Receiving disability benefits for aspergers unusual or not?

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

zemanski
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2013, 2:58 pm

glad to hear it :D - my son has a better chance than some but I know people who can barely walk with ME and severe stroke damage who didn't get it (I'm supposed to be a witness in one of the appeals next week).

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

zemanski wrote:
In the UK at the moment we have huge problems with the government forcing people who really aren't capable of working to live without adequate benefits after the flawed ATOS assessments determine them to be fit for work.

My son will have to go through one of these soon - because he can walk and talk, read and write, and make a sandwich he will likely lose all his disability benefits and be declared fit for work.

And then, when he can't get work because he simply isn't ready yet and doesn't have the skills to even apply for a job, or any understanding of why he might want or need to work and no support for learning these things because, along with the benefits he will also lose the services that having the benefits entitles him to, he will be penalised by having his unemployment benefits cut for not getting interviews.

Ho hum!

this might be helpful for your son's ATOS : the NAS have a useful word document to assist anyone on the AS etc... in preparing their benefit application - its useful because it fits with their language and requirements but shows you how to highlight each difficulty and how it affects daily living...If he hasnt already got DLA, then a successful application for DLA will show how serious the situation is.
On a serious note, its true, it seems that most people who appeal after losing their ESA do get it reinstated, and it is true that even people who have been terminally ill have been found to be fit for work by the ATOS brigade - but it is worth applying and appealing... good luck! I hope this info helps.

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-au ... -form.aspx

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

zemanski wrote:
glad to hear it :D - my son has a better chance than some but I know people who can barely walk with ME and severe stroke damage who didn't get it (I'm supposed to be a witness in one of the appeals next week).

You can't get ESA now on the basis of being unable to walk. You'd have to be unable to use aids, such as a wheelchair, crutches, etc.

zemanski
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

@shubunkin

Thank you