Brits: Need opinion on Summary of CV

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

Hi I am applying for a manager job at a charity and the assistant manager is also vacant (it's a new store). I have written this as a summary but don't know if it's overconfident or perhaps too forward. I'd like some advice from people in the UK about it who have experience in writing a lot of CV's - others are welcome to pitch in but I figure Brits will be more familiar with the language that people here are more accustomed to in CV's/Resumes. Ok here goes:

A people person that is both optimistic and ambitious about his community and providing help to those less fortunate or in need of care through charity. Is fully adept to the hustle and bustle of retail environments, offering 3+ years in shop floor experience and 5+ years additional skills from the office, including customer services, telesales and regional sales. Currently volunteering for ------------ in --------------- and looking to offer my help full time ideally as Manager for -------------- shop in ---------------. Should another candidate fill this position I'd look forward to working with them as an Assistant Manager.

Thoughts? Anything missing? Anything need taking out or rewording? Blanks are omitting personal information.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

I would take out the last sentence. It seems to pre expect that you will not get the job you are after, or that you would settle for second place.

Other than that it reads very well.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

Thank you dude! I admit the last sentence does sound rather defeatist. I have removed it as well as the word "ideally" to imply I would not settle for 2nd best (at least from the outlook). I have also reworded a fair chunk of it but will await further comments before sharing. :)

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Feb 2013, 4:15 am

Hi, I've had to review a few CVs in a previous role, although IT related. I'd say your summary sets the right tone, and isn't overconfident or too forward. Looks good to me. Good luck!