The society is what makes our lives difficult

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2013, 7:28 pm

I feel that most of the difficulties we, people with ASDs and other disorders, have, are caused by this society, not by the handicap itself. Maybe if the society was different, more tolerant and uderstanding, we would have less problems with our disorders, maybe even no problems at all.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

Correct. In many cases, the widespread intolerance of our differences causes far more problems for us than our Autism.

onechordbassist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2013, 8:00 pm

But... erm... is this actually something new?

dajand8
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

I agree... I see there is a MUCH greater emphasis in schools on group work and socializing/socialization. This puts those on the spectrum at a distinct disadvantage. The isolated, introverted types are recognized as troubled/damaged/disordered, etc. Now, in my school district, there is no classically speaking "gifted" program. The only program is for advanced academics, and they are redefining the word "gifted" basic on academics rather than intelligence. Academic success now largely depends upon social behavior.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2013, 11:03 pm

Yeah, I see ASD as more of a difference than a disability. As a society we should learn to appreciate diversity between different people more.

Draka
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2013, 11:08 pm

This makes sense to me. Society seems to have more of a problem with me than I do with me or it. But the idea applies to many other groups of people as well.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:23 am

When diagnosed I was told this by the pediatrician:

"The problem is not you, just how people react to you".

bl44d3lf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2013, 11:08 am

WRONG. ASPERGER IS A BRAIN PARALYSIS.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:26 pm

bl44d3lf wrote:

Not sure I would describe it that way....to me it seems like my brain is always going 100 miles an hour with thoughts, over analyzations of things, stress and just everything all at once. On the outside all this makes me appear slower since I have to cut through layers of everything going on in my head to interact with people/surroundings.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 3:12 pm

Having a response for other people when they want it is really difficult. I think its an exercise in futility to try to impress people in the short term. I've heard the saying that the first few moments are the ones where you make a lasting impression, whoever set that standard had no patience for other people.

I think its a mistake on our part to expect results with other people too, I mean if I'm hoping to make a long-term impression, I can't expect quick results.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 6:45 pm

That is certainly a major factor, but to be fair the autism itself does seem to create some difficulties in itself, they probably would not be as disabling if it wasn't for this society however.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2013, 9:20 pm

dajand8 wrote:
I agree... I see there is a MUCH greater emphasis in schools on group work and socializing/socialization. This puts those on the spectrum at a distinct disadvantage. The isolated, introverted types are recognized as troubled/damaged/disordered, etc. Now, in my school district, there is no classically speaking "gifted" program. The only program is for advanced academics, and they are redefining the word "gifted" basic on academics rather than intelligence. Academic success now largely depends upon social behavior.

Definitely, i recently read a small book called: Autism a Short Introduction. The author made the same analysis: in a increasingly busy and globalized world it seems sociability is more valued and useful than intelligence." May god,(if there is one) have mercy on their souls. I am really getting tired of believing in doing the right thing and getting stuff done, as opposed to being just a agreeable with everything.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

I´d say bullying and missuderstanding for having ASD (or being "different" in any other way) is a secondary victimization. And secondary victimization is often worse than the primary one.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 1:41 am

Hopetobe wrote:
I feel that most of the difficulties we, people with ASDs and other disorders, have, are caused by this society, not by the handicap itself. Maybe if the society was different, more tolerant and uderstanding, we would have less problems with our disorders, maybe even no problems at all.

In other words, if people understood people, they wouldn't fight.

Erwin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 1:43 am

bl44d3lf wrote:

Humans don't know enough about brain to say that. They can only deduce what happens in the brain and how that affects them. It's a failure.