Why do so few Britons holiday in Germany?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Dare I ask - - is this Anti-German prejudice directed at just citizens of Germany? Or does it include Americans of German extraction as myself?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

You must not feel ashamed or guilty just because the Devil was one of your ancestors. Nobody chooses their parents.

ruveyn

Actually, both sides of my family had left Germany in the 19th century - quite awhile before Satan took up residency in Germany.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:02 am

the post says why dont britons vacation in deutchland.maybe its because you cant get a non stop flight from cardiff to berlin.the britons are only found in wales.the english are mostly saxon,norman or jutes.the welsh are the only pure bread britons left from pre roman,pre saxon,pre danish,and of coarse pre norman conquests

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
the post says why dont britons vacation in deutchland.maybe its because you cant get a non stop flight from cardiff to berlin.the britons are only found in wales.the english are mostly saxon,norman or jutes.the welsh are the only pure bread britons left from pre roman,pre saxon,pre danish,and of coarse pre norman conquests

Although the Welsh have the strongest claim to being the true 'Britons',here in the west of Scotland we can also make the claim.
The ancient Briitish Kingdom of Strathclyde stretched from the Glasgow area down to north Wales and had its capital at Dumbarton.
whose name in Gaelic means 'fort of the Britons'. The surname of William 'Braveheart' Wallace originally meant 'Welsh'.

Regards the original question,I think the main reason people in the UK don't holiday so much in Germany is because they're simply not aware
of its many attractions as a holiday destination. If people around the world held grudges over bygone conflicts,then hardly anyone in the world would visit the UK !

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 6:17 am

I found a hotel room for 40 euros in Berlin and the standard was very high and clean.......marble bathroom ;)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:06 am

pluto wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Although the Welsh have the strongest claim to being the true 'Britons',here in the west of Scotland we can also make the claim.
The ancient Briitish Kingdom of Strathclyde stretched from the Glasgow area down to north Wales and had its capital at Dumbarton.
whose name in Gaelic means 'fort of the Britons'. The surname of William 'Braveheart' Wallace originally meant 'Welsh'.

Regards the original question,I think the main reason people in the UK don't holiday so much in Germany is because they're simply not aware
of its many attractions as a holiday destination. If people around the world held grudges over bygone conflicts,then hardly anyone in the world would visit the UK !
And we spoke old Welsh here too. Like everywhere, we've had visitors and invaders, who stayed, but DNA studies have shown that, on average, we're just as ancient British as the Welsh. I do think the OP just used the term 'Briton', to mean British people, but this has been an amusing tangent.

I think you're right about Germany. It's expensive too, probably because the package deals are few and far between. Weirdly, it's easy to get a flight to Salzburg in Austria and, because of the way the border lies, you actually pass through Germany to get to most of the holiday resorts in Austria. But, there are no resorts (not in the brochures anyway) in that part of Germany, so no-one gets dropped there. It's the same large region, with the same scenery, but only gets holiday destination status once you get over the border (again).

glow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:18 am

[quote="vermontsavant"] the post says why dont britons vacation in deutchland.maybe its because you cant get a non stop flight from cardiff to berlin.the britons are only found in wales.the english are mostly saxon,norman or jutes.the welsh are the only pure bread britons left from pre roman,pre saxon,pre danish,and of coarse pre norman conquests[/quote]

im enjoying this topical discussion as ive been to lichtenstein and up to the castle there. crowded, full of tourists and also hitlers nest, full of do-gooders. felt like the man was still up to his old tricks again, there were full of servants too. anyway, he was actually born in austria. should we form a mature bond over what
influence this country has with germany too? people there are much more pleasant and hospitable at the best of times and you could walk all over the border without a front line attack on all its citizens. so they're quite lucky really.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

i know the OP as well as many british use the term briton as slang and i see that all the time.my post was mostly kind of a joke,just havin a little fun.i like to counter slang with hyper literalism sometimes as a joke.i guess also using the term briton is more relivent because we know where the britons are.with the terms "hunic" vs. "hungarian is different because no one knows where the huns went and modern hugarians decended from magyars from russia and finland.there is no known connections between huns and hungarians.and turkic and turkish are a similar circumstance.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

Talking about the Huns,this was of course also used as a derogatory term for the German army (much in the same way that another ancient tribe,the Vandals,came to have their name blackened). Although considered an insult,the comparison was actually first used by Kaiser Wilhelm,who took it as a badge of honour to compare his army to a warlike tribe.

[quote ="Mummy_of_Peanut"] I think you're right about Germany. It's expensive too, probably because the package deals are few and far between. Weirdly, it's easy to get a flight to Salzburg in Austria and, because of the way the border lies, you actually pass through Germany to get to most of the holiday resorts in Austria. But, there are no resorts (not in the brochures anyway) in that part of Germany, so no-one gets dropped there. It's the same large region, with the same scenery, but only gets holiday destination status once you get over the border (again) [/quote]
Yes,you don't hear of many package deals to Germany,despite it probably having more picturesque castles than anywhere else in the world
and Bavaria's landscape being very similar to Austria. Bavaria also has the added attraction of beer festivals :)

glow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 5:47 pm

i also had a penpal from germany once, but alas the contact preety soon died out. i made more nicer friends in austria, where i was staying. although the last place was primarily a ski-ing resort, i found the life up there far from chilling, well, it was in the summer.. and i think i may have climbed every mountain up there in one full day. souvenir wise, i think they're fond of their schnapps but also of those little things that made the trip more worthwhile. :lol: even though i was pretty young, the swimming and the cycling payed off.
if you want to be reminded of a hot summer, look no further than the alpine districts.

Last edited by glow on 01 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I have a good German friend who lived in Reading for a year with her aunt. She said most Britons she met turned cold on her when they figured out she was German. Maybe the two nations do not like each other?

Unresolved cultural issues influenced by WWII, perhaps...