Anyone in university/college and looking for jobs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2013, 10:00 pm

I'm in my final year of university and am currently looking for jobs and was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Or people who have graduated/are in a job and want to share how you felt before graduation?

My degree is in Mathematics. Having started researching possible career paths a bit later than most other people do at this stage in university I'm still rather unsure as to what I want to do, but am mostly looking at Accountancy jobs and whatever looks suitable for me. I have some work experience but maybe not 'proper'. I worked at a charity organisation last summer (mostly doing admin but some client assisting to show them around the site), and another internship the summer before (doing research in mathematics, though mostly at home and away from the office, and didn't have to talk to anyone apart from my supervisor, and some other people when I did a presentation at the end of it).

The job search process seems a bit scary, though where I live something like 98% of graduates get a job within 6 months (according to university statistics). Though I might also want to move countries which will complicate things.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 10:42 pm

I am graduating in June as a geologist and I am terrified I won't get a job. I won't show my doubts to the rest of the world, and will just do applications just like everyone else, but I know deep down my prospects are dodgy.

I am 45, and have a family, and am overweight. The fact that I am likely to be very good at whatever job I do, once I get past the 'breaking in' phase, will not help me. I am dead honest, never let anything interfere with my job, am loyal to the company, work hard, always try to actively improve my performance, and care about doing well.

But they won't see past the external issues, and they have my grades use an excuse to not hire me. This is aversive prejudice, where they can get away with it because they have a reasonable 'out'.

It will mean I have to take something less than ideal, but I will work my way up. I am hoping studying psyc will improve my chances. People often think I am 'bubbly and outgoing' - that is how good I have gotten at pretending. But one on one interviews are harder to pull off.

I think you will be fine. You are young, and don't have to explain a lifetime of employment issues, and don't have my other complications. Being nervous is normal. Just get your applications in early, and use the University resources available to help you put on the right show.

A friend said to 'tell them a story' about yourself to make yourself real to them. I will try that, instead of trying to look like all the other applicants. I won't tell them I'm an aspie, but if they ask, per chance, I won't lie.
I will be careful to only apply for jobs I can actually do well.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2013, 10:56 pm

BlackSabre7 wrote:
I am graduating in June as a geologist and I am terrified I won't get a job. I won't show my doubts to the rest of the world, and will just do applications just like everyone else, but I know deep down my prospects are dodgy.

I am 45, and have a family, and am overweight. The fact that I am likely to be very good at whatever job I do, once I get past the 'breaking in' phase, will not help me. I am dead honest, never let anything interfere with my job, am loyal to the company, work hard, always try to actively improve my performance, and care about doing well.

But they won't see past the external issues, and they have my grades use an excuse to not hire me. This is aversive prejudice, where they can get away with it because they have a reasonable 'out'.

It will mean I have to take something less than ideal, but I will work my way up. I am hoping studying psyc will improve my chances. People often think I am 'bubbly and outgoing' - that is how good I have gotten at pretending. But one on one interviews are harder to pull off.

I think you will be fine. You are young, and don't have to explain a lifetime of employment issues, and don't have my other complications. Being nervous is normal. Just get your applications in early, and use the University resources available to help you put on the right show.

A friend said to 'tell them a story' about yourself to make yourself real to them. I will try that, instead of trying to look like all the other applicants. I won't tell them I'm an aspie, but if they ask, per chance, I won't lie.
I will be careful to only apply for jobs I can actually do well.

That's interesting, what did you do before the program you're doing now?

You don't seem too bad off either, whilst it can be difficult now you do have some good qualities, and being prepared to take on something 'less ideal and working the way up' is certainly a good plan and better than nothing.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:58 am

We had a nursery for ten years, so I know a lot about plants. We grew cut roses, and pot herbs, shrubs, chillies, etc. I researched obsessively whatever we grew, and learned a lot on the way about plants and growing things.
I sold them at the Sunday markets, and was good at it. Even if it got really busy, I would juggle people, calculate prices, give information, and always stayed calm, polite, friendly and respectful of all customers, regardless of who they were. People sought me out just to chat about plants and get advice. It was like a button was switched on and I was running a 'markets' program in my head, and I was that person. When I got home after lunch, I'd be so tired, and basically take the rest of the day to unwind.
I also talked to garden clubs associated with a store chain that bought our plants. I'd be terrified I'd freeze, but I knew my stuff so well, it never happened.

My problem is that I don't know how to put forth an effective application. I cannot lie, or exaggerate just to get a job, and I can't sell myself to save my life. It feels like bragging or lying and I just can't do it. If I try, I think I look like I'm lying.
I have no idea how people get jobs. Everyone says' everyone does it'. I beg to differ.

I never know why I don't get picked or why the jobs I get don't last. Most of them are casual to start of with, and I always get told I am doing well, but then when the time comes to go for something more permanent, they say, sorry there is nothing available right now.
When I was younger, I think I really was too scared and not confident, and that came across. Then I had kids, and we started our business, so I did that for ten years, and toward the end of it I returned to Uni. I am hoping the business and studies offer enough of an explanation of 'what I have been doing all that time'.

