Should we concentrate ourselves in particular locations?

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should we concentrate ourselves in particular locations?
Yes. 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Yes, let's start picking some metros and cities. 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
No. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
No, bad idea. 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 36

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

Many demographic groups have selected, either purposefully or by natural social forces, areas to congregate. In those areas, they find others of their group for company and interpersonal networking and they use the clout of a large population to promote awareness and acceptance. In my travels, I've found some locations are much more hospitable to me as an autistic, as opposed to others that are harsh and forbidding. Yes, we would hope the world would progress to the point that all places were equal. However, as a very practical matter, that is a stretch goal. So, what about picking a few metro areas per region where we can concentrate ourselves, socialize, form local interpersonal networks, advocate awareness and acceptance, and thrive?

In the western United States, I would start that list with the Seattle, Oregon and Phoenix, Arizona metro areas.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 3:49 pm

I'm in the UK. I don't know which spots to pick, I just know it would be nice to live in a world that didn't seem so alien and wrong.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

aspguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Yeah, where are the best places to live for Aspie's combined in both acceptance, resources, and social groups? Then I will move there. lol.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

We'll have to develop the locations. That said, I think it can be done. I think we should consider areas that are centers for creative design work and innovation. And, avoid areas that have cultures that are more pecking-order oriented nor where there is a very active and contentious demographic card game. Detroit, Michigan and San Francisco, California would not be on my list.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

During World War II, the Nazis thought it was a good idea to keep different kinds of people in their "own spaces." The Jews had their own sections as well as the Polish. These were known as ghettoes. The separation didn't work and, in some cases, uprisings occurred. When people are roped off, so to speak, they're more easily controlled and vilified. When the gays built their own communities (Castro, Stonewall) they became easy targets of oppression and they, too, had uprisings. In theory, it sounds like Xanadu, but in reality it doesn't work out as planned.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
During World War II, the Nazis thought it was a good idea to keep different kinds of people in their "own spaces." The Jews had their own sections as well as the Polish. These were known as ghettoes. The separation didn't work and, in some cases, uprisings occurred. When people are roped off, so to speak, they're more easily controlled and vilified. When the gays built their own communities (Castro, Stonewall) they became easy targets of oppression and they, too, had uprisings. In theory, it sounds like Xanadu, but in reality it doesn't work out as planned.

I understand your point and I agree that we should not segregate ourselves. My concept is to assist entire metro areas to understand and accept us as a part of the general community. So, rather than being a drop of oil in a glass of water, we would be like a pinch of sugar. That is, we would be dispersed among the general population. However, we would extend that with activities and places. Imagine a coffee shop with a reading room that has open areas, plus nooks for those people who need more visual privacy.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:34 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

When I saw the title to this thread, I had this impression as well.. I think the heart of the problem with any social categories is they are not actually real in the absolute sense, but many people believe them to be real, and thus act out that "fake reality", in real ways ranging from mild discrimination, to major killings.. Race, sexuality, gender, etc.. Easy to talk about; hard problems to "solve", if ever..

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

When I saw the title to this thread, I had this impression as well.. I think the heart of the problem with any social categories is they are not actually real in the absolute sense, but many people believe them to be real, and thus act out that "fake reality", in real ways ranging from mild discrimination, to major killings.. Race, sexuality, gender, etc.. Easy to talk about; hard problems to "solve", if ever..

Would you consider this strategy a valid approach to a broader solution? That is, pick some win-able battles toward winning the war.

Last edited by ShelbyGt500 on 26 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

There is plenty of research that suggests that persons of the same personality traits tend to live near each other. I posted on another thread a map that charted concentrations of five factor personality traits in North America (neurotic people in the Northeast and Midwest, agreeable people in the South and Midwest, etc).

As for persons with AS, I don't know how wise it is to self segregate on the basis of AS. AS is not a personality trait as much as governing modes of expression. That said, I hear time and again how the Bay Area has a very high proportion of those with AS.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:44 pm

These places already exist, IMO.

