Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

So me and my roomate were talking last night about how we each have certain abilities related to memory.We go on for a bit about how he has a perfect auditory memory (i.e he can remember exact quotes from movies and the inflection used in them.
Then he mentions he has a HFA brother that uses quotes from movies as big part of the way he communicates.He goes on to say that if I wee to talk to him "you would have no idea he thinks any differently than YOU of me".
The weird part is that I've lived with him in the same room for 6 months.I'd have sworn that he would have figured out I have AS.I'm kind of confused and I sort of questioning just how awkward and weird I really am. :? :?

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2013, 4:45 pm

People who are like Rainman are also considered HFA (meaning his brother could act like that), so if it isn't obvious in you, he may just assume that you're quirky.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:03 pm

Maybe sometime when you and your roommate are talking in a good mood and it feels right, you could say something like, 'You know, I might be on the Spectrum, too' (if you're too roundabout, he might think that you're trying to push him to say that he may be on the spectrum)

I think I have a similar memory for the spoken word, and not just in movies. Although seeing a movie again gives me a chance to check it, and sometimes I'm slightly off in the exact words. But I've got the gist, the feeling, the plot point, the hinge point, so actually I think it might be a better ability than just a straight exact memory.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:25 pm

His brother is HFA, it is plausible he is touched by the spectrum too. And correct me if I am wrong here, but we are notoriously bad at spotting others also on the spectrum.