Playing with other children in a group

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JurgenW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2013, 4:55 pm

I just saw some children (in a tv-series, so it was acted, but anyway ... ) play together in a group, and the thought struck me, that I never did that when I was a child in the 1970s. Have you others been playing with other children in your childhood?

I did play a little with one or another of four other boys (there seem not to have been any girls around back then, which is strange, but just a fact, and there were few children in the neighborhood) but never in a group larger than two, and most of the time I was alone.

My only experience of interacting with larger groups was in the circumstance of being bullied, so that was not a particularly pleasant experience.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 5:18 pm

I did jump rope, red rover, dodge ball, tag, chalked in the streets, rode bikes, played Barbies, played in the sand box, played with Brio trains, played video games. Yep I played with other kids just as long as it was something I wanted to do and liked doing otherwise I played alone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

I didn't like playing with other children in groups, and I didn't, despite my mother attempts to involve me in group games, because often other children didn't do what I wanted to do and I soon got bored.
I played with others only when I "needed" them for a game. Like, when I had to play chess, snakes and ladders, or a card game. You can't play those games alone. Though, I prefeared playing those games with my father rather than with other children.
One thing I enjoyed doing with my friend when I was a child was sitting by her, drawing and talking about my interests. I particularly liked it because she was very quiet, and only interrupted me if she was curious and wanted to ask something about my interests, so I could practically talk non-stop about what I wanted.