Feeling okay with not conforming to gender stereotypes?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 4:26 am

I'm not too girly, and a lot of music I like would be considered for men, but I don't girl's clothes (Even if they are not girly coloured). I guess sometimes I'm like a girl, sometimes I'm like a boy. I don't mind.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm

Had to share this pic! Me and my best friend, Chrissy :D
[img][800:816]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/jetbuilder/527641_4736499256834_33681896_n_zps0d01094f.jpg[/img]

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Paleonerd21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2023, 9:51 pm

I’m okay with not conforming to gender stereotypes. They are just stereotypes after all. I will continue being a brony despite any possible ridicule I might receive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 11:34 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else is open to the people they know about liking things that are generally associated with the opposite gender.

I really like the My Little Pony FiM TV series, and several anime series that could be called "girly", and with the exception of a few people I don't really feel comfortable telling people about the types of shows I like to watch. At the same time, I'm trying to be more open with the people I know.

The thing that made me think about this was a shirt my best friend is getting for me that has Fluttershy (from MLP) on the front and "yay" right below it (from one of my favorite Fluttershy moments). I really like the shirt, but I think I'd feel weird wearing it around other people who know me.

I wish I could just convince myself and say "F*** it. I don't care what anyone thinks"
This is one of my biggest problems though..... I'm pretty sensitive to how people perceive me.

I get that, but at the same time I feel like if you want to rock a MLP t-shirt there is nothing wrong with that at all, like not the same thing but if I found a good oldschool ninja turtles shirt, I would probably wear that, so I don't see what the difference is if you wanted to rock a MLP hoodie or shirt.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else is open to the people they know about liking things that are generally associated with the opposite gender.

I really like the My Little Pony FiM TV series, and several anime series that could be called "girly", and with the exception of a few people I don't really feel comfortable telling people about the types of shows I like to watch. At the same time, I'm trying to be more open with the people I know.

The thing that made me think about this was a shirt my best friend is getting for me that has Fluttershy (from MLP) on the front and "yay" right below it (from one of my favorite Fluttershy moments). I really like the shirt, but I think I'd feel weird wearing it around other people who know me.

I wish I could just convince myself and say "F*** it. I don't care what anyone thinks"
This is one of my biggest problems though..... I'm pretty sensitive to how people perceive me.

I get that, but at the same time I feel like if you want to rock a MLP t-shirt there is nothing wrong with that at all, like not the same thing but if I found a good oldschool ninja turtles shirt, I would probably wear that, so I don't see what the difference is if you wanted to rock a MLP hoodie or shirt.

I hope that you're aware that the post that you are responding to was made ten years ago...by someone who probably isnt even on the site on anymore.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 8:24 am

Wow. This is a blast from the past!

Funny story: over the past 5 or so years, I’ve finally admitted to myself that I’m trans. I came out publicly and started my transition in 2021.

I’ve never been happier! I’m so much happier now that I’m not pretending to be a guy. I’m much more myself as a girl :)

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 8:39 am

A lot has happened since I was here regularly. I’ve been in therapy for the past couple months and I’ve realized a lot about myself.

The big one is that, now, I’m not so sure I’m on the spectrum. I’m pretty sure my dad is. When I was younger, I tried hard to hide my feminine side and put on a masculine mask. So, I looked to my dad to see how to act.

I was putting on a cis mask, and the person I looked to while I was forming that mask was likely autistic. On top of that, just pretending to be cis caused a lot of depression and social anxiety.

The older I got, I kinda forgot that it was an act. That led me to think I was autistic too.

My time here did help a lot! But now, I’m not sure if I ever was on the spectrum.

When I transitioned, most of my social issues I attributed to being autistic went away.

So, yeah. Turns out I was a trans girl in denial and not autistic…