Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 2:57 pm

Any of you ever thought of living in the woods, or a cave, or digging yourself a bunker and becoming a proper hermit?

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

Moppy wrote:
Any of you ever thought of living in the woods, or a cave, or digging yourself a bunker and becoming a proper hermit?

not really, I get cold easily and I am bad at living without a bath or my bed. Although if you mean wanting to isolate yourself from society than i get where your coming from.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:09 pm

Moppy wrote:

Yes, but I always talked myself out of it or chickened out. I like the comforts of home too much to leave them and live in the wild. Besides, I probably wouldn't last very long.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:10 pm

It's a good description of my life metaphorically speaking anyway.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

I already live in a cave.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 3:14 pm

Seems as if a bunch of us are scared of the idea. I say we should meet up and build our homes together, and then go off and do our seperate thing and help eachother out occasionally.
Cave people!

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

Moppy wrote:
Seems as if a bunch of us are scared of the idea. I say we should meet up and build our homes together, and then go off and do our seperate thing and help eachother out occasionally.
Cave people!

You mean start a new community? I'm not sure how well that would turn out.

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

It wouldn't really be much of a community, more like a semi-shared land, we'd mostly keep to ourselves.
Seen that documentary, The Strangest Village in britain? Those mentalists were alright. And we'd just be living in cave systems and in the woods. It'd be kind of like something of Deliverance to an outsider.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

I still don't think it end well. People would be sent out to look for us, and then what?

Besides, I'm not good at hunting, and I don't know which plants and fungi are edible. I think most people would say the same thing. We could eat carrion, I suppose, but someone could get sick. We could cook the carrion, but I don't know how to make a fire and keep the fire under control. I think most people would say the same thing.

By the way, are you just joking?

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm

I'm half joking.
I'm no eating no carrion, I am not a crow.
We'd probably thieve loads of tinned food first, then get books on how to grow plants, and what plants you can eat.
People don't have enough adventure, people say they like the idea, but they never DO IT. THEY SAY IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN, IT'LL NEVER WORK!
WELL ADVENTURE TIME.
"It won't end well".
Well, wouldn't it be lovely if we tried?
EDIT: We don't need to thief food REALLY, we could maybe buy the first lot.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

Moppy wrote:
People don't have enough adventure, people say they like the idea, but they never DO IT. THEY SAY IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN, IT'LL NEVER WORK!

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people you're talking about.

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 4:20 pm

Ridiculous.
So. No one's in?
Because I will truly be up for this.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

When I was a teenager my fantasy was to have a van (a blue van) and just wander around camping out in the woods, getting work where I could for a little money now and then. It was to be just me and a very big dog - I wanted an Irish Wolfhound.

It's possible I watched too much "Kung Fu" and "Then Came Bronson." It seemed to be a strange fantasy for a girl, so I kept it to myself. I also wrote stories about hermit-like people. I think that helped satisfy that part of me to some degree.

It was just a fantasy after all, I never did that. But since taking early retirement I am more or less a hermit - at least a stay-at-home. Me, my cats and my spouse. I don't go out much. It's kind of refreshing when I do, because I do it so seldom and I have the freedom to be on my own most of the time.

Moppy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2013, 5:09 pm

Woah. Woah.
I'm not being funny, but that fantasy you said is EXACTLY mine, right down to the Irish wolfhound.
Damn it.
DAMN IT.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

I would love to live in a cave! Converted into a house with all the modern appliances and such, but with the natural cave walls. That'd be super-cool! Now I wouldn't do it for isolation or anything, just for the coolness factor of it! Could go on cave strolls in the evening, make echos when I'm bored, go fishing for those blind cave fish...the possibilities are endless!!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 9:17 pm

Not many natural caves out there. You'd have to make one, which would be far more effort than making a simple log cabin (which are quite livable).

I'll eventually build a log cabin here (I live in a forest).