Do you think you're intimidating?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Beck27
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm diagnosed with Aspergers - my husband is not. He knows I have difficulty in social settings however he has never expressed his concern to me until two days ago. He basically told me I frequently come across as intimidating and he is afraid to tell me things alot because I might accuse him of doing something wrong or I might get upset. He says its not the things I say rather, it's the "tone" of my voice. I felt hurt and upset when he told me this. For the past two days I have been limiting what I say to him and to others out of fear that I might come across as intimidating or off-putting. Has anyone ever been told they come across as intimidating?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

No, I KNOW I'm intimidating. :wink:

I'm sorry you're going through this, I think it's sometimes part of the whole theory of mind / empathy package that we lack.

I especially have trouble at work when people are idiots. :lol: I've learned to change my communication style and approach, drastically, but it's taken a lot of work and I'm still not sure other people trust me not to bark.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

mv wrote:
No, I KNOW I'm intimidating. :wink:

Same.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

Actually, I've always gotten the impression people find me less intimidating than most people... at least in person, and in most situations. I don't generally approach other people, and I'm usually not very social when they approach me, but even so I get approached by random strangers fairly often when I'm out, and I was often the person people came to for help in school (after highschool at least) and at work. I didn't socialize much, but people always seemed comfortable approaching me and I've gotten the impression I come across as very non-threatening and non-confrontational.

I guess it can go either way, depending on the person -- some come across as threatening despite peaceful intentions, others come across as harmless even when they're angry.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:06 pm

I don't think I am

CharlieSheen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

yes and it's a good thing, NT can't be trusted to respect someone who's vulnerable or just simply different. Being intimidating is a new thing I picked up because apparently I'll have the same number of real, trustworthy friends whether or not I treat the average slob like a criminal

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 3:53 pm

Maybe boring but not intimidating

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

Hmm, interesting... At the gym where I worked until very recently, many members, male and female, told me point blank that I'm intimidating. I dunno what, if anything, I can do about it (especially as I don't understand what I'm doing to *be* "intimidating" in the first place!)... :evil:

~Steve Jobs

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 4:51 pm

Yes

I've been told I'm scary when I lose my temper and I've been called aggressive

If that's what it takes to keep people off my back that's what it takes!

aspiesandra27
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:00 pm

If people rub me up the wrong way...yes.

Which happens a lot at work. I avoid social interactions because I will lose my rag often.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

Not really but at least people don't see me as a pushover either. I've been sticking up for myself more lately :)

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 7:03 am

People say I look busy :)

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

Probably to some. I'm tall, pudgy, and with an extremely short crew cut and always a blank expression on my face. Put together, this might be intimidating for those used to boisterous Brad Pitt clones.

I also am prone to (not intentionally) dominating some conversations on subjects I find myself knowledgeable in, so that might also contribute to an intimidating demeanor.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

Classmates I've had in the past have told me that I'm intimidating in the classroom because apparently I sound really intelligent when I answer a professor's question. Sometimes people are also afraid to come running with me, especially in bad weather, though that may be more their laziness than my being intimidating. I think people, Aspies or not, are just scared of people who are better than them at stuff.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

Only in an academic setting.

I'm anything but physically intimidating.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

Pabalebo wrote:
I think people, Aspies or not, are just scared of people who are better than them at stuff.

Scared? Perhaps. I've come to discover that they're often quite resentful, as well.

~Steve Jobs