Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 2:07 pm

I'm really worried about this whole growing up thing. I'm already a senior in high school and i'm turning 18 in February. I'm getting bad grades in Algebra, English and Civics and I fear that I might become a "Super-Senior". I still have yet to take driver's ed and i'm worried about that, too. I think i'll have trouble driving and I might drive too slow because i'll get really neurotic. For the most part, i'm in my room playing video games (Especially Final Fantasy ones) and playing on my computer to help relieve the stress of it all. I'm planning on going to art institute because I love drawing my own comics. They have a great sense of humor but my art style lacks perspective and shading and I have trouble operating and making flash videos. What can I do?

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 2:20 pm

Well, hopefully the art institute will teach you/make you more efficient at shading or flash videos, although I do appreciate artists have individual styles. If they are proper teachers, they will be able to teach you according to you individual style should you need the tuition. All you can do is do your best and no more, at least with things you can say you've tried ,and I know you have because you are stressing about it. It's easier said than done but try not to stress. And good on you for keeping up with the video games. I was told that as you grow up you grow out of them as they aren't very 'grown-up'. Well I never did and don't intend to, so keep up with it if it relieves your stress :D

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 2:28 pm

Fiz wrote:
Well, hopefully the art institute will teach you/make you more efficient at shading or flash videos, although I do appreciate artists have individual styles. If they are proper teachers, they will be able to teach you according to you individual style should you need the tuition. All you can do is do your best and no more, at least with things you can say you've tried ,and I know you have because you are stressing about it. It's easier said than done but try not to stress. And good on you for keeping up with the video games. I was told that as you grow up you grow out of them as they aren't very 'grown-up'. Well I never did and don't intend to, so keep up with it if it relieves your stress :D

But I hear you have to sumbit a flash animation short to be formally admitted into the Art Institute and I may need a tutor or aide to help me with it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 3:19 pm

KurtmanJP wrote:
I'm really worried about this whole growing up thing. I'm already a senior in high school and i'm turning 18 in February. I'm getting bad grades in Algebra, English and Civics and I fear that I might become a "Super-Senior". I still have yet to take driver's ed and i'm worried about that, too. I think i'll have trouble driving and I might drive too slow because i'll get really neurotic. For the most part, i'm in my room playing video games (Especially Final Fantasy ones) and playing on my computer to help relieve the stress of it all. I'm planning on going to art institute because I love drawing my own comics. They have a great sense of humor but my art style lacks perspective and shading and I have trouble operating and making flash videos. What can I do?

DON'T WORRY! I didn't do that well in algebra I have no real idea why. 8-( Of course, I was BORED through much of school. I also didn't do too well in civics. As for drivers ed? California had the nasty prop-13 thing going, and the "civil-servant" types used it as an excuse to do NOTHING! Drivers-ed was a good scape goat, so I had to go to a PRIVATE firm! I was NEVER really aggresive, and driving busy streets and the freeway made me VERY nervous! NOW, I handle them like a champ!

As for the art bit. YEAH, that is like the business world! Need work to get work! 8-(
Above all, realize that you don't want to be in a place that EXPECTS you to BE perfect. The whole point is to have them cause you to get CLOSER to perfection!

I'm sure you'll do ok! MOST that want to go to art school have some talent, and most of those that don't are FAR from self deprecating.

So HEY! If I can do it, you probably can!

BTW I did do well in English, but most people DON'T! You probably do better than most.

Steve

Last edited by SteveK on 04 Jan 2007, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 3:32 pm

SteveK wrote:
BTW I did do well in English, but most people DON'T! You probably do better than most.
Steve

The reason i'm not doing to well in English is because of my teacher's teaching method that i'm not used to. I had an awesome english teacher my junior year but unfortunately, she doesn't teach senior level english classes. I'm really good at memorizing vocabulary and multiple choice tests relating to vocab but the essays are a problem for me due to lack of interest in Shakesperian (Sp?) literature. I wish I could do an essay on some science fiction i'm interested in instead.......

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 3:47 pm

flash has a lot of tutorials, you can also find a lot about it online,
it's really a program you can learn by starting some of the tutorials.

and it's not when you know all the tricks that you are good, even one little trick combined with
an original idea of yourself can be expressive.

if you'd like to, you can always send some flashanimation and i'd be happy to give you advise if i see a direction you could approve something (i don't have the time to give step-by-step help for the moment though) and there are other's here as well, post it in the 'your art' section and ask for opinions.

never forget that what you see and live can be very original ! a lot of people tend to forget that, 'cause they are used to their own ways of doings.

don't give up ! !

(i'm not very satisfied with the tone of my words, maybe a little bit too much of 'do this' 'do that' sentences, anyway it's not meant to be patronising or so, i'm a little tired i guess)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 3:56 pm

KurtmanJP wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Steve

The reason i'm not doing to well in English is because of my teacher's teaching method that i'm not used to. I had an awesome english teacher my junior year but unfortunately, she doesn't teach senior level english classes. I'm really good at memorizing vocabulary and multiple choice tests relating to vocab but the essays are a problem for me due to lack of interest in Shakesperian (Sp?) literature. I wish I could do an essay on some science fiction i'm interested in instead.......

OH MAN! You are NOT alone there! I had that SAME problem!

steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 4:01 pm

KurtmanJP wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Steve

OH MAN! You are NOT alone there! I had that SAME problem!

steve

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 8:25 pm

KurtmanJP wrote:

Believe me Kurtman, in a few years, you won't care about all of this stuff.

I'm 30 and I'm studying a career. Most of my classmates are 20 years old. There's also a classmate who is 25 years old, a guy who is also 25, and a girl who is 22 years old. And nobody cares about our age.

To be honest, I think being older has made me better. Why? Because I know I'm in the career that I love (graphic design), I put so much effort and it shows, so much that people have said wonders about my work, and I'm so happy! :)
The director (dean) of the school recently asked me personally to help them do some graphic design work for the school. 8O

Two months ago, I got a job thanks to my work, two teachers have a business and I came at the top of the people they thought could help them, and I'm just in 5th semester! :)

Trust me man, age is just a number.

Quote:
What can I do?

What can you do?
A lot

ask people for help
ask the teacher for help
explain him/her that your situation, see if there could be a different approach, something that interests you more. Some special work for example.
And, play less videogames, one hour less of videogames, one more hour for study/doodling/art!

By the way, if you need help in flash just send me a PM and I'll see what can I do ;)