cower away.

Executive functioning is where it gets weird. I am capable of getting a job and my dilligence and adherence to rules are good for keeping it. However, I am terrible with things like working memory and time management.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.