Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Stabbitha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

Hey, I'm Stabbitha. I'm New. I was wondering if you could help shed a little light...

Last week I received my Official Formal DX for Aspergers (still in shock, 29 yrs old never and thought I'd get it on paper). I was tested for AS and the PsychDr always referred to it as AS.

My DX is HFA?

I thought HFA was DX'd when there was a speech and learning delay but I could talk in sentences at the age of 18 Months, was walking at 11 months and have a high IQ (feck all common sense, mind).

In my last appointment I remember the Dr correcting himself..he said 'I can safely say you have very High Fuctioning Aspergers, well, High Functioning Autism'. but I didn't really pick up on that until afterwards and thought nothing of it.

I'm so confused.

Also what could he mean by 'very'. My mum says that this means there isn't anything wrong with me but the reason I pursued a DX in the first place was to prove to her there was (difficult relationship).

I know you aren't professionals but anyone have any ideas? I am in North wales btw.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2013, 10:42 am

your doctor may have diagnosed you in lieu of upcoming changes in the dsm V (i do not know if that is even relevant in your country). so it may be that all people currently diagnosed with AS will be considered HFA. it seems like the label "asperger's syndrome" is being phased out, anyway.

Last edited by wornlight on 21 Feb 2013, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sackcoat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

Yep. Asperger's as a diagnosis is on its way out. It will be HFA from now on. I mean, he may also have been correcting himself -- Asperger's is high functioning autism. I've never heard anyone say "high functioning asperger's" I don't think.

Stabbitha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2013, 10:56 am

It did sound like he was correcting himself.

Cacao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

Doctors / Confusion / Autism - that is so typical. Ask the doctor.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

In the US it might be being phased out, but not in the UK. We use the IDC here and according to the American Psychiatric Association:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/10/icd-dsm.aspx

...it's more likely that the DSM will be phased out in favour of the IDC which is international:

Quote:
The ICD is produced by a global health agency with a constitutional public health mission, while the DSM is produced by a single national professional association.

WHO's primary focus for the mental and behavioral disorders classification is to help countries to reduce the disease burden of mental disorders. ICD's development is global, multidisciplinary and multilingual; the primary constituency of the DSM is U.S. psychiatrists.

The ICD is approved by the World Health Assembly, composed of the health ministers of all 193 WHO member countries; the DSM is approved by the assembly of the American Psychiatric Association, a group much like APA's Council of Representatives.

The ICD is distributed as broadly as possible at a very low cost, with substantial discounts to low-income countries, and available free on the Internet; the DSM generates a very substantial portion of the American Psychiatric Association's revenue, not only from sales of the book itself, but also from related products and copyright permissions for books and scientific articles.

Will the DSM be superseded by the ICD? There is little justification for maintaining the DSM as a separate diagnostic system from the ICD in the long run, particularly given the U.S. government's substantial engagement with WHO in the area of classification systems. But, said Reed, "there would still be a role for the DSM, because it contains a lot of additional information that will never be part of the ICD. In the future, it may be viewed as an important textbook of psychiatric diagnosis rather than as the diagnostic 'Bible.'"

Probably in the same way our Government in the UK behaves like puppy dog to the USA Government, some clinicians here are probably worried about diagnosing AS because of what's happening in the US with the DSM revision and being unsure as to how it affects the UK. We still use the IDC and will likely continue to do so, and unless it is revised in a similar way to the DSM, AS still stands as a diagnosis.

OP your clinician corrected himself because Asperger's is already high-functioning so you can't say "high-functioning Asperger's". When he said "very" in relation to your high-functioning status he probably meant that you have either a high IQ or very good verbal skills. AS is on a spectrum (or at least everyone has their own mix of the traits) just as much as the whole of autism is.

I don't know why he diagnosed you HFA instead of AS, as you say you had no speech delay so technically it's not the correct diagnosis. He is probably just unsure because of knowing about the DSM being updated and making assumptions because he's not bothered finding out.

You probably ought to call him and ask him to clarify. Good luck with getting your mum to recognise your ASC status.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum