Aspergers and Psychopathy: There is a Great Big Difference

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

Some say Bin Laden and Hitler had Aspergers, but do you know what those who say that get confused with ASD and Psychopathy. There is a massive difference and those who do say it are just ignorant which really annoys me.

I got so angry when I heard the news saying about Adam Lanza having Aspergers, I'm like that's not relevant to the Sandy Hook Shooting so why say it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:44 pm

cowscows wrote:
Some say Bin Laden and Hitler had Aspergers, but do you know what those who say that get confused with ASD and Psychopathy. There is a massive difference and those who do say it are just ignorant which really annoys me.

I got so angry when I heard the news saying about Adam Lanza having Aspergers, I'm like that's not relevant to the Sandy Hook Shooting so why say it.

Osama bin Laden was not crazy. He was an overenthusiastic Muslim.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

cowscows wrote:

And Hitler almost certainly had Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Neither he nor Bin Laden would have been able to have been likely to capture the hearts and souls of followers by the mere strength of personality, and a uniquely diabolical insight into the human soul. Sorry, but being able to look into the hearts, minds, and souls of our fellow man is beyond most of us Aspies.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

cowscows wrote:

They keep bringing it up every single damn time and I have to agree, it's getting pretty annoying. I am not comforted by the "no link between Asperger's and violence" disclaimer sentence they have to keep posting in every article where Lanza's AS is mentioned. If there is no link to what he did, then STOP MENTIONING HIS ASPERGER'S!! !

CNN has lost alot of respect from me as a credible news source the way they have been handling this.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

Do you guys really expect the stupid general public to listen??

If you want their attention, you need big-eyed kittens, adorable children with sad faces, weeping women, and sensational sweeping judgments that allow the masses to feel as if they themselves, fortunate they, are certainly above such sordid things.

Don't bother with logic and reason. Pander to the emotions; swallow your self-respect and swing a low blow. Trot out the images of adorable autistic kids with the subtext, "I don't want to be a psychopath. Please don't tell me I have to be."

cowscows
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2013, 5:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cowscows wrote:

And Hitler almost certainly had Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Neither he nor Bin Laden would have been able to have been likely to capture the hearts and souls of followers by the mere strength of personality, and a uniquely diabolical insight into the human soul. Sorry, but being able to look into the hearts, minds, and souls of our fellow man is beyond most of us Aspies.

Hitler didn't have Aspergers, end of story. I read he might of suffered from OCD, but that might not be true either.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 8:01 am

^ I have to agree that in no way could Hitler be autistic. The closest association he could have his autism was his artistic talent (views vary on whether or not his art was any good). But the big thing that sets Hitler apart from having autism was that he was an excellent and very convincing public speaker who was able to get an entire nation under his thumb. That's something that you'll rarely be able to see an autistic person do via speech anyway.

BuyerBeware wrote:
Do you guys really expect the stupid general public to listen??

If you want their attention, you need big-eyed kittens, adorable children with sad faces, weeping women, and sensational sweeping judgments that allow the masses to feel as if they themselves, fortunate they, are certainly above such sordid things.

Don't bother with logic and reason. Pander to the emotions; swallow your self-respect and swing a low blow. Trot out the images of adorable autistic kids with the subtext, "I don't want to be a psychopath. Please don't tell me I have to be."

Considering how many parents often dream of killing their autistic children anyway, I think this concept, though efficient, might be a hard sell.

Lemert
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
cowscows wrote:

CNN has lost alot of respect from me as a credible news source the way they have been handling this.

CNN never had my respect, but NPR certainly did... until now. I am so disgusted. Anyone with me on starting a boycott of the NPR Pledge Drive and publicizing it heavily?

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

Adorable autistic children and pretty autistic women weeping over being bullied and called psychopaths while hugging kittens. Sounds legit.

Then something about how people who bully autistics are clearly sick in the head and bad for society. And maybe mention Hitler killing autistic people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

Nonperson wrote:
Adorable autistic children and pretty autistic women weeping over being bullied and called psychopaths while hugging kittens. Sounds legit.

Then something about how people who bully autistics are clearly sick in the head and bad for society. And maybe mention Hitler killing autistic people.

That last is a very excellent point.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm

cowscows wrote:

One does not have to be a psychopath to carry out a mass shooting. Just because violence like that seems too horrible to accept in our nice privileged comfortable existence doesn't mean it can't happen. Remember that soldier that killed 15 Afghan civilians. He was not a monster before he carried that out. I doubt Adam Lanza was a monster either, until he snapped.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 8:47 am

I never understood why so many people waste their energy hating random people they don't even know. Even if I knew someone was a sociopath, I'd need to have a specific reason based on their conduct in order to hate them. Chances are that they would be a pretty disdainful person, but I wouldn't know anything specific about them. I would still be cautious of them, but I wouldn't have any particular reason to hate them. Regardless of disorder, disability, gender, ethnicity, nationality, religion etc. everyone should be judged based upon their character, which can hopefully be correctly determined through their conduct. Certain statuses come with expectations, but expectations aren't equal to assumptions. Even if a group of people was 99% bad, I still believe that everyone in that group should be given the choice to be part of the 1% who wouldn't be. Character isn't purely shaped by individual choice, but it isn't purely shaped by status either. It's most likely a combination of the two that shapes a person's character.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:59 pm

cowscows wrote:

First of all there is no evidence that either of them have psychopathy. In fact there is evidence that Hitler has Bipolar disorder. There, is no evidence to the contrary.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:40 pm

Lanza's Aspergers were part of it. Lanza compiled an a detailed exhaustive list of mass murders.
Morbid find suggests murder-obsessed gunman Adam Lanza plotted Newtown, Conn.'s Sandy Hook massacre for years

Quote:
The New York Daily News reports investigators discovered, “a chilling spreadsheet 7 feet long and 4 feet wide that required a special printer, a document that contained Lanza’s obsessive, extensive research — in nine-point font — about mass murders of the past, and even attempted murders.”

“We were told (Lanza) had around 500 people on this sheet,” a law enforcement veteran told me Saturday night. “Names and the number of people killed and the weapons that were used, even the precise make and model of the weapons. It had to have taken years. It sounded like a doctoral thesis, that was the quality of the research.”

Autism by itself does not one a mass murderer, there has to be a lot else going on.

With historical figures at most you could know is that they they had Autistic traits. Autism is a developmental condition so you got to know what they were like as little kids. Descriptions that seem point to Autism are suspect because there was little or no knowledge of autism then and back then often words had different connotations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:30 pm

Pieplup wrote:
cowscows wrote:

First of all there is no evidence that either of them have psychopathy. In fact there is evidence that Hitler has Bipolar disorder. There, is no evidence to the contrary.

As far as I'm concerned:

Hitler - Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Osama Bin Laden - Religious fanatic and probably Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Adam Lanza - Possible Autism, and Antisocial Personality Disorder.

I don't claim to be a psychologist by any stretch, so this is just my personal opinion from what I know of those disorders.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:55 pm

Lanza was diagnosed with Aspergers at Age 13
Don't Blame Adam Lanza's Violence on Asperger's

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman