Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 3:40 am

I'm really not a big consumer of alcohol. I drink a few times a year. Yesterday night was the first time I drank since last October and I did it to "escape" my life for a while. Normally I'm a very introverted person. I'm a thinker, obsessive, withdrawn, quiet, anxious, depressed, socially awkward (and socially anxious), analytical, very rigid, sensitive, smart, logical, "down-to-earth" etc. I keep to myself most of the time and I try to not bother anyone. When drinking alcohol I typically react in one of two ways:

1. I get hyperactive, quite loud, more confident, more social, talkative, less anxious, less depressed etc.
2. I become very laid-back, less anxious, less depressed, philosophical, talkative, tired, slow (as in slow movements) etc.

Yesterday I reacted in the first way. I never really lose control though and I'm always aware of what I'm doing. It's not like you can get me to do anything when I'm drunk. I still have a lot of social issues when drinking only I don't really care about them when drunk. Some social issues go away for a while (like I said, I get more talkative, loud and confident etc) but others stay (I for example still have a very hard time meeting new people and there's no way you can get me to dance and things like that).

I know how to sober up before going to bed (I always manage to eat something, drink loads of water and things like that) so I don't get particularly hungover. Today, for example, I just feel tired but I've got no headache or nausea etc. I often, however, get very depressed when sobering up because then I can feel all the anxiety and all my problems return. I also get depressed and anxious the day after (that's how I always feel + I get extra depressed and anxious about how I behaved the night before).

So today, the day after, I feel low again. I also feel ashamed and disappointed with myself for drinking because I really don't like "becoming another person" when consuming alcohol. I knew it would happen but I felt like I just had to "get out of my head" for a while.

Anyway, do you ever drink? What's it like when you're drinking? How does the alcohol affect you and the way you behave around people? How does alcohol affect your social issues? Do you get angry with yourself/anxious/depressed the day after?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 4:27 am

I drink almost every day. Only a small glass of wine a day and only by myself.

Alcohol doesn't affect the way I feel or behave mostly because I drink only a small amount at a time, but it, even a glass of wine, affects my physical condition. My face, eyes and body turn red. I can feel blood rushing in my body and can even feel/hear my pulse. I feel tired. I feel sleepy. I only drink alcohol for taste not for its physical or mental effect. I don't drink socially.

If I drink more than my usual amount, then I will still be very conscious of everything around me and of my own behavior. However, I will feel sick and have to go to bed.

I'd say I'm a very well-controlled drinker, though I don't really have to try to control. I just drink alcohol while it tastes good. Usually if I try a second glass, which seldom happens, it tastes far worse than the first.