Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 8:17 am

I am an adult on this site. This post is for my niece who is 14 years old. She has an almost two year long crush on another student at her school who is obviously on the spectrum according to her description of his behavior. He is mostly non-verbal and seems to be quite interested in her too. My suggestion was to be just a good friend and social companion. She wants to date him. She's not interested in the "just be a friend" suggestion. I'm asking you guys about this situation because I have a hard time relating to her feelings for this young man because I'm 51 years old and was raised in a totally different perspective. He calls her on the phone, chuckles, then hangs up. She said he shows his feeling for her like a Pantomime. He speaks only about 5 or 6 words at a time or none at all. The whole school ridicules her for liking him. They call him ret*d. She defends him vehemently and told me last night that it is no longer like but love. I told her he is welcome to visit our home or I can drop them off at a local mall to just go and have some fun. Any help from you youngins'? :?

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 8:25 am

I'd say let it happen naturally, their young and are not going to be good at "courting". I'd say first meet-up should be around you, mostly to put your mind at rest, and give her your prase. they can really help each other, she sees a lot in him, and could grow to see into people very well. he can use all the social help at this point in his life, not to mention a little respect from his peers.