Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2007, 3:31 pm

looking at you?

BeadsInMyToes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jan 2007, 5:06 pm

I'm not sure what the '&quo' means.

Do I feel as if other people can tell by looking at me (or talking to me) that I'm different, though? Yes. I really do. I don't think that they label it Aspergers, obviously, but whatever is wrong with me, people know and treat me like they know.

They have been able to tell for as long as I can remember, ever since I was a child. I have tried to come up with different explanations. Is it my seizures? Or that I was raised so much outside of the mainstream that on some levels we just can't relate? Am I just a weirdo and I can't help it? I finally settled on all of the above.

My brothers are sort of the same way, especially one. I told him that if someone put me in normal clothes (I dress 'normal', but I just look like a dork all the time.) and taught me what to say and whatever, people would still know I'm weird. He feels the same way. I just can't pretend to be normal. I have tried so hard. I am not convincing. People just know.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:03 pm

Aspergers is neurological... so honestly I'd say likely no we more often than not don't look that different than rest of society.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:09 pm

if they catch me while im lost in thought... which is often... then yeah... but only cause i do it often

otherwise, no

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:13 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Aspergers is neurological... so honestly I'd say likely no we more often than not don't look that different than rest of society.

You're right, but wrong also. I don't LOOK like I am. At least *I* don't think so. My ears DO turn down a little(I haven't seen enough ears to determine if this is that unique), and my pupils at least APPEAR larger(mostly due to coloring of the iris), etc... Nobody has commented on any of that as looking autistic though.

They HAVE remarked about my vocabulary, intelligence, analysis, obsessive interests, etc...

BTW &quo is a cutoff HTML code for quote.

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:16 pm

Sedaka wrote:
if they catch me while im lost in thought... which is often... then yeah... but only cause i do it often

otherwise, no

If that stare, etc... really IS just autistic, then I know a couple other AS people!

Steve

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2007, 7:03 pm

BeadsInMyToes wrote:
Do I feel as if other people can tell by looking at me (or talking to me) that I'm different, though? Yes. I really do. I don't think that they label it Aspergers, obviously, but whatever is wrong with me, people know and treat me like they know.

They have been able to tell for as long as I can remember, ever since I was a child. I have tried to come up with different explanations. Is it my seizures? Or that I was raised so much outside of the mainstream that on some levels we just can't relate? Am I just a weirdo and I can't help it? I finally settled on all of the above.

My brothers are sort of the same way, especially one. I told him that if someone put me in normal clothes (I dress 'normal', but I just look like a dork all the time.) and taught me what to say and whatever, people would still know I'm weird. He feels the same way. I just can't pretend to be normal. I have tried so hard. I am not convincing. People just know.

Yup. You're not alone in that.

I've probably got dozens of 'tells' and it's one of my goals to find out every one of them and learn how to hide them at will.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 8:33 pm

Practically everyone knows upon meeting me that I look very unusual. It's not about physical attributes (although I'm sure those are there), it's about movement and posture and reaction.

LovingmyAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2007, 8:37 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

I agree. I have been told by alot of people that you cannot tell my son has AS unless you have a conversation with him....

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2007, 8:39 pm

LovingmyAspie wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

I agree. I have been told by alot of people that you cannot tell my son has AS unless you have a conversation with him....

what's it like to converse with him?

LovingmyAspie

09 Jan 2007, 8:41 pm

jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

well you have the lack of eye contact, it is also pretty much a one way conversation with him because all he really concentrates on is his subject. Also if it is about his interest at the time ex: Star Wars his conversation will go on to facts and at some point he loses you and it is like he is talking to himself.

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2007, 8:52 pm

LovingmyAspie wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

well you have the lack of eye contact, it is also pretty much a one way conversation with him because all he really concentrates on is his subject. Also if it is about his interest at the time ex: Star Wars his conversation will go on to facts and at some point he loses you and it is like he is talking to himself.

i used to be like that. though i make eye contact now ;-)

how old is he?

LovingmyAspie

09 Jan 2007, 8:58 pm

jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

how old is he?

He will be 12 on Saturday. He tries but he ends up looking at the floor and pacing back and forth while he is speaking which makes it really difficult for some to follow his conversation! lol!

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2007, 9:01 pm

LovingmyAspie wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
jonathandoors wrote:
LovingmyAspie wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:

how old is he?

He will be 12 on Saturday. He tries but he ends up looking at the floor and pacing back and forth while he is speaking which makes it really difficult for some to follow his conversation! lol!

i've outgrown it though i was sort of like that

LovingmyAspie

09 Jan 2007, 9:03 pm

I totally see him growing up a bit now. He actually talks back to me now! although I reprimand him inside I am happy because it is a "normal" teenage thing.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2007, 9:03 pm

Yes, people notice. I can fake it for about an hour or two. People used to say to me, "Where are you from?" I'm from right here, for heaven's sake. They sense something different but don't know what it is. Often enough, they're pretty sure they don't like it much.