Possibly ironic? Simon Baron-Cohen...

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 10:27 am

...as many of you will know, Professor Baron-Cohen (the well-known Asperger's expert based in The Autism Research Centre in Cambridge, England) has a famous cousin, Sacha Baron-Cohen the star of Ali G, Borat, Bruno and The Dictator.

I've just seen this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ywood.html

...in which he is described as (copied and pasted from the article):

Quote:
A recluse

Quote:
makes a laughing stock of unwitting celebrities and members of the public [like a career out of social faux pas and tactlessness!]

Quote:
he kept his personal life and personality hidden

Quote:
refuses to be interviewed other than ‘in character’ when promoting his comic creations.

Quote:
a Cambridge history graduate

Quote:
walls are hung with modern art, and Baron Cohen has quietly become a noted collector lavishing millions on his passion

Quote:
Sacha cuts a reclusive figure, rarely venturing out other than to drive himself

Quote:
Sacha rarely emerges without a hat and sunglasses

Quote:
Isla [his wife] says Sacha finds attending Beverly Hills parties uncomfortable — he recently mistook Diane Keaton for her fellow actress Annette Benning, and asked A-list movie star Cate Blanchett what she did for a living.

Quote:
Sacha is totally unlike almost every star in Hollywood. He is cripplingly shy, a sort of academic, and a little bit melancholy. He makes no pretence that he would rather be reading a very serious book than swanning around at parties

Quote:
fame-hating Baron Cohen prepares his disguises to avoid recognition

...he sounds exactly like an Aspie doesn't he! Wonder if that's why Simon went into that specific area of psychology. Has Sacha been "outed"?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:15 am

ITs from the daily mail though.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:26 am

ianorlin wrote:

Meaning what? Even if a newspaper can't be held up as a paragon of virtue, they still have some responsibility to themselves not to incur litigation. They have quoted multiple sources by name, probably all of which can afford to sue if they are misquoted or lies are made up.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Feb 2013, 12:53 pm

Things that cause cancer, according to... The Daily Mail.
http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-st ... to-z.html/

It's a vacuous tittle-tattle rag, a noise-generator made of paper - nothing more.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

That still doesn't mean that this article is untrue, or that the quotes were not actually spoken by the named people.

I've seen quite a lot of tosh on the Anorak website itself. (pot, kettle...)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Feb 2013, 1:12 pm

I don't really care that the Anorak site quite probably is tosh, because it still makes a good point about that "newspaper" in general and more to the point, links to actual pages - and while none of it is proof that this specific article is any different to the usual mindless drivel The Daily Mail publishes, I see nothing about it which indicates it isn't, either.
What I do see though is idle speculation and pointless "showbiz" tittle-tattle which doesn't actually attempt to establish anything of use or merit at all. It simply fills a space.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

Although not quite the right saying...

"Many a true word is spoken in jest."

We of course have no proof either way, clearly your views about the newspaper in question have totally coloured your response in any case.

The thread is not meant as a ground-breaking, mind-blowing, utterly serious matter. It's just an observation, along the lines of 'oh look, there's a turn up for the books' level of interest. Would be nice to have peoples' views on it, rather than a character assassination of whichever newspaper it appeared in.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other newspapers with the same type of story on him you are welcome to trash if you like:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 49739.html
http://www.newshour24.com/2013/02/22/14 ... dicule.htm
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/the- ... mic-838574

Plenty more if you Google. If they are all liars and he is not "famously reclusive" and all those people who know him haven't really said those things about him, perhaps they are all happy to be sued.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

So a gossipy rag publishes a speculative article on its showbiz pages and you go looking to take it seriously and back it up like it's saying something relevant, important or of use? Using similar, showbiz tittle-tattle stories from other newspapers?
Well, good luck with that one... :wink:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
ianorlin wrote:

Meaning what? Even if a newspaper can't be held up as a paragon of virtue, they still have some responsibility to themselves not to incur litigation. They have quoted multiple sources by name, probably all of which can afford to sue if they are misquoted or lies are made up.

