Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I'll try.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

littlekitkat1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Mar 2013, 6:38 am

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I've been struggling to understand myself for quite awhile. I've been diagnosed with ADD since I was 6 years old. I've also had mild CP since birth and loads of sensory issues. (with clothing, with sights, sounds, smell and even taste) I had a series of strokes in infancy. I'm starting to think that I have more going on with me then I realized. I've always been a bit "weird" or "odd." My stepmom points out that I often act younger then my peers (I'm 29) and my friends have always been younger. (wasn't even in my first relationship until earlier this year) I struggle with working (physically and I often become overwhelmed easily with more then one task)

I become overwhelmed in social settings like birthday parties or big events. Sometimes, I get moody or someone misinterprets my tone of voice and they get upset, but I won't realize that I've hurt someone's feelings until after the fact. I'm very remorseful afterwords and struggle to try and fix it. My stepmom says I can be withdrawn, but I don't understand this, because I do try and initiate conversations. I enjoy talking to people to a point, you know?

Other times, I'm very responding to others feelings and emotions. I always want to help people (family and friends) and animals.

Most of the time, writing seems to be the only thing I'm good at and the only thing that others connect to me with. I've been told I'm an excellent writer, have always been in writing classes and stay engaged that way. I've also written for Yahoo. I'm undergoing testing for learning disabilities and other cognitive issues. I stumbled onto here after someone I care about deeply discovered he has AS I wanted to learn more about it. I realize that I share a lot of traits. (others not at all. I've never been good in math or science and I don't consider myself to be of sky high intelligence or anything like that.)

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not NT. I don't know where to go from here, or if I should bring up AS to the psychiatrist testing me. Any advice would be appreciated.

v_cast
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2013, 7:44 am

Hi and welcome to the Wrong Planet.

I think you probably do belong here, because even if you don't share all ASD traits with other people,I don't think you are supposed. That's why autistic traits are considered to be in a spectrum, I believe.

I myself share of your same issues, like feeling weird and having a hard time at birthdays and such. Even though I've been posting only a few days here,I find that reading on this forums the problems other people have, and how they deal with them, helps me know myself a little bit better, and hopefully one day I'll be able to overcome this issues. I hope that can also help you.

Verinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

Hello, welcome to WP. You sound a lot like my son, who has aspergers so i'd say you do belong here.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

Do yourself a favour and pick up and read this book: (or download it, I have seen it available on torrent sites.)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Com ... kwsec=Home

While/after reading it, you'll know whether you & your thoughts/experiences/life fit AS or not. If so, there's no denying it - it'll be clear as day. And you'll learn a lot along the way. If not, well, this would likely be your best bet at eliminating AS as a possibility, too.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

Asperger and add are comorbid (spelling?) so chances are if you have add, you at least have aspie traits as well.

littlekitkat1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

Thank you so much goldfish21. I'll be sure to pick the book up.

The doctor that I'm seeing (neuro) tested me for a wide spectrum of learning disabilities, ADD, Asperger's and overall brain damage. I found the tests challenging and frankly, mentally exhausting. I'm glad that I finally completed the testing today. I guess I'll know more about me then I ever have before soon enough. Whatever the outcome, I'm going to do my best to embrace it and no longer fight against it. I'm determined to not let it define all of me, but rather, it is a part of me.

I really appreciate all of your support here and the helpful info you've given me. It's meant a lot.