Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

Has anyone got any pro or anti arguments for it?

I'm a lame inactive poster and never really got into it. I always found it an irritant and confusing what I wanted to say to everyone I know at once.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

I never post anything, have the smallest friends list of all I know, but I like to be there. I occasionally chat with some people one on one.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

I dislike the Status post Wall. It's a terrible way to have a discussion. It's really a social aggregator service where conversation is in the form of Blurbs.

If there was a social network with no such wall and people communcated through personal messages instead, I would consider joining it.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Jan 2013, 6:58 pm

I use it to talk to my friends through the Instant Messaging function and I'm a member of a couple autism based groups. I deactivate it every now and then, because I get tired of it.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

I think it's a great way to keep in touch with the people you know, friends who have gone abroad or moved away, as well as those you've just met. It's also a really handy tool for organising casual get togethers, as well as keeping track of local gigs and other events you're attending.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
Has anyone got any pro or anti arguments for it?

I'm a lame inactive poster and never really got into it. I always found it an irritant and confusing what I wanted to say to everyone I know at once.

I avoid sites like Facebook, MySpace, OkCupid, and all other similar social sites. Too introverted for them.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 8:40 pm

I use it in case there's ever anyone I want to communicate with who doesn't have another way (Most notably being an undiagnosed Aspie I met on League)

I also play some games on it, and I sometimes like anime I'm watching so they'll get more publicity.

Author/Writer

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:06 am

Nay!

If you've seen the Up Series then many participants resent the public record of lives.

I don't want to broadcast all my current feelngs and facts about my life that I may later regret.

Catharascotia
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

I never post on Facebook because no one ever comments on my posts. I also avoid it because it's depressing to see other people who have a zillion friends constantly posting on their wall about how they miss them, they're awesome, they look gorgeous in this photo, they had so much fun together, etc. I live in the US and have one friend who's in England, so I use Facebook to communicate with her, but that's the only real reason for me to even have it.

Inferno87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2013, 1:16 am

Catharascotia wrote:
I also avoid it because it's depressing to see other people who have a zillion friends constantly posting on their wall about how they miss them, they're awesome, they look gorgeous in this photo, they had so much fun together, etc.

Exactly this.

I stopped using facebook shortly after my diagnosis for this reason pretty much. Don't really want to hear or see what everyone I know is doing with their lives, while I haven't been.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

pro: handy for keeping in touch with people I know (like my cousin who is the lead singer for a german band called between borders), handy for organising events (like conventions), all the funny photos and videos that people post, good way to keep track on how my favourite sporting teams are going..

con: the game notifications (this friend needs this item!) that appear constantly (I don't care about those games), those people that fish for "likes" by posting slogans like "Like if u think this child is beautiful (picture of sick child here). those pictures are depressing and don't make a difference. Those people that overshare, those people that post abusive things on peoples updates or pictures.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/facebook-spam- ... ealed.html
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/facebook-envy- ... ector.html

Sylant
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2013, 2:09 am

I use it mostly to keep in touch with my family, and for some reason I have many "friends" who I haven't seen since high school and never really spoke to even back then.

I'm a supporter for the convenience, but I truly do despise the things like "If I get 1 million likes my parents will let me get a puppy" type posts. It vastly overestimates how much I care about this stranger and their acquisition of a new pet, but there's no way to actually say that without sounding like a jerk, so it kind of just bubbles up inside me. There's a lot of pointless stuff on there too, like when people announce that they just ate pizza, it makes no sense at all and causes a weird feeling somewhere between frustration and confusion.

I'm not normally so cynical but evidently in this case I am, it's given me a bit of a self realization writing this and I think I may need to cut ties with some people on that site and make it a more family orientated thing.

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:34 am

I'm with Ruckus. Plus I'm on there to keep tabs on gay rights news and because I'm an officer in the alliance at school and help with the page.

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2013, 2:58 am

I have a facebook account, never use it. Only made it because it was the in thing. When I was done with High school, I barely login.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:31 am

NEIN if it's all the same. Full of backstabbers, back-biters, dullards, people you don't want to associate with and spite.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 10:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

Many of which sound like my thinking on it.

I'm in the right place