Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

That's what it feels like. After times when I have been around too much noise and too many people, it feels like I am HFA. I don't have the high IQ they say most people with AS have. It is barely normal and I have a learning disability also. And I know that people's AS can get worse with stress but being overstimulated is different than stress.

I agree completely with my SPD disagnosis but wonder about the AS one.

I wouldn't care as much except I am really worried about AS being taken out of the DSM.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

I'm HFA and I'm not schizoid at all.

They often occour together, especially when the symptoms through ASD are strong, but they don't have to.
If AS is taken out of the next DSM, just the name will change, ppl are just getting dx then with ASD, but they will still end up with a dx.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

Quote:
That's what it feels like. After times when I have been around too much noise and too many people, it feels like I am HFA. I don't have the high IQ they say most people with AS have. It is barely normal and I have a learning disability also. And I know that people's AS can get worse with stress but being overstimulated is different than stress.

HFA and AS have the same IQ. To qualify for either, your IQ simply has to be higher than 75. It doesn't have to be above-average. And overload happens with AS too.

In fact research has shown there is no reliable difference at all between AS and HFA.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm

What research? I've always been told that in AS there isn't a language delay and there is a more likely chance of high IQ in AS, while in HFA there is a language delay and a tendency to start walking late.

My diasnosis has always been AS. I still feel HFA at times.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

I used to exhaust myself trying to understand what the differences were exactly between Asperger's and HFA. Now I don't bother anymore because it's really pointless.

But as for your theory, no, it's not like that.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

08 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm

Uhura wrote:

I agree completely with my SPD disagnosis but wonder about the AS one.

I wouldn't care as much except I am really worried about AS being taken out of the DSM.

Schizoid Personality Disorder will not often be diagnosed unless it's not explained by another neurological condition, such as Asperger's Disorder.

AS is not being taken out of the DSM. It's just being renamed to ASD, HF or ASD, MF, depending on how severe your symptoms are.