What is more vital for career success? IQ or Social Skills?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What is more important in determining career success?
ASD - IQ over social skills 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
ASD - Social skills over IQ 51%  51%  [ 25 ]
ASD - Social skills and IQ are equally important. 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
ASD - Other 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
NT - IQ over social skills 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
NT - Social skills over IQ 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
NT - Social skills and IQ are equally important. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
NT - Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 49

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

Hello WrongPlanet,

I have read numerous articles and watched numerous videos that seem to suggest that social skills are deemed to be more important for determining career success than intelligence. I personally think that having both the intelligence to understand what you are doing in your job/occupation/career and having the social skills to communicate your ideas and thoughts in words that the people you work with/employers can understand without making them angry are both equally important. What's the point of intelligence when you cannot communicate your ideas in a way that people can understand or without making them angry? But then again, what's the point of social skills if you do not have the ability/tools/smarts needed to understand what you are doing in your job and how to do it well? In my opinion, you cannot have one without the other.

But I want to hear what you think is more important in determining career success.

Once again, the NT group in the poll refers to non-autistics.

If you choose the Other option in the poll, specify what factors are most important in determining career success if you do not think that IQ or social skills best determine career success.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Social skills. That's because IQ tests are flawed. Mine couldn't even be scored.

Seriously, who cares if you can copy symbols quickly or put together a block puzzle?

Nobody cares. Whether or not you please your boss, that's a different matter.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

I think it depends on the job.

In general:
I think you need IQ to get on the career ladder, but social skills to really succeed.

Last edited by JellyCat on 11 Apr 2013, 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 3:38 pm

If IQ is related to degrees, diplomas, awards, etc., then it'll help you advance, especially in fields like medicine where those things are like gold in your pocket.

In professions where you can advance by learning on the job (radio, TV & cable communications, etc) then high socials skills are an absolute must.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 3:46 pm

Neither

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

IMHO For the vast majority of jobs social skills will get you further than intelligence. I'm sure there are some exceptions but even in my job (software developer) less talented but more social individuals win all of the awards and get the promotions even when they do less work.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Apr 2013, 4:33 pm

Social skills.

If it were IQ I would be making six figures right now.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 4:34 pm

Depends on what one means by success. Upward mobility surely requires keen social skills, but exceeding at any job requires the ability to do the work efficiently and effectively, in which I believe IQ is the most important. To be among the richest, and not accounting for other factors, I would say it is about 25% of the "correct" social skills, and 75% IQ, perception, and knowledge relating to an advanced field. For a standard competitive job that isn't in a lone or specialized work environment, I'd say it is more 75% social and 25% IQ.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

"Social skills" is a little inaccurate too. I think inherent likeability is as important, if not more so.

I've beat out as*holes with much better "social skills" for promotions and such just because I'm more inherently likeable.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 11 Apr 2013, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Apr 2013, 4:52 pm

It depends on the job.

However, I object to the use of "IQ", and would prefer "intelligence".

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 4:58 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
It depends on the job.

Indeed. Let's abandon a concept which has been subject to decades of scientific study, and substitute it with a vague and fluffy description...

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

GGPViper wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It depends on the job.

Indeed. Let's abandon a concept which has been subject to decades of scientific study, and substitute it with a vague and fluffy description...

Well, as stated before IQ tests can be quite flawed in their ability to accurately portray intelligence; and we're not looking for a definite measure of it, just which one is more important.

Author/Writer

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

Zodai wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It depends on the job.

Well, as stated before IQ tests can be quite flawed in their ability to accurately portray intelligence; and we're not looking for a definite measure of it, just which one is more important.

Given our limited understanding of the human mind - even by the best of the brightest of our scientists - this is unsurprising. But it does not warrant a rejection of the countless existing studies using the concept of IQ.

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

Good question - social skills for sure - HAHA if it were based on IQ, the majority of senators and politicians would be jobless

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Apr 2013, 5:19 pm

100% "social skills" or however you want to phrase it. Having a high IQ really means jack squat in most jobs unless you're a scientist or something.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

I didn't want to bog down the conversation with unnecessary semantics, but okay then. Any of these could be used in lieu of "intelligence":

1) Relevant degree or equivalent qualifications
2) Experience and knowledge in the specific field
3) Ability to perform in relevant tests (which may include IQ)

I don't think IQ alone is as good a measure of intelligence in most workplaces. I don't think I'm alone in that, or employers would employ based on IQ scores, rather than qualifications, experience and recommendations.