Do school bullies always become workplace bullies???

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:51 am

Dear Jammin,

Welcome to WP...

Hope you soon feel at home here, and get to know people that make you comfortable in your 'differentness'.

I am glad you have not been hurt by bullying attempts, but some of us have been emotionally devastated by those who despise us for who we are.

Personally, I wish them infected uvulas and head lice and hemorrhoids.

Sylkat

Jammin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Feb 2013, 8:31 am

Sylkat,

I am sure that bullying goes on for our kind, anytime anone is "different" they get picked on. I got picked on for being fat in grade school. I have two older brothers that would force me to fight them, so after a while of being called fat I got very angry and went on a fighting spree, and that followed me through high school and I started lifting weights and found that I was really good at it and loved it. I could be by myself. I hate that people are mean and bully.
I want you to know that I want to learn more about people that are similar to me. Thank you for responding to me.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Hi Jammin!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

BlueMax wrote:
ANYTHING to avoid admitting they made a mistake...

That there is a mildly sociopathic mindset. Those kinds of people never change. Never.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
ANYTHING to avoid admitting they made a mistake...

That there is a mildly sociopathic mindset. Those kinds of people never change. Never.

Correct, sir. Psychology experts peg the "cure" rate for psycho/sociopaths at less than 1% of known cases... they're MASTER liars and manipulators and will just pretend the whole way through therapy, then return to their purely self-centered ways once released. You cannot win an argument/debate with a sociopath...

I've worked for a few. It's ugly. :(

Worse, many on your work team will side with them simply to protect themselves from having the gun turned on them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm

BlueMax wrote:
many on your work team will side with them simply to protect themselves from having the gun turned on them.

by that definition they might be termed a metastatic cancer on the body politic.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
many on your work team will side with them simply to protect themselves from having the gun turned on them.

by that definition they might be termed a metastatic cancer on the body politic.

Oh, they are a frikkin' cancer, and they're like vampires who do what you describe with others, turning them into vampires.
I just think of Kevin Spacey's character Dave Harken in "Horrible Bosses".
The only way to deal with a psycho/sociopath is to avoid them and cut off all further contact with them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

darwinistically speaking, i suppose that if this was a bully-free eden, then somebody or something would eventually invent them.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
darwinistically speaking, i suppose that if this was a bully-free eden, then somebody or something would eventually invent them.

People fighting each other over who's the gentlest and kindest. ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm

that is the way of heaven, and it could be that way on earth as well if enough people want it.

LimitedSlip
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm

I disagree. A lot of kids grow out of being bullies, most of the jocks I dealt with as a pre-teen probably grew up, chilled out and moved on. While people like me who were victims turned out to be more offensive and expected the worst from people and developed our personalities to combat the infantile attitudes of our peers.

Jammin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2013, 9:52 am

Hello Captain, I'm glad I found you guys.

The true sociopathic bullies never change, those who bully because they felt powerless often grow out of it. I think that might be the difference.

Jammin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2013, 9:53 am

Hello Captain, I'm glad I found you guys.

The true sociopathic bullies never change, those who bully because they felt powerless often grow out of it. I think that might be the difference.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

good question.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:42 pm

Whenever someone makes a statement of the form "X is always Y", the statement is rarely true. That means that there are no exceptions in which X is not Y. In most cases, "X is always Y" is nothing more than an absurdly grandiose statement that completely ignores reality.

The question "Do school bullies always become workspace bullies???" is a perfect example. All it takes is one counterexample for the answer to be "NO". Just one counterexample.

If somewhere in the world, there is just one person who was a bully at school who is not a bully in the workspace, then the answer is NO.

Change the word from "always" to "sometimes" and then you just need one example of someone who was a bully at school and who went on to be a bully in the workplace.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:57 pm

Show me the boy, and I will show you the man.