Does This Noise Help Make You Less Overloaded?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

Warning, the link contains noise, deep bass with white noise.

I found this sound, and all of the sudden it's not like my head wants to fly off in 5 directions from overload (be it sensory, social, etc) I actually feel like it's wrapping around my brain and calming it down. It's a weighted blanket for my brain.

Here is the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqCoUvz_nwI

Just curious as to how others experience the noise in relation to their autism symptoms.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

OMG. I don't know if this is some sort of placebo effect (i.e. that I was expecting it to work so it did), but when I listened to it, it sort of un-muddied my brain. It suddenly felt a clearer sensation flood all over it. How is it that this works and what made you find this? Is there some research about it? It almost sounds like womb sounds.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

Part of me wonders if it's an autistic thing, because my autistic friend reacted the same too, so that's why I'm posting it here - to see if others get the same reaction.

What made me find it was looking for ambient noise to help me sleep. I saw the words Star Trek, and clicked. It was exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea how it works, but I'll do some googling.

--Abbie Hoffman

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

I like it but I also like the rainstorm videos you can get on youtube which have a calming effect.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

It does seem to help, although as I just got out of bed I don't feel particularly overloaded yet.

Somberlain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

It is great but at the loop start/end, there is a short silence which ruins the pleasure a bit.

English is not my native language. 1000th edit, here I come.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

I just can't get enough of the sound. It's like being in a weighted blanket.

Somberlain, wow, you have sensitive ears! I can't hear the loop stop/starting. (But things like someone whistling cause me pain and I can hear conversations in another room.)

--Abbie Hoffman

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

Dots wrote:

I found this sound, and all of the sudden it's not like my head wants to fly off in 5 directions from overload (be it sensory, social, etc) I actually feel like it's wrapping around my brain and calming it down. It's a weighted blanket for my brain.

Just curious as to how others experience the noise in relation to their autism symptoms.

i dont like it, actually makes me feel strange. :?

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:44 pm

franknfurter wrote:
Dots wrote:

i dont like it, actually makes me feel strange. :?

ha seems im in the minority, to me it kind of makes me feel like im being suffocated, music makes me feel calmer though. :D

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:48 pm

Nothing wrong with having different preferences. :)

Music actually agitates me when I'm in a sensory or social overload. That's why I love this. I need some aural input to interrupt the meltdown loop in my brain, but music agitates it - and this works like magic.

--Abbie Hoffman

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

White noise is great. :) It blocks all the little things you would normally be trying to process, so I bet it does reduce the load on your sensory system by "blurring" the sounds coming in so that you are not constantly dealing with all the little details. Apparently NTs can do this automatically--block out unimportant details--but it means they are more likely to miss important ones. Even so, many NTs like white noise too. It does take some effort to figure out what's significant and what isn't even if you are NT and you do it subconsciously.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CharlieSheen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

I love the hum of machines in general especially bassy, well kept diesels with a long cycle - in my head i like to tune in to the ticking and figure out the source of each little noise that I can hear. i guess our sensory issues have a couple perks? I know it's handy for my work because I'm the only one in class who can discern how hardened metal is becoming by its sound (with any modulation between total soft/hard).

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2013, 3:07 pm

I like it a lot. I'm sure plenty of people feel this way too, but I've always found that I relax the best and sleep the soundest when a fan is running, even without the air blowing on me. I actually can't stand complete silence. I was on vacation once, way out in a quiet resort/biking type establishment when the power cut off. It was absolutely, utterly silent. Not even the faintest sound and it nearly caused a panic attack.

timatron
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2013, 6:07 pm

No I can't stand it, it makes me stressed. But all perstitant noise makes me slightly stressed. I prefer quietness. There are plenty of studies that show persistant ambient noise like this raise cortisol levels. I have mildly high levels so it makes me worse. If this relaxes or energises you I'm speculating that it might raise your low cortisol levels to bring it in the normal range...

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

I guess people have different tastes in sound. I couldn't stand it. It grates on my nerves. It pretty badly distresses me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

It helped me sleep for another few hours after I last posted in this thread. When the sound cut out toward the end it woke me up, however.

I always have a fan running. I find it much harder to sleep without any ambient noise because all the other little noises keep catching my attention.