My other big problem is lack of references. I have no-one suitable to speak for me. The last place I worked where anyone would remember me was over 12 years ago. Since then, The jobs I have done have been temporary and usually with too many others for the supervisors to remember me. I'd be reliable and hardworking, but it seemed no-one would figure it out before I had to leave because of studies or whatever. I don't feel comfortable to ask my Uni teachers. I just feel very much like no-one can see my positive qualities except me. When I'd work up the confidence to ask them for anything, like say, vacation work, should they hear of any, I'd never hear from them, so I'd figure they don't think I am worth asking.
It's odd. I believe in myself so much, yet I am so convinced no-one else does.
My biggest fear about getting a job is letting them down. I totally hate feeling incompetent.

I think that starting at the bottom then proving myself is the only option I have. Meanwhile, some young dipshits with the same degree, and less knowledge and a poorer attitude are going to walk into six figure salaries. I have watched them give each other answers in the practicals, taking turns to do the actual work, I have seen them cut and paste their assignments, and I have had to explain basic second year concepts they should have known, but instead they end up arguing with me, until they look it up and suddenly don't want to talk to me anymore.
I tried to get along with them, but they can't see me as anything but a middle aged reject.
Maybe that is why I am so uncertain about my prospects.

By the way, it is mainly girls who do this. The boys are usually much better, and see me as just another dickhead in the class, which is the way I like it.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 8:13 am

BlackSabre7 wrote:
My problem is that I don't know how to put forth an effective application. I cannot lie, or exaggerate just to get a job, and I can't sell myself to save my life. It feels like bragging or lying and I just can't do it. If I try, I think I look like I'm lying.
I have no idea how people get jobs. Everyone says' everyone does it'. I beg to differ.

Sounded like me 5 years ago when I was still looking for work. I'm the same way and when I finally followed the advice to 'sell yourself' it went from poor results to NO results because I'm not a convincing liar. I excel at my current job like I did every job before it but just trying to find a job in the first place was a nightmare. I now have one of the most stable jobs you can imagine but if for some bizarre reason I lost it I would be royally f****ed. I honestly can't figure out how people manage to get jobs in the first place outside of minimum wage ones.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2013, 9:26 am

BlackSabre7 wrote:
We had a nursery for ten years, so I know a lot about plants. We grew cut roses, and pot herbs, shrubs, chillies, etc. I researched obsessively whatever we grew, and learned a lot on the way about plants and growing things.
I sold them at the Sunday markets, and was good at it. Even if it got really busy, I would juggle people, calculate prices, give information, and always stayed calm, polite, friendly and respectful of all customers, regardless of who they were. People sought me out just to chat about plants and get advice. It was like a button was switched on and I was running a 'markets' program in my head, and I was that person. When I got home after lunch, I'd be so tired, and basically take the rest of the day to unwind.
I also talked to garden clubs associated with a store chain that bought our plants. I'd be terrified I'd freeze, but I knew my stuff so well, it never happened.

I never know why I don't get picked or why the jobs I get don't last. Most of them are casual to start of with, and I always get told I am doing well, but then when the time comes to go for something more permanent, they say, sorry there is nothing available right now.
When I was younger, I think I really was too scared and not confident, and that came across. Then I had kids, and we started our business, so I did that for ten years, and toward the end of it I returned to Uni. I am hoping the business and studies offer enough of an explanation of 'what I have been doing all that time'.

My other big problem is lack of references. I have no-one suitable to speak for me. The last place I worked where anyone would remember me was over 12 years ago. Since then, The jobs I have done have been temporary and usually with too many others for the supervisors to remember me. I'd be reliable and hardworking, but it seemed no-one would figure it out before I had to leave because of studies or whatever. I don't feel comfortable to ask my Uni teachers. I just feel very much like no-one can see my positive qualities except me. When I'd work up the confidence to ask them for anything, like say, vacation work, should they hear of any, I'd never hear from them, so I'd figure they don't think I am worth asking.
It's odd. I believe in myself so much, yet I am so convinced no-one else does.
My biggest fear about getting a job is letting them down. I totally hate feeling incompetent.

I think that starting at the bottom then proving myself is the only option I have. Meanwhile, some young dipshits with the same degree, and less knowledge and a poorer attitude are going to walk into six figure salaries. I have watched them give each other answers in the practicals, taking turns to do the actual work, I have seen them cut and paste their assignments, and I have had to explain basic second year concepts they should have known, but instead they end up arguing with me, until they look it up and suddenly don't want to talk to me anymore.
I tried to get along with them, but they can't see me as anything but a middle aged reject.
Maybe that is why I am so uncertain about my prospects.

By the way, it is mainly girls who do this. The boys are usually much better, and see me as just another dickhead in the class, which is the way I like it.

If you've been running a business then mention that in your application and what you've learnt from it - you haven't got a 'real' gap in that case. It certainly seems like you've got a lot to talk about for your skills (referring to the bit where you said what you did), but have trouble 'selling them'. Consider getting someone else to help you practise this. Also consider asking for references from your Uni lecturers anyway - the worst thing that can happen is they say no.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:49 am

I know you are right, and I should ask them. It is so hard for me to do that, but I will try to make myself, when it is time.

The business thing is part of what I think of as 'telling a story'. If I prepare a solid history about my life, I may be able to look solid. I am not to bad at 'bragging on paper', but in person, I am a jellyfish.
I might see if my Uni has resources to help with this. I am going to see a psyc professor who know about aspies, and hope she can suggest something.
But you know how hard these things are in reality, as compared to in theory. :(