Please sea:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/v ... ists-video

To the Japanese whalers I say: Banzai!

ruveyn

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:56 am

On the one hand, I think the Japanese, more than any other country, is overfishing the world's oceans, especially for fish like bluefin tuna. I would not be surprised if they go extinct, and indeed, I have given up fish from my diet for this reason (which is really not hard for a landlocked American to do).

On the other hand, I applaud the Japanese for protecting their property. Did they destroy the Rainbow Warrior II?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

The Graudian might just as well have written, Sea Shepherd Activists Put Themselves in Harm's Way. [obligatory typos omitted]

I have zero sympathy.

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

20 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

i'm sorta sad the Japanese didn't sink one.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

Well it is a difficult choice for me, I neither approve of people killing whales nor do I approve of heavy handed environmentalists who use force to get their way. While I am not a great fan of Greenpeace the fact that they are not violent makes me feel more sympathy for them than the "Sea Shepard" activists.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 6:34 pm

Ramba_Ral wrote:
i'm sorta sad the Japanese didn't sink one.

Harpooning the Sea Shepherds would be better.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Well it is a difficult choice for me, I neither approve of people killing whales nor do I approve of heavy handed environmentalists who use force to get their way. While I am not a great fan of Greenpeace the fact that they are not violent makes me feel more sympathy for them than the "Sea Shepard" activists.

The Sea Shepherds are pirates and eco-terrorists.

By all rights they should be apprehended and summarily executed on the high seas. Hanging from the yardarm is the way to deal with pirates.

ruveyn

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

F U WHALE!! !!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:32 pm

Japanese people crashing vehicles into other vehicles on purpose? I for one am shocked, as this is completely unprecedented. Does their language even have a word for that?

:lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:29 am

Sea Shepherds need cannons. Freaking naval cannons from the 17th Century (roll 'em out!).

It'd be epic. Harpoon and Kamikaze versus cannonball. Until all the fun is ruined and modern weapons are brought in by the Japanese.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:32 am

Antarctica is awesome.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

The Sea Sheperd people are ecoterrorists and have been endangering the lives of the Japanese fishermen for years. I would be completely supportive if the Japanese sent naval vessels and arrested them and sunk their boats. That's what Russia would do. If only more people took Russia's stance on people like this.

Do I fully agree with the Japanese whaling? No. However, they are doing it sustainably, on species that aren't at all threatened. It's not a problem.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

WardenWolf wrote:
The Sea Sheperd people are ecoterrorists and have been endangering the lives of the Japanese fishermen for years. I would be completely supportive if the Japanese sent naval vessels and arrested them and sunk their boats. That's what Russia would do. If only more people took Russia's stance on people like this.

Do I fully agree with the Japanese whaling? No. However, they are doing it sustainably, on species that aren't at all threatened. It's not a problem.

At this point in history ecosystem destruction through pollution and climate change are a bigger threat to local whale populations than small time whaling vessels. The Sea Shepard people are windmill tilters IMHO.

It doesn't look like the Japanese vessel tried to chase down and ram their boat as they claim. More like they were playing a game of chicken by getting in the way of a much larger ship and lost. One of these times they're going to get sunk or someone will get thrown overboard and drown. Then they will try to label themselves martyrs.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Japanese people crashing vehicles into other vehicles on purpose? I for one am shocked, as this is completely unprecedented. Does their language even have a word for that?

:lol:

鶏肉を遊ぶ

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 9:56 am

One of my most favorite quotes from Steven Fry's tour of America was when he visited the Alaskan Eskimos. The camera pans across a parking lot and you see a green dumpster (that is filled with fermenting whale meat). On the side it reads "SAVE THE WHALES...for Dinner".

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:38 am

Neither side can escape Karma.

The japanese whalers are full of s**t with their 'research' claims and the Sea Shepherd are the only ones with the balls to go down their and defend a peaceful and protected life form that is in protected waters. Whaling is an ancient and unnecessary atrocity in this day and age.