Female characters with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 7 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 7:39 am

Atypical.... to what degree Elsa, or Paige? In the script obvious hints are being dropped about Elsa ("sorry I was rigid" as a child), but I resonate with Paige also.

jofiquartz
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2020, 8:59 pm

Meg Murry is the classic under-diagnosed "female sibling."

- Meg in 'A Wrinkle in Time,' Madeleine L'Engle

<Currently exploring autism. AS score 152 NT score 75>

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2020, 9:52 am

Some people have mentioned Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Why do you guys think she's Aspie? I'd much sooner have pegged her father (lives totally in his own world) or Mary (only interested in Religion and Music) as the Aspie(s) of the family - even Jane (very quiet and shy) - but not Elizabeth. To me she seems the one who is most in tune with the world around her, being friendly with all the neighbours, talking and making polite chit-chat with everyone, being interested in them, etc.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 2:34 pm

^ Agreed,Elizabeth's too street savvy and social to have it. Maybe Mary? Also Maria from Umineko no Naku koro ni.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 7:46 pm

AprilR wrote:
^ Agreed,Elizabeth's too street savvy and social to have it.

I haven't read the book and the movie clips online don't show me enough of Lizzy. They show her ignoring every woman in the vicinity, so that looks ASD like. It mentions she's a nonconfirmist which is ASD like. However I don't see any passionate fits or the lack of passion, so that's not ASD like. I'm really interested in ASD "types" since I am the social type and don't fit current stereotypes --- but I am not street savvy. Oh, and I love to dance - people who relate are my closest connections.

SadGhost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2020, 8:06 pm

I'm currently reading a manga that is still ongoing, called Asper Girl, where the female protagonist Megumi Saitou is an aspie. She is quite the enigmatic character, although very troubled due to her childhood traumas. I hope to learn more about her as the series goes on.

KLessard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2020, 5:52 pm

The veiled Orual from C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces.

If she is not Asperger per se, her character's story certainly represents autism and masking in females. Till We Have Faces makes me think C. S. Lewis had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome.

Orual starts wearing a full-face veil at some point in her youth, and after many years, most people don't know why she is doing this and have all sorts of theories about it. She becomes a wise queen and is well-respected. She wears her veil because she is ugly and wants to hide it. She began doing it after a profound grief, after she was separated from her beloved sister Istra who I believe represents the ideal individual a masked Asperger woman tries to become.

Orual is very intelligent but has not been blessed in other ways.

KLessard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2020, 4:18 am

She's probably been mentioned before, but Matilda Wormwood.
I could relate to this character in a lot of ways when I read the book. I was 12 if I remember well.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm

Pepper Anne from an old Disney cartoon by that name.
Daria from a show with the same name
Patricia "Peppermint Patty" Reichardt from Peanuts

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 11:00 pm

Sakura Futaba from the video game Persona 5. Very similar behaviors to autism. Her English dub said that she head cannoned Futuba to be autistic while dubbing her.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm

I and my mom both have always strongly suspected Michelle from American Pie of being on the spectrum.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 10:46 pm

Scoured TV and cinema and only a couple of female characters that actually have Aspergers
Detective Sonya Cross, “The Bridge“

One of the few shows to actually use the word “Asperger’s” to describe its main character is The Bridge. Based on a popular Swedish drama, the show follows Sonya Cross, a detective working to solve a politically charged murder along the U.S. -Mexico border. Detective Cross often tends to be an over-the-top version of a woman with Asperger’s. She doesn’t make eye contact, often spouts off inappropriate comments, and barely shows an ounce of empathy over the course of the series — things which may or may not be very realistic, depending upon who you ask. Still, most agree that actress Diane Kruger’s raw and heartfelt portrayal of the detective goes in the right direction when it comes to portraying characters on the Autism Spectrum.

Isabel Sorenson, “Mozart and the Whale”
“Mozart and the Whale” has not one, but two main characters with Asperger’s Syndrome. Donald (Josh Hartnett), a taxi driver with passions for birds and numbers, spends his days driving the same patters and routines, and his evenings leading an autism support group. When he meets Isabel (Rahda Mitchell), another Aspie who joins his group, he almost immediately begins to fall in love. The film follows the course of their relationship, and the challenges that come about. The theme here isn’t really different than any other romantic comedy: Donald and Isabel must accept their own and each other’s differences in order to become stronger as a couple.

Julia Sesame Street

Julia, an adorable muppet of a girl who effectively teaches children at home about the differences and similarities of those with autism. Julia is still a pretty new character, but has so far gained a lot of positive buzz from parents eager to see such a character in such an iconic setting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 2:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Scoured TV and cinema and only a couple of female characters that actually have Aspergers

One of the few shows to actually use the word “Asperger’s” to describe its main character is The Bridge. Based on a popular Swedish drama, the show follows Sonya Cross, a detective working to solve a politically charged murder along the U.S. -Mexico border. Detective Cross often tends to be an over-the-top version of a woman with Asperger’s. She doesn’t make eye contact, often spouts off inappropriate comments, and barely shows an ounce of empathy over the course of the series — things which may or may not be very realistic, depending upon who you ask. Still, most agree that actress Diane Kruger’s raw and heartfelt portrayal of the detective goes in the right direction when it comes to portraying characters on the Autism Spectrum.

Alex was a consultant to that show working daily with Diane Kruger and the writers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2020, 12:16 am

One thing is for sure, there aren't enough female characters out there with ASD. It would be nice to see more of them on sitcoms. And, they should be accepted by the community. Everyone needs friends.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Alex was a consultant to that show working daily with Diane Kruger and the writers.

Yes I remember now! this was posted somewhere. Diane Kruger was great. Did Alex get to meet Domain Birchir, he was also brilliant.

The series is actually based on exactly the same story from Denmark except the bridge cross is between Denmark and Sweden. I started watching the first episode but the character of Saga Norén doesn't come across as autistic which means Diane Kruger must have benefitted from Alex's input; (Having said that Saga is pretty hot).

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

Pollyanna Whittier in the book version just screams Asperger's to me.