The Daily Mail is a well-known tabloid and has actually been sued for claims made in their articles. A popular vernacular label for it is "The Daily Fail."

My habit has been for a long time to find corroborating stories elsewhere after finding a story on the Daily Mail's website. They're not always wrong, but I do not think they're reliable enough to use as a primary source.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

Cornflake wrote:
So a gossipy rag publishes a speculative article on its showbiz pages and you go looking to take it seriously and back it up like it's saying something relevant, important or of use? Using similar, showbiz tittle-tattle stories from other newspapers?
Well, good luck with that one... :wink:

Yawn.

Don't worry, we all have days like you're having :lol:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:39 pm

Is there anyone on the forum at the moment who is interested in more than trashing newspapers!

:roll:

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:00 pm

Were you hoping for stimulating discussion? I can't really see what the point would be, even if the article's claims had any merit. Then again, I don't like gossiping about celebrities.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Is there anyone on the forum at the moment who is interested in more than trashing newspapers!

:roll:

I don't typically trash newspapers. I offered factual information regarding the Daily Mail.

As far as Sacha Baron-Cohen, I don't really know much about him and I do not think that a gossip article is likely to illustrate him being autistic. For all we know, the Mail writer cherry picked examples to emphasize the possibility that Sacha Baron-Cohen might be autistic.

I am also a bit confused about how Sacha being autistic would reflect on Simon Baron-Cohen.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:09 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Although not quite the right saying...

"Many a true word is spoken in jest."

We of course have no proof either way, clearly your views about the newspaper in question have totally coloured your response in any case.

The thread is not meant as a ground-breaking, mind-blowing, utterly serious matter. It's just an observation, along the lines of 'oh look, there's a turn up for the books' level of interest. Would be nice to have peoples' views on it, rather than a character assassination of whichever newspaper it appeared in.

In the meantime, there are plenty of other newspapers with the same type of story on him you are welcome to trash if you like:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 49739.html
http://www.newshour24.com/2013/02/22/14 ... dicule.htm
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/the- ... mic-838574

Plenty more if you Google. If they are all liars and he is not "famously reclusive" and all those people who know him haven't really said those things about him, perhaps they are all happy to be sued.
I don't see why the original topic matters that much so what if he is I still don't see how this effects me at all. I do think his characters fo what I know of them are not made to be taken seriously. So he might have satire as a special interest.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that's old news. I think I remember reading Simon saying somewhere that he and Sacha have an agreement-- when they're together, they don't talk shop. They agree to leave AS and Borat the hell alone, and talk about something other than work.

Although, in my own speculative little mind, I can see the whole thing being a sociology experiment that a couple of really smart possibly spectrum teenagers dreamed up one summer...

While we're making celebrity diagnoses, has anyone dug up any spectrum dirt on Charles Darwin??? Wouldn't that be funny??? If social Darwinism says we deserve to be mistreated, that it's only the natural order, and Darwin was an Aspie, that would be really funny, wouldn't it???

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:44 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
Were you hoping for stimulating discussion? I can't really see what the point would be, even if the article's claims had any merit. Then again, I don't like gossiping about celebrities.

Well I don't class it as gossip, so that's where we differ. Having previously defended Wrong Planet's tone to other members who said it was full of negativity, I'm beginning to see what they mean. I wasn't hoping for anything other than decent human beings having reasonable comments. Clearly the decent ones are having the night off.

Hasn't anyone heard of a conversation, which is neither the depths of seriousness nor as "stimulating" as as bungee jumping.

It's great isn't it. First a moderator no less, breaks the rules about not making comments that insult the person (only the idea) and then the only other people who bother replying are those with negatives jibes or sarcasm.

Have a nice Friday night won't you.

I will still wait to see if anyone decent replies.