Advice on narrowing down a thesis topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 3:38 am

I'm in the process of figuring out how to get back to university to do a research degree. I already have a course-work based Master's, but ultimately I'm aiming for a PhD. I'll probably have to get an MPhil first, though.

As part of this process, I'm searching for potential advisors. I emailed the relevant department at one of the universities that I'm considering, outlining my research interests:

Quote:
I am writing because I am in the process of applying to complete an MPhil in the area of music through UQ.

I am particularly interested in abnormalities of musical perception and performance, and am searching for potential advisors with similar interests.

Do you know of anyone who may be suitable?

I received this reply:

Quote:
So that we may assist and provide direction, would you please provide more detail regarding your topic of interest?

I'm not sure what she wants from me; whether she wants more detail on all my interests in this area (which are too wide-ranging for a single thesis), or whether she wants me to narrow it down to a particular topic.

So, I have 2 questions here:

1. What would be best: narrow it down, or elaborate?
2. Typically speaking, how specific is the research topic of a Master's thesis?

Thanks for your help.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 4:27 am

I've noticed on university websites that those who supervise post-grads usually provide information about their specific areas of interest within the wider subject area. Maybe looking at the departmental websites will give you an idea.