Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 536
Location: the twilight zone

08 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

the CBT. I feel way better. Her telling me everyone thinks I look like a drug addict was not helpful. My life is terribly stressful and I'm going to fight my depression alone.



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,009
Location: Seattle, WA

08 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm

Fight your depression alone? Er, not so fast. When you're down the best thing is to reach out and connect with others, like you're doing now on WP. This is from experience, by the way.



emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,065
Location: In my bed, on my laptop

08 Feb 2013, 7:06 pm

You don't need to battle depression alone. You can talk on WP or a suicide crisis line if you need to.


_________________
Living with one neurodevelopmental disability which has earned me a few diagnosis'


hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 864
Location: Texas

09 Feb 2013, 12:13 am

Agreed depression is battle you can’t win alone.


_________________
"The law is what we live with; justice is sometimes harder to achieve." Sherlock Holmes


Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,879
Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

09 Feb 2013, 12:15 am

kate123A wrote:
the CBT. I feel way better. Her telling me everyone thinks I look like a drug addict was not helpful. My life is terribly stressful and I'm going to fight my depression alone.


Therapists are often not helpful unless they specialize in ASD. That's been my experience anyway. I think "fighting depression alone" is not a good way to put it (you are coming here after all), but I think you made the right choice.

You may look high due to autism, not because of doing drugs, so I think it's cruel and unhelpful what your CBT did to you. Your appearance is not something you can just choose to change, and making an already-depressed girl feel bad about her appearance is likely just going to make things worse. :-)



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,760
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

09 Feb 2013, 12:52 am

That certianly does not seem helpful at all, maybe it would be better to find a different therapist if you can.


_________________
We won't go back.


hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 864
Location: Texas

09 Feb 2013, 1:00 am

Tyri0n wrote:
kate123A wrote:
the CBT. I feel way better. Her telling me everyone thinks I look like a drug addict was not helpful. My life is terribly stressful and I'm going to fight my depression alone.


Therapists are often not helpful unless they specialize in ASD. That's been my experience anyway. I think "fighting depression alone" is not a good way to put it (you are coming here after all), but I think you made the right choice.

You may look high due to autism, not because of doing drugs, so I think it's cruel and unhelpful what your CBT did to you. Your appearance is not something you can just choose to change, and making an already-depressed girl feel bad about her appearance is likely just going to make things worse. :-)


That is a very valid point. Fighting your depression alone would be hard enough; having negative people around making negative comments would be very counterproductive.


_________________
"The law is what we live with; justice is sometimes harder to achieve." Sherlock Holmes


kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2010
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 536
Location: the twilight zone

09 Feb 2013, 10:53 am

why would I look high due to my autism?

I'm pretty much alone and I'm taking medication for my depression. My husband is hopeless he has no sympathy or empathy and I have to manage everything alone. I'll probably continue going to my parent support group, taking my medication, but irl not going to talk about my depression...nobody cares irl. I don't have any friends and that therapist told me she didn't want to hear about the problems in my marriage, blamed me for all my problems, and told me I'm manipulative and I'm not going to manipulate her anymore by me discussing any of the topics that upset me.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

09 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

hyksos55 wrote:
Agreed depression is battle you can’t win alone.

Often, you do end up beating it alone. Often, only you can change your thought patterns. With the help of medication, I suppose.



hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 864
Location: Texas

09 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

Tequila wrote:
hyksos55 wrote:
Agreed depression is battle you can’t win alone.

Often, you do end up beating it alone. Often, only you can change your thought patterns. With the help of medication, I suppose.


The only way you could do something alone is if you lived in a vacuum.


_________________
"The law is what we live with; justice is sometimes harder to achieve." Sherlock Holmes


bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,847
Location: with Hyperlexian

09 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm

aww. I hope things get better for you Kate123a


_________________
"grrrrr"