What is your preferred way of installing Debian?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

What is your preferred way of installing Debian?
CD/DVD/USB media 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
debootstrap FTW! 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
win32-loader 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 8:13 am

What is your preferred way of installing Debian? And which branch (stable, testing, unstable) do you use?

I typically use debootstrap from another distribution, but I've also found the win32-loader to be quite handy with installing Debian.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

Currently using SolusOS, which is Debian Stable with the 3.3.6 kernel, Gnome 2.30 DE, and more up to date software. I have tweaked this further by getting rid of Plymouth, and swapped GDM3 for Slim, as well as ditching anything to do with compositing,

I also use Crunchbang Waldorf, which is essentially Debian Wheezy. I also played around with the LXDE version of Debian Wheezy. --I actually like Crunchbang better.

All distros though are downloaded as either CD or DVD .iso files and transferred ro USB thumbdrive with unetbootin.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 11:54 am

Did you not read my first post?

Have you even heard of the win32-loader? Or the debootstrap package in the repos of most distros? win32-loader and debootstrap are alternative ways of installing Debian on a hard drive partition; they don't require CD/DVD/USB. You can use debootstrap from within another distro or from a live cd and install debian by entering a chroot environment.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

Actually I did. Win32 loader is somewhat difficult to utilise, (and not to mention redundant) when you're already running a Linux System. AFAIK, debbootstrap is what you want to use when installing on an unused partition on an already extant system. This is made redundant by the fact that I have no unused partitions on any of my drives. Still, if it works for you great, but I have no reason to use it.