Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 3:14 am

I am so stressed out. I am fed up of this planet. It IS the wrong planet. Every time I go to a café, I see people talking with intonations in their voices, gesticulations, facial expressions, it just overloads me; I cannot process it at all, it's so confusing, I don't understand any of it. When I talk to people I never make eye contact (in fact I don't even look at their upper body at all) because looking at any body language sends my brain into processing attempt overdrive. I cannot understand body language / tone of voice AT ALL. And the figures of speech, why do NTs have to use them????

I am getting daily overload with every single human contact, ever single voice I hear spoken, even on the radio, because my brain starts trying to process and understand the deeper meaning behind what they're saying.

Should I just shut myself away from the world to protect myself from total exhaustion? I don't want to go totally non-verbal or have another relapse. Already I'm having anger attacks.

Also I keep saying the "wrong" thing. For example, my support worker said that I shouldn't have posted "who is dead?" when someone posted "RIP :( xxx" on Facebook. I didn't see a problem with that but apparently it's wrong. I am finding social interaction a bewildering challenge and people are saying I'm "weird" and "strange" and terminating conversations with me.

My psychiatrist says that my Asperger's is on the "severe" end, whatever that means. What do I do about social interaction and handling it? How can I lead a normal-ish life?????

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 3:26 am

First, I've never been diagnosed with Aspergers. I score quite high on the tests that we've all seen, but in real life there are days when I seriously doubt that I have it and other days that I think it is quite likely.

I never really noticed how much of the world I didn't understand until I started actually paying attention to it instead of just ignoring what I didn't understand.

It is quite common that someone will tell me something that I did not expect at all. When that happens, I usually don't say anything because I need to think about it a while. Then the next time I see them, I might bring it up and ask questions about it. In the process, I suspect that they get the feeling that I'm not paying any attention to it at all.

At restaurants, my preference is to take something to read, preferably a magazine but a newspaper will do in place of a magazine. That way I can completely ignore everyone else.

SteelMaiden wrote:
For example, my support worker said that I shouldn't have posted "who is dead?" when someone posted "RIP xxx" on Facebook. I didn't see a problem with that but apparently it's wrong.

Hmmm. I don't see a problem with it, either. Why did your support worker say it is wrong?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 5:36 am

I don't think asking the question "who is dead?" is wrong either, but I think maybe NTs prefer it to be phrased as "who passed away?" because 'dead' is a blunt word.

If I'm wrong with that, then I really don't know why it's wrong either.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 6:52 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
Also I keep saying the "wrong" thing. For example, my support worker said that I shouldn't have posted "who is dead?" when someone posted "RIP :( xxx" on Facebook. I didn't see a problem with that but apparently it's wrong. I am finding social interaction a bewildering challenge and people are saying I'm "weird" and "strange" and terminating conversations with me.

I don't understand why NTs get offended by things like this. It seems like a normal question to me.

Quote:
What do I do about social interaction and handling it? How can I lead a normal-ish life?????

I'm not sure I can lead a normal life. Lately I just want to shut myself in my room and sleep for the rest of my life. Life seems like a punishment to me and I've realized over the past few years that it's not going to change.
All I can suggest is trying not to focus on what you can't do. The rejections aren't going to go away, so try to not take them too seriously. I keep myself going by thinking that reincarnation is a possibility. If I survive this life and do a reasonable job of trying my best, perhaps I'll be reborn on the right planet.

reneeirena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2013, 9:10 am

I do get overloaded very easily and I don't understand humans most of the time. (And everyone says I should stop calling them "humans") I tend to overcompensate for this by analysing everything that comes my way. It doesn't help that I'm a linguist cos that just makes it so much more complicated sometimes...

awesomeautist
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2013, 9:14 am

reneeirena wrote:
I do get overloaded very easily and I don't understand humans most of the time. (And everyone says I should stop calling them "humans") I tend to overcompensate for this by analysing everything that comes my way. It doesn't help that I'm a linguist cos that just makes it so much more complicated sometimes...

You're human too you know. NTs are the same species, just with mental differences. NTs are human, aspies are human, you and me are human. Would you think it acceptable if an NT labelled say a kid with Down Syndrome a separate species? Didn't think so.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm

I don't understand either why asking "who is dead?" is also wrong. I usually ask "who died?" That sounds like something anyone would ask.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Quote:
For example, my support worker said that I shouldn't have posted "who is dead?" when someone posted "RIP xxx" on Facebook. I didn't see a problem with that but apparently it's wrong.

I think this kind of thing is going to get only worse and worse. Not only do NT's prefer to beat around the bush on subjects like death, but with the US nation (I cant speak for other nations) going so politically correct, it's bound to get worse. Everyone here seems so afraid that they are going to hurt someones feelings, you can't say anything. What is wrong with the word dead, death, or whatever?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

Don't withdraw completely, if you can help it, but do find some of the things that really overload you and cut those out so you can focus on putting some more useful supports in place. Those cafes that overwhelm you so much--could you stay away from them and instead have lunch in a more quiet location, with a friend or two perhaps? Are there sensory things that overload you? If so, you could modify things a little to remove some of the extra input. If you're trying to do too much, drop something nonessential. You only have so much energy and it is okay not to try to go beyond that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I am so stressed out. I am fed up of this planet. It IS the wrong planet. Every time I go to a café, I see people talking with intonations in their voices, gesticulations, facial expressions, it just overloads me; I cannot process it at all, it's so confusing, I don't understand any of it. When I talk to people I never make eye contact (in fact I don't even look at their upper body at all) because looking at any body language sends my brain into processing attempt overdrive. I cannot understand body language / tone of voice AT ALL. And the figures of speech, why do NTs have to use them????

I am getting daily overload with every single human contact, ever single voice I hear spoken, even on the radio, because my brain starts trying to process and understand the deeper meaning behind what they're saying.

Should I just shut myself away from the world to protect myself from total exhaustion? I don't want to go totally non-verbal or have another relapse. Already I'm having anger attacks.

My psychiatrist says that my Asperger's is on the "severe" end, whatever that means. What do I do about social interaction and handling it? How can I lead a normal-ish life?????

Yes, the world is horribly confusing and exhausting.

I also hav trouble with "anger attacks." This is the first time I've thought of anger in that way, and that's a great phrase because it often feels like that doesn't it? On my better days I feel like I hav so many ways of coping, but then I feel controlled by my emotions on my bad days. Like today. : /

As for the facebook post....NTs feel a need for euphamisms for certain sensitive issues. In our minds there is nothing wrong with asking what's on everyone's mind anyway, and believe me I've been told several times that something I asked or said was on the NT mind but just something they wouldn't say. It took me many years to learn that when an NT said it was something they wouldn't say that they meant it was really wrong for me to say it.

I also hav to analyze everything and its so exhausting. I'm starting to think this is why people like us retreated from society in previous generations. It was just far easier and a far happier existance to keep to themselves if they could.

I would say leading a somewhat normal life comes down to what you want and knowing your limitations.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

Maiden, at the risk of confusing you even more, I would not recommend not looking above somebody's waste when talking; it might give them the wrong idea. Being male, I learned this the hard way since women thought I was staring at intimate parts of their bodies and it tended to creep them out even though leering was hardly what I had in mind. I'm guessing that if you were to do this to some men, they might get the wrong idea and think you are coming on to them.

People who know me know I have a hearing loss, and so this makes it okay to cock my good ear toward them and I don't have to look directly into their eyes, even though my hearing isn't all that bad. But they don't have to know that. Another trick I learned in boot camp was while standing at attention we were supposed to focus on infinity--in other words, focusing on something behind the person you are conversing with. You need to find a coping technique that works for you.

Good luck!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

I find the vast majority of the human population to be confusing. They give off mixed messages.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

:)

whirlingmind wrote:
I don't think asking the question "who is dead?" is wrong either, but I think maybe NTs prefer it to be phrased as "who passed away?" because 'dead' is a blunt word.

If I'm wrong with that, then I really don't know why it's wrong either.

yes i think the bluntness is whats wrong with it, although it depends really, if someone asked me that i would just be happy that someone has taken an interest, but i think passed away does sound better. :)

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

just thinking about it more and im certain that who passed away is a good response, so maybe use that next time. :)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Maiden, at the risk of confusing you even more, I would not recommend not looking above somebody's waste when talking; it might give them the wrong idea. Being male, I learned this the hard way since women thought I was staring at intimate parts of their bodies and it tended to creep them out even though leering was hardly what I had in mind. I'm guessing that if you were to do this to some men, they might get the wrong idea and think you are coming on to them.

About three years ago when my mother was still alive, she was in the hospital a number of times. I would go to the hospital and spend the night keeping an eye on her. One night when there I was talking to a nurse and she kept staring at my crotch. After I went back into my mother's room and sat down, I looked down and noticed that I had failed to zip my pants back up before leaving the restroom down the hall.

For some reason, if someone leaves their pants unzipped, it is almost impossible not to look.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

I had to think about why the "Who is dead" phrase is jarring.

It is custom to use euphemisms to those upset and close to the deceased, to "ease" them into acceptance and habit of missing the person.
"Dead" is a final word, a slap to the psyche and likely to bring a renewed sense of overwhelming grief and loss.

So, to use the phrase about someone you know indicates that the person's death and the feelings of those grieving are of no concern to you.