SOS!! ! I need help with educational options for my son

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jacked
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2013, 2:16 pm

My son, my brother, and myself all test the same with verysuper/genius PIQ levels making us very visual.
We do have many aspects of Asperger's and I have been labeled with Asperger's but we are the ones that fall between the cracks, we do not learn in school and it is an anxious environment for us.

The school here in New York refused to evaluate and help my son
They do not have a resource room, to send him to.
After spending 7 thousand on evaluations, referrals and complaints to every authority known to man.
I'm done! the district refuses to budge and does not have they ability to help him.

We instead want suggestions for the best methods for teaching a child with a 112VIQ/137PIQ he is very visual. Does not enjoy working with peers or large school environments. I can not afford the 36K per semester school we have been recommended to by his doctors.

What alternatives have worked for you???

Obviously no.1 is teach him myself/ home school but I would like as many options as possible.

Thanks
Jack

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

What's in the curriculum/teaching methods of the $36K/year school recommended by his doctors?

That's where I'd start. Find out. Then get learning about it all. Then doing - possibly via home school.

Thanks to the internet, you can learn anything - including teaching/learning methods. Then you can use them to learn anything you want to. There are countless sources of free education on the internet in many formats - even at the upper end of the University level. Really, if one didn't require the piece of paper degree for employment purposes and didn't care to have it personally, you can study anything you want to and then apply that knowledge yourself to do whatever you want to achieve in life whether it's science, engineering, art, economics, finance, marketing, history or languages etc. We live in the information age where virtually all human knowledge ever garnered is available for free on the internet, so chances are pretty good that once you find out what sets this $36K/year school apart from others that you'll be able to research and replicate the teaching/learning methods via the internet and a few books.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

Self-study worked for me. Maybe self-study for your son with help from you?

But standard educational materials are heavily verbal, not suited to visual thinkers. Maybe make your own for visual thinkers?

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything that might help your son... but I hope that school district in New York has a terrible reputation - because they've certainly earned one!

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Are there any charter schools available? Any much smaller private schools? Any homeschool associations? I homeschooled my aspie up to college, and am glad I did. Teachers would have given him hell for his bouncing around. Sitting still in church was as long as he could take until his teens. We did lots of homeschool assn classes and clubs.
I like the slew of self-education possibilities on-line, but that would still require reinforcement from you.
Lots and lots of field trips. Easy to organize for almost anywhere just by asking.
My artist son I had draw his lessons as much as possible. He learned how to write business letters by writing to Nintendo Power weekly until they published his letter and pictures. There are a number of college level coloring books for the visual learners. You can buy them at college bookstores.
Sign him up for as many science, theater, robotics, etc camps as possible. I sent my aspie to a computer programming camp to see if he could stand it for that long. For me, programming would be the job from hell, but he came back with stars in his eyes. He got his degree in computer science, then enrolled at digipen, and then became a programmer for video games based on movies. The artist son became a level artist for GuildWars.
You can hire a private tutor.
Lots of options. Go ahead and do an end run around what the school system is offering you.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

Oh, and by the way, the people who hired my aspie son never noticed he did not have a high school diploma. He had a college degree, which took him a few years longer than it should have to get because the college kept changing the requirements and would have required classes only once a year at conflicting times with other required classes. Stupidity does not exist only at the elementary level of schooling.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

Oh, Jacked, you have got to check out btbnnyr's website.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 5:54 pm

Well, for his learning style, visual-oriented instruction would obviously be a great idea.

Things like Vi Hart's math videos, for example, might go over quite well.

jacked
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2013, 7:21 am

There are no charter schools in the area, I checked

Home school would be great, I have a meeting planned with parents to discuss how to begin.
and I so far this is how I will likely proceed.

NY is the absolute worst place to attend school. The unions are untouchable nobody can get fired, so nobody works.
Publicly funded unions to protect themselves from the public?.
CT is much better, don't move here!