Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm

Try to develop the skill of talking to people gradually. Your expectations don't have to be very high the first few times, but it'll naturally get better with practice. See if there are people you're more comfortable talking to first to practice with. Don't worry too much if people might think you're a bit 'off', view every conversation as a experience and a step towards progress.

Meridian191
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2013, 10:00 am

qawer wrote:
"Put on" an NT mask is the only thing that really works, in my experience.

This means thinking more like "The world is here to serve me" instead of "I'm here to serve the world"....

Also, being able to be more irritated (but happy) instead of always "too happy".

Bingo. Part of my NT mask, or social hat, is allowing myself to become irritated at certain things in a non-violent, almost playful fashion. In fact, the days when I'm at my most social, I also tend to be at my most irritable. I also agree that part of being assertive is resisting the temptation to 'serve the world' by being the nicest.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

I think CBT might be an option; I had some form of that for a few sessions in the form of social skills training...It might be able to help you with coping with the stress of the situation, and give you tips on how to keep conversations going etc. Breathing techniques can also help to relax you in a social situation.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg