Angry at folk that think there hard working.

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
^^^That makes sense once you eggsplain how you think, but I don't think of things that way. I think of skills as things that I'm getting to then have them. I have the ability to learn things to get the skills, like my brain already has basic motor functions, but I need to practice them and put them together in a certain combination to do a waltz jump in figure skating.

^^^^^

This. I see people describe doing things as if they are a single thing that is easily mastered, but I often see multiple things that have to be organized and executed in the correct order, which to me appears to be multiple skills, or the same skill used many ways in a short period of time.

It's like starting at a level of "skill" that most people are not aware of because their starting point is at a different level where all of these things are already unified in some way. I totally got that analogy from anbuend, but it makes sense to me. Unless I misunderstood your post.

Anyway, it doesn't make me incapable of learning to do things, but I have to learn how to learn how to do things, which may be one thing that makes it hard to generalize skills - like learning to cook one thing doesn't mean I can apply that knowledge to cooking another thing (sometimes I can, sometimes I can't). But, I still learn to do new things.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

why is it so hard for the capable to understand the struggles of the incapable?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 12:28 am

kouzoku wrote:
I'm going to chime in here with my own situation; I don't know if it will spark some thought, but I will try:

Right now I am working as an accountant for a large company. It doesn't pay much, and I am overqualified for the job. However, after being jobless for a year, it's a job that allows me to pay my bills an own a car. I live with my father because rent is too expensive for me with all the medical problems I have.

So on to that part of the story; I have many chronic health conditions which put me through a lot of pain, fatigue, anxiety, malaise, diminished cognitive function, and I am losing my vision. I'm not going further into it because I hate talking about it and don't want anyone's pity.

ANYWAY, many people with similar challenges don't work. Most of them go on disability. They have every right to do that and I don't blame them at all. Why? Because almost every day I am in agony, wishing I didn't have to work anymore, wanting to devote more attention to my personal needs. So why don't I just quit? There are many reasons, and all of them are specific to my personality and circumstance.

I think you're making the common mistake of thinking that disability benefits are a matter of making things easier or more comfortable. The actual criterion is that you are not able to work (and even that might not be enough). If you're able to work, then you're able to work.

I have 20 years of health problems that included cognitive deterioration. My third to last job was designing a pulse transformer for medical x-ray machines. My second to last job was debugging circuit boards. My last job was in a mail room. By the end, I couldn't read or write, or remember well enough to even sort letters into mailbags. But I kept faking it, knowing I was likely making a lot of errors (same with the circuit board job, but someone caught on), because I had no diagnosis of anything and needed money to pay the doctors to keep trying to figure out the problem and fix it. After that and passing out for the second time in the parking lot (and having accumulated enough money for the right tests) I was completely trashed; beyond the point at which effort makes any difference. If you can work, then you can work.

Quote:
I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution. Some people simply are NOT able to have a "normal" 9-5 life. It's not possible for them. I wish society valued all types of people and looked at what they can do instead of what they can't. Combine that with a better work ethic, and things would be great. But maybe that's idealism.

Agree, but I think people will always create hierarchies of human value.

Quote:
I am VERY proud of what I'm doing. Not in a way that is boastful;

Quote:
I would be hurt if someone said that I shouldn't be proud of "working so hard".