As has been discussed in other threads, tech centres like Silicon Valley have attracted a lot of people like us. I think Seattle would be quite similar.

I know that where I live, a few hours North in the suburbs of Vancouver, it's quite a diverse and Aspie friendly place. There are a lot of us here. There are also a lot of immigrants from many different countries, so fitting in is easier and easier amongst the various foreign cultures we can insert ourselves into. It's also a great environment for us, IMO, with the ocean, forests, mountains, city, country & everything imaginable in between - plenty of beautiful natural features to escape to and enjoy. High tech, low tech, hippies, scientists, engineers, labourors, service industry - whatever - it's an anything goes kind of city with a lot of universal acceptance to others' differences thanks to a full 1/3rd of residents having been born outside the country. We don't need to announce our presence or educate others on being tolerant to our quirks, as this place has naturally evolved to be absolutely ideal for us to get along in & thrive. No, my life isn't perfect and I wouldn't consider myself as thriving at the moment, but I do feel that the opportunities for me to do so are so much greater here than in a homogeneous city filled with NT's from a single racial, religious, cultural, and language background.

"Imagine a coffee shop with a reading room that has open areas, plus nooks for those people who need more visual privacy."

We have those, too. There are some with more private areas where people can sit with their laptop and read/type w/o others being able to glance over at them or their screen, you just have to find a shop that has a layout like that with an open seat in one of the few more solo corners of the cafe. They might not be aaaas isolated as you'd like, but I'm sure there are many that would suit you just fine.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
There is plenty of research that suggests that persons of the same personality traits tend to live near each other. I posted on another thread a map that charted concentrations of five factor personality traits in North America (neurotic people in the Northeast and Midwest, agreeable people in the South and Midwest, etc).

As for persons with AS, I don't know how wise it is to self segregate on the basis of AS. AS is not a personality trait as much as governing modes of expression. That said, I hear time and again how the Bay Area has a very high proportion of those with AS.

In some ways, what I'm suggesting is a metaphor of an urban area that has ramps for people in wheelchairs. However, rather than physical devices I'm talking about accommodating attitudes. I fully agree that autism should not be cast as a character or personality trait, although I do think it has some effects. I really don't think of it is self segregating. Again, I like to think of it as becoming part of a metro area where we actively cultivate a positive attitude of acceptance toward ourselves.

Regarding the Bay Area, San Francisco itself is excepting of some groups and very intolerant of others. However, the areas just east of San Francisco are very interesting. I'd call that area a prospect.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
These places already exist, IMO.

As has been discussed in other threads, tech centres like Silicon Valley have attracted a lot of people like us. I think Seattle would be quite similar.

I know that where I live, a few hours North in the suburbs of Vancouver, it's quite a diverse and Aspie friendly place. There are a lot of us here. There are also a lot of immigrants from many different countries, so fitting in is easier and easier amongst the various foreign cultures we can insert ourselves into. It's also a great environment for us, IMO, with the ocean, forests, mountains, city, country & everything imaginable in between - plenty of beautiful natural features to escape to and enjoy. High tech, low tech, hippies, scientists, engineers, labourors, service industry - whatever - it's an anything goes kind of city with a lot of universal acceptance to others' differences thanks to a full 1/3rd of residents having been born outside the country. We don't need to announce our presence or educate others on being tolerant to our quirks, as this place has naturally evolved to be absolutely ideal for us to get along in & thrive. No, my life isn't perfect and I wouldn't consider myself as thriving at the moment, but I do feel that the opportunities for me to do so are so much greater here than in a homogeneous city filled with NT's from a single racial, religious, cultural, and language background.

"Imagine a coffee shop with a reading room that has open areas, plus nooks for those people who need more visual privacy."

We have those, too. There are some with more private areas where people can sit with their laptop and read/type w/o others being able to glance over at them or their screen, you just have to find a shop that has a layout like that with an open seat in one of the few more solo corners of the cafe. They might not be aaaas isolated as you'd like, but I'm sure there are many that would suit you just fine.

Am I correct that Canadians generally consider Vancouver to be an "international city"?

