Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

What is your favorite Lovecraft movie?
This can include everything and anything from direct adaptions of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
Movies involving Lovecraft's universe but not an adaption of his fiction.
Or even movies that are not involving his Cthulhu Mythos directly, but were inspired by Lovecraft.

To go first, I'll say the movie Cthulhu. While this was not a direct adaption in itself, it was in fact inspired by Lovecraft's novella The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2013, 9:03 pm

I like John Carpenter's The Mouth of Madness. Not a Lovecraft adaptation but definitely influenced by him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:13 am

SpeakerToAnimals wrote:
I like John Carpenter's The Mouth of Madness. Not a Lovecraft adaptation but definitely influenced by him.

Most certainly it was!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:29 pm

Re-Animator, hands down, although it doesn't involve the Cthulhu Mythos. I also really like Beyond Re-Animator and Cthulhu. Everyone raves about The Call of Cthulhu, but I found it to be overrated, decent at best.

It's really the unofficial adaptations, however, the films that are not directly based on Lovecraft's writing, that best capture the essence of it. Alien, The Thing, and In the Mouth of Madness are the best of those.

By the way, I reviewed the terrific Lovecraft film book Lurker in the Lobby on Amazon. You can read that here. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the various film adaptations, both official and unofficial.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

Reanimator was great! I've tried to read the Cthulu books but they kinda went in one eye ane out the other. Never seen any films either, other than Reanimator. But I did have a kick-ass character in the RPG. :D She was a beautiful, wealthy ex-showgirl who bankrolled our group's adventures.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

Jory wrote:
Re-Animator, hands down, although it doesn't involve the Cthulhu Mythos. I also really like Beyond Re-Animator and Cthulhu. Everyone raves about The Call of Cthulhu, but I found it to be overrated, decent at best.

It's really the unofficial adaptations, however, the films that are not directly based on Lovecraft's writing, that best capture the essence of it. Alien, The Thing, and In the Mouth of Madness are the best of those.

By the way, I reviewed the terrific Lovecraft film book Lurker in the Lobby on Amazon. You can read that here. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the various film adaptations, both official and unofficial.

I actually own Lurker In The Lobby, and I agree, it is an excellent book.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 6:40 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
This can include everything and anything from direct adaptions of H.P. Lovecraft's work.
Or even movies that are not involving his Cthulhu Mythos directly, but were inspired by Lovecraft.

To go first, I'll say the movie Cthulhu. While this was not a direct adaption in itself, it was in fact inspired by Lovecraft's novella The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

I voted for C'thulu in the last election. Even though he is not a natural born citizen of the U.S.A.

I said to myself, why settle for the lesser of evils. Go First Class.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I voted for C'thulu in the last election. Even though he is not a natural born citizen of the U.S.A.

I said to myself, why settle for the lesser of evils. Go First Class.

ruveyn

Amen to that!

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

I wanted to put 'Cthulhu' as my religion in the census but they don't accept it

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

SpeakerToAnimals wrote:
I wanted to put 'Cthulhu' as my religion in the census but they don't accept it

Too bad. :(

audiobyrne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2013, 1:40 am

I really enjoyed The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu. It is a little derived in some areas, but hilarious.

Lovecraft is notoriously difficult to adapt to film. Feature length, at least. Here's a really cool short though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpBDopIMxw[/youtube]

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."

-Mahatma Gandhi

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 1:53 am

audiobyrne wrote:
I really enjoyed The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu. It is a little derived in some areas, but hilarious.

Lovecraft is notoriously difficult to adapt to film. Feature length, at least. Here's a really cool short though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpBDopIMxw[/youtube]

Is there an English version?