Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

prolix
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2013, 4:49 am

I always find hellos so awkward! Forever I wish to jump in immediately to a conversation without doing the hello part. As I've accidentally ended up posting other things before this... sorry?

Anyway hi, I'm diagnosed with asperger's/mild autism (I was told there's a shift happening with the diagnosis and it may just end up being called mild autism in the future). I function more or less OK but I don't have a lot of friends.

While I'm a native US-ian, I currently live in Korea, and I have to say that moving to a totally different language and culture is the best choice I ever made from an aspie standpoint.

1. I don't understand the language, so when I'm in a loud crowded place, I don't get overwhelmed as easily because it's easier to separate signal from noise. (I still get upset, but the threshhold is MUCH higher, since I'm not interpreting everything around me.)

2. Korea is extremely isolated compared to many western nations, so there is a constant assumption that I am already "different." I am expected to behave strangely and say odd things (for people who know English) or things that might come off as rude, and am automatically excused from all but the worst offenses (I've avoided these so far) just for being a foreigner. (It's almost like I'm on the "wrong planet," but everyone knows it and admits it and gives me slack for it, amazing.)

Its funny, I think I'm the only foreigner in a strange land who has ever been more stressed out interacting with other foreigners than locals!

So... that's what I have to say by way of an introduction to what my life is like (and a totally awesome recommendation to move abroad if you've ever considered it.)

I guess that's just what I thought was relevant right now. 8)

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:28 am

Welcome :)

Good to see you're liking it over there

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:46 am

Hi and welcome to WP! I too am from a different country---I'm born and raised in Taipei, Taiwan.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:02 am

prolix wrote:
I always find hellos so awkward! Forever I wish to jump in immediately to a conversation without doing the hello part. As I've accidentally ended up posting other things before this... sorry?

Anyway hi, I'm diagnosed with asperger's/mild autism (I was told there's a shift happening with the diagnosis and it may just end up being called mild autism in the future). I function more or less OK but I don't have a lot of friends.

While I'm a native US-ian, I currently live in Korea, and I have to say that moving to a totally different language and culture is the best choice I ever made from an aspie standpoint.

1. I don't understand the language, so when I'm in a loud crowded place, I don't get overwhelmed as easily because it's easier to separate signal from noise. (I still get upset, but the threshhold is MUCH higher, since I'm not interpreting everything around me.)

2. Korea is extremely isolated compared to many western nations, so there is a constant assumption that I am already "different." I am expected to behave strangely and say odd things (for people who know English) or things that might come off as rude, and am automatically excused from all but the worst offenses (I've avoided these so far) just for being a foreigner. (It's almost like I'm on the "wrong planet," but everyone knows it and admits it and gives me slack for it, amazing.)

Its funny, I think I'm the only foreigner in a strange land who has ever been more stressed out interacting with other foreigners than locals!

So... that's what I have to say by way of an introduction to what my life is like (and a totally awesome recommendation to move abroad if you've ever considered it.)

I guess that's just what I thought was relevant right now. 8)

US-ian = "American"

Lists...always the lists...makes me doubt sometimes.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:10 am

Yup, the same reason why I am considering to move to another country with a different language.

AmoralHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

Hi prolix.

My case is kind of similar to yours I lived in London, UK (nothing you do is strange in that city, at least for the years I was there that was my impression), now I'm in Canada. I'm a foreigner in both countries and yes, being a foreigner does help. I cringe when I have to meet people of my own country I just don't get on with them...

prolix
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2013, 7:20 am

noxnocturne wrote:

US-ian = "American"

Lists...always the lists...makes me doubt sometimes.

Yeah, I know, it's just a shorthand I guess I'm used to using... I feel a little awkward using just "American" because of South America, and I'm not North American because I'm not Canadian or Mexican. Haha. I've been burned saying American. I've had both a Canadian and someone from I think Argentina going off on different occasions on tangents at me about how we US folks just stole the whole two continents, name wise. Very embarrassing. "US-ian" (or 'Murrican, when I'm feeling snarky) seems to cause less affront.

Doubt what? It just seemed like a good way of organizing?