Rant Alert: Find something that makes me happy...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2013, 10:19 pm

I was recently hired at this toy store, but I felt like it was just so lame that it was a joke. I have 5 years of retail experience working at 40 hours a week on average so I want a job that at least gives me 30 hrs. It was alright that I was being hired at minimum wage, but they only put me at 10 hours a weeks for the past 2 weeks (2 shifts... so I ruin my whole day). I might as well do blood plasma for that kind of money lol. The store director then ask me a somewhat ignorant question in my opinion, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"..... I know where he is coming from, but that's not a question you ask a 20-something year old who has been on her for a while (owns a house, and is responsible of a puppy now). I think he thought I was 17 or something (he didn't hire me another manager did). I am in college, so it still kind of applies, but I didn't like how he assume that I was probably some punk...... he's not the only one, but I hate being treated like that just because I actually look like I am 17. I know I am being a little oversensitive.

I decided to end my shift early since I realize this was a dead-end job with no room for advancement, and I need to look for something that is going to pay me for what I am worth. Life is short, and I need a get a job that will open doors for me. I have savings, and I am in no need of money to be honest.

I am hoping that this franchise restaurant hires me as a waitress to be honest, since I just went to the interview yesterday, and they said they'll do call backs on Friday. At least if I become a waitress, once a waitress always a waitress.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm

Sorry... but the first thing that popped into my head was...

"I don't wanna grow up.. I'm a toys R us kid..."

Possibly the manager was joking because of the store name?..... I am assuming here that is the toy store.. but just a guess.

Also - ten hours is better than no hours and the only way is up?... Unless you quite or get fired that is....

Bummer it didn't work out for you.

**Edit - I somehow missed your last bit about the waitressing... You are in college no? I would sure hope you would not aim to always be a waitress then. Also if you are not in the need of money.. why stress yourself out by working? Having money and not having to work would be my dream :)

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

He wasn't joking, but I think he meant no harm. Actually depends, none of my minimum wage jobs ever move me up so far, and I am realizing that where you work at has a big role in it. I ask one of the guys at the toy store if people move up, and he hasn't seen it so far, and he worked there for 2 years. And he only gets 20 hrs a week, with short shifts.

10 hrs = 65 dollars roughly after taxes. That's nickles and dimes, and I'm just going to look for a better job until I find one. I want a job so I can build up more emergency funds, and have more streams of revenue (I have 3-4 streams of income coming in). And most importantly learn more skills, especially waitressing at a nice restaurant.

Nowadays, only college and/or who you know will get you a decent job (I doubt college... to be honest). Looks, personality, and social skills are important too. I put so much stock into my appearance that it's crazy. And lying on your applications sometimes gets you the job, which I did heavily on my waitress application because I want that job more than anyone else (I have no waitress experience, but that's where youtube comes in). I spent an hour on the bus to get to it, then walk 5 miles in the wind, and I walk in there with all the confidence in the world. I was like in that interview thinking to myself, "I was born for this job". I think I nailed it. I just have to wait and see.

It was open interviews too, and I overheard the guy offering some guy a dishwashing job.... That's the best restaurant in the city, it's pack, and you could easily make 30-40k there as a server. You might as well work at McDonald as a dishwasher.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2013, 11:46 pm

Hope you get the job. But I don't think that you should have to lie to get the job. Honesty is the best policy. If you are confident and assertive with good references I am sure they could have given you a chance. This way - you never know. I would be a nervous wreck if I lied to get a job.

If you put so much stock in your looks.. what happens when you age? It is a losing battle.. time marches on regardless of any procedure or surgeries can give you. Looks are not everything... your skills and talents are much more powerful you know - and they never fade but grow with time and knowledge. I know my saying this will probably not matter much... but maybe plant a seed?

Either way - hope it works out for you. Sounds like a great (but stressful) place to work.

Alizee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Apr 2013, 12:25 am

Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't recommend lying, either, and I would never done it a few years ago because I would had been a nervous wreck... but really no one hires people as servers without experience. I applied at hundreds of places in the past year. I gave up hope. There's that phrase, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I lied on a resume to one job with a fake name, obviously couldn't go to it, but they call me... and I was like... "I should had lied on my original application!!"

Autism is such a wrecking ball in my goals, but I am treating life like a video game. The worse they can say to me is "no", and rejection isn't so hard anymore. Lately, I been able to answer phone calls, and call people like it's no big deal. The more I do it, the more "experience" I become, it's still hard though.