Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SovietChess
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2007, 3:39 pm

anyone got one? do you use it in "less than honorable" ways? like playing cards and dominos and the like.. kinda how my parents realized something was up.. i ran a string of a gazillion wins playing the memory game, never lost when we played..

World Chess Champion 1960-1961

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 4:00 pm

I do not have a photographic/eidetic memory, but i think mine isn't too bad).

Anyway, what do you mean "less than honourable?" (at least you put it in quotes).
Having a good memory is just part of the game.

You may be interested in one of my heroes: Stuey Ungar.
He did have a perfect memory and put it to good use (was probably autistic).
Unfortunately he was also plagued by other demons.
If you do not know of him, then i advise a web search.

[Another piece of free advice: You must also learn how to 'throw' the odd game. ]

EDIT: In case you are too lazy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stu_Unger

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 4:06 pm

I don't have a "true" eidetic memory (very few do- mostly savants), but I have what I consider to be a photographic memory. I remember what textbooks look like years after I read them. I don't memorize all of the words, but I can find almost any sentence, just by remembering the layout of the page. Anything I read and need to remember, really. Helps a lot for test cramming. :D People keep saying that cramming doesn't work... and then they're mad when I get an "A," having only studied the night before. :wink: The difference is that I remember what I "cram" for a long, long time. I also just have a great memory for facts and dates, which I attribute to the photographic memory.
-OddDucknash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Last edited by OddDuckNash99 on 09 Jan 2007, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 4:07 pm

My memory is designed this way as well. I am, in essence, continually collecting data. Defragmentation may be in order since this can be mental chaos. I do sometimes use it for devious purposes but nothing to violate anyone. Inadverently, I memorize complex but insiginificant data. I can 'play back' certain temporal moments in my head. I am very aware of the NT trait (which they apparently do unconsciously) of assigning meaning, judgment, critique, to their sensory awareness, which, I promise, will be an obstacle for their observations and, consequently, memory recall. I have a hard time recognizing faces since I do not associate an identity with their visual data. This can be embarrassing socially.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:25 pm

I don't have a photographic memory but I do have Synaesthesia which indirectly helps
me to remember things.
As my mind's eye can 'see' numbers,days and letters in colour it gives an advantage when
remembering phone nos,dates etc. The colours never vary,e.g. 3 is always green to me
and even if I try to think of it as a different colour it always 'defaults' to green.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:49 pm

I have a photographic memory; I'm not sure what an eidetic is so I don't know if I have that as well or not. Anyways, I have a very good longterm memory that can remember many specific things that have happened in my past, plus I can memorize lots of facts and whatnot. Some people get annoyed when I say some facts (mainly NT's), but I think they're fun and, at times, amusing. I can also remember songs very well, although sometimes I can't remember the title! Another thing I have a hard time with is remembering people's names within the first few days of meeting a group of people. Yet, I can always remember their faces! It can be pretty funny.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

SovietChess
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2007, 8:55 pm

when i said "less than honorable", I have no qualms about it, but i have used it to count cards at blackjack on the cruises to nowhere back in miami, gambling ships, ive used it in bar/ parlor bets, playing dominos, gin, etc for money.. some may say its unethical, and its illegal in las vegas to count cards.. eidetic/ photographic, same thing..

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 10:03 pm

i think i have something on the lower end of photographic memory... it's definitely not perfect.

but i always memorized facts by color-coding the highlights in my textbooks... so that each page looked like a unique picture... so whenever i needed a specific fact... it was easier to bring up how that page looked like from my textbook... then i just read it off. prior to that, i had always wondered why i selectively remembered factoids from pages that had pictures in my textbooks.

but if that's even what you'd call photographic memory... it doesn't work all the time in regard to the factoid memorizing and such... i can't point blank memorize a whole page of text... but the color-coding helps me to "find the right page" and zero in on the area of the page that had the correct highlight color containing the factoid... and then the gods that be decide whether or not i pull out the right answer or not, lol... sometimes i could tell you the page number, any pics, or smudges or such on the page that has the factoid... but not the factoid itself... /shrug

i am also a visual thinker (pretty good)... so pretty much any pic for something i have in my head... i can remember emotions/physical activities/translations that i associate with those pics. it's kinda like the way when people look at my artwork and ask me about it-- i can tell you anything about it... what it means to me... what i was feeling while making it... what i had for lunch that day...the lighting... whether or not i stubbed my finger or something while making it. it just seems like a good way to attatch yourself to and remember stuff.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 10:45 pm

I don't have a photographic memory, but I do have excellent recall of everything I have studied, whether it is academic or related to my special interests. I read a great deal and remember all of the facts I have obtained from my reading.

SovietChess
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2007, 5:21 am

the weird thing is i can remember numbers positions names words etc, there are days if you stop me and ask what i had for breakfast, i will look at you with a dumbfound look on my face

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 4:25 pm

Well My parents, friends etc refer to me as either an encyclopedia or as having a sponge for a brain. Its not true Eidetic Memory but I remember more or less everything I read, hear, see, watch on tv etc. Its even gotten to the point where some of my friends have fun trying to see what they can get stuck up there lol. I spent HS sitting in the back of the room drawing in a notepad while everyone else was writing down every word the teachers said and even with all that work I still was almost always in the top 5 for each of my subjects. Which of course pissed people off.

My passions from a common spring.
(Excerpt From "Alone" By E.A. Poe)

14 Dec 2009, 4:37 pm

I am one of the few aspies who does not have this memory.

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 4:42 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

i'm sorry to hear that. but hey at least you don't have anyone trying to get rocky horror picture show stuck in your head!

My passions from a common spring.
(Excerpt From "Alone" By E.A. Poe)

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm

I do not have an eidetic/photographic memory, far from it :(

I guess I remember concepts or ideas. I can think of something, I don't see it, there is like a formless representation of it in my mind. I guess to explain it: I'm learning programming- when I get a problem I break it down into the methods I need to solve it. However I don't see the solution, I just "know" it. Of course I can't see the solution so I miss a lot of the small things :(

Hell I would love symbol - colour synaesthesia, if just to make it easier to remember words and stuff :) . Photographic memory would be a dream.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 3:10 am

I don't have proper eidetic memory, but I do tend to remember stuff in a video, with a decent amount of visual detail, bit like in The Curious Incodent of the Dog in the Night-Time. I also remember the exact words of something I've read or heard more accurately than most people.

Last edited by Asp-Z on 15 Dec 2009, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

15 Dec 2009, 3:45 am

Loli-kun wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

i'm sorry to hear that. but hey at least you don't have anyone trying to get rocky horror picture show stuck in your head!

Why the sympathy? I'm not the only aspie here who doesn't have this typical skill.