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
lotuspuppy wrote:

In some ways, what I'm suggesting is a metaphor of an urban area that has ramps for people in wheelchairs. However, rather than physical devices I'm talking about accommodating attitudes. I fully agree that autism should not be cast as a character or personality trait, although I do think it has some effects. I really don't think of it is self segregating. Again, I like to think of it as becoming part of a metro area where we actively cultivate a positive attitude of acceptance toward ourselves.

Regarding the Bay Area, San Francisco itself is excepting of some groups and very intolerant of others. However, the areas just east of San Francisco are very interesting. I'd call that area a prospect.

My only major experience was with Silicon Valley. They have a ton of Aspie engineers and programmers. I know Silicon Valley has a lot of corporate intrigue there, but my sense from my visits is that it does not spill into everyday life.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 5:01 pm

ShelbyGt500 wrote:
Am I correct that Canadians generally consider Vancouver to be an "international city"?

AFAIK, yes, but it's not as if I've surveyed the country to find out what they think of Vancouver in other Provinces or major cities. I think the whole world pretty well recognizes Vancouver as an "international city," because while Vancouver isn't thaaaat big, and has a population of only 2.1 Million or so including the suburbs, it IS a very international city & for many reasons has attracted people from all over the globe.

Toronto (I've never been) is probably Canada's next best "international city," as they also have a lot of immigrants from around the world, it's a larger city, there are more people, a lot more $$ & business dollars etc. But from everything I've heard about Toronto it would be an ok place to visit, but I'd rather live here. No other city on the planet has what Vancouver has (especially in terms of natural environmental features & surroundings), and that's why while there are many places I've visited or would like to visit, there's no place like home.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

I'm not sure about other cities, but Seattle is a pretty good place for spectrumites. To wit:
1. The Academy for Precision Learning is a K-9 school dedicated to the success of all students – including typically developing and those across the autism spectrum – learning within an academically challenging and socially vibrant environment. Also, APL is Opening a High School! Starting with grades 9 and 10 in 2013-2014.
2. Seattle Children's Autism Center provides assessment, diagnosis, treatment and support for autism spectrum disorders. We offer a range of medical and mental health services for babies, children and young adults.
3. The Adult Autism Clinic is located on the 3rd floor of the UW Medical Center - Roosevelt Building at 4225 Roosevelt Way, Suite 306, in the Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic.
4. The Square Peg Social Club Adult Aspergers and Other Misfits The Square Pegs Social Club is a place for those of us who don't conform to get to know one another and make new friends without having to explain our eccentricities.
5. Autism therapists in Seattle. Link
6. Seattle Asperger's Support provides social thinking groups for children in 1st through 5th grade with Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS, High Functioning Autism,ADHD and neurotypical children who need social skills. [email protected] or 206-227-6294 for more information.
7. The UW Autism Center is a nonprofit organization devoted to supporting families affected by autism spectrum disorders through exceptional clinical services, innovative scientific research and high-quality training.
8. Redmond-Eastside Asperger's. This group is for Adults that have Asperger's in Redmond or The Eastside.
9. ASAN Seattle. The Autistic Self Advocacy Network seeks to advance the principles of the disability rights movement with regard to autism.
10. TACA - Talk About Curing Autism. Coffee Talk – Seattle. About: TACA Coffee Talk – it’s all about help and hope. So if you love someone with autism, please join us at Mosaic Coffee House. There are so many ways to help our kids with autism feel and function better, no matter how old (or young) they are! www.mosaiccoffeehouse.org/
Date: TBA
Time: 7:00 PM
4401 2nd Ave. NE
Seattle, WA 98105
11. The Arc of King County - For people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Link
12. Fircrest (Shoreline) is a residential facility for individuals with developmental disabilities. The Adult Training Program at Fircrest offers our residents vocational training and supported employment opportunities.

ShelbyGt500
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

Cool! Let's call Vancouver and Seattle candidates.

Last edited by ShelbyGt500 on 26 Mar 2013, 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.