Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2013, 5:11 am

Is Diary keeping something others have done, did do or are still doing ?

I kept diaries for many years as a teen, then stopped so I guess it was an obsession... ?
I used some of my diaries in my diagnosis meetings to show my thinking back as a child / teen as I did not want to involve my parents or siblings and they proved invaluble.

I spent almost 4 hours last night reliving 1983 through my diary, I remember almost every day as I read the pages, a great insight for me as I have only just been diagnosed so reading back some of my feelings and situations I was dealing with was enlightening !

I think If I could go back to 1983 (the year I left school at 16) with the knowledge and skills I now have my life could have been so different... I am not bitter though, I am proud of who I am and what I have achieved.
Almost feel like starting "Stu's 1983 diary" thread and publish it :)

Stu

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2013, 6:18 am

I've found that when I try to write diaries or anything like that I just feel stumped about what to actually write. I've never really tried very much though, and I've never felt I needed one.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 7:48 am

Camo wrote:

I spent almost 4 hours last night reliving 1983 through my diary, I remember almost every day as I read the pages, a great insight for me as I have only just been diagnosed so reading back some of my feelings and situations I was dealing with was enlightening !

I've kept diary since I was in late elementary school. I recently read a few of them from when I was 11 and 12, and one part in particular struck me. I remembered the incident well but not my search for answers. I wrote down an interaction between another girl and myself, and after writing what happened, I spent pages going on about what I thought she might have felt and thought and what her expressions looked like they meant. I had forgotten how much I analysed it afterwards.
As much as I was aware when I reread it of how AS works, it was still weird to read that account blue on white how I wondered what her reaction really was. I will read through more too and see how it looks in new light.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:18 pm

I've never kept a diary.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

I have been a more or less faithful diarist for the last 14 years.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

I hav yrs and yrs of diaries. Thought about publishing them because it might be interesting from a developmental perspective. But I get really upset reading some of the stuff, so I stopped working on typing them up a while ago.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:13 pm

LizNY wrote:
I hav yrs and yrs of diaries. Thought about publishing them because it might be interesting from a developmental perspective.

Really? I'm not even remotely tempted to try that. It's way too personal! I'd never do that even under pseudonym.

Besides, I wouldn't dream of shocking the idiots... oops NTs by showing them I can write (imagine that said with a real thick tongue)
http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/produk ... Id=4770030
The above is a link to a book written by a Norwegian 16 year old with AS. I haven't read it myself, but the description reads:

Quote:
Martin got his infantile autism diagnosis at 10. Ca 4 years later he was reassessed and received the diagnosis Asperger syndrome. In this book Martin talks about a difficult period in his life. Through small stories we get an insight in his contact with school and other support services. He also describes his loneliness and his wish to make friends, and the challenges that bring. This is a rare book, as very few with Martin's diagnosis are able to communicate the situation they are in. All those who interact with people with autism diagnosis or mental illness, carers and people with similar challenges as Martin, will enjoy and benefit from reading the book.
:roll: I'm a miracle, I can thpeak.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2013, 3:26 am

I'm not sure if this counts as a 'diary' but I make notes on the computer about my feelings. It's mostly been since I started counselling so I can organise my thoughts.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

I have never kept a diary, however i have heard that it is a good thing to do, that is what the shrinks say.
Nowadays people scrapbook and make a diary of the scrapbook which consists of drawings, cut outs, pretty much art to act as words which i think is neat.

I do random art, yet i don't make scrapbook diaries although i kind of want to... i like to make art collages

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm

i've tried multiple times to keep a diary, but it never works for me. probably because not a lot of interesting things happen to me. i'm also not good at putting my feelings into words.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:00 am

WrongWay wrote:
I'm not sure if this counts as a 'diary' but I make notes on the computer about my feelings. It's mostly been since I started counselling so I can organise my thoughts.

That's the only time I bothered, too. I wrote page after page of CBT stuff last Summer. Once I didn't have a need for it anymore, I stopped.

Otherwise the next closest thing would be scrolling through my FB timeline, and while it will show some mood/thought things, it won't show what would typically be in a "diary." If I've ever documented thoughts like those, it'd be in emails to my best friends.

I guess I do write a fair bit here and there, but no, I don't keep a diary at all. My long term memory is plenty good enough not to have to.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

Once I start writing, it gets more and more detailed every day and eventually I get overwhelmed by that task and get stressed. So, I don't do that kind of thing. I do put the date and something I did (for example a haircut, opening a bag of coffee beans) because it's handy to have a record of when certain things were done.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

I've been keeping a diary since I was ten (I'm 34 now). I love going back and re-reading my old diaries and laughing at some of the crazy stuff I did when I was younger. Not to mention that it does help to connect past behaviors with my Asperger's diagnosis. That's what's really great about diaries.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:22 pm

I've always been meaning to maintain a chronicle to keep track of things that happen, so that when I later recall so some personal event, I don't have to rack my brain trying to remember the date it took place. As I get older and with my life having being so static over so many years, everything is becoming a blur.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:47 pm

My diary is my memory.

If something has been forgotten, if probably wasn't worth writing about anyway.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 9:02 pm

Camo wrote:

I kept diaries for many years as a teen, then stopped so I guess it was an obsession... ?
I used some of my diaries in my diagnosis meetings to show my thinking back as a child / teen as I did not want to involve my parents or siblings and they proved invaluble.

I think If I could go back to 1983 (the year I left school at 16) with the knowledge and skills I now have my life could have been so different... I am not bitter though, I am proud of who I am and what I have achieved.
Almost feel like starting "Stu's 1983 diary" thread and publish it :)

Stu

I used to keep diaries. I realised it was one of the stupidest things I'd ever done, when I found that someone had rummaged in my things and read it and went round telling people things. I never kept a diary since.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum