Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

I have a friend who has always felt she wasn't normal and doesn't know how to explain it to her family. She has some symptoms of an Aspie but misses some of the most common such as special interests and impeccable memory.
She gets easily anxious if her routine is changed, she doesn't do body contact and has a lot of odd views and some of those it just is! Situations we can't explain to others. Her OCD side means if she's moved seat in class she can't concentrate and feels very cloudy minded. I wanted to email her one of the Aspie quizes? Which would you recomend?
Any other suggestions would help, although she knows she doesn't have straight-forward OCD as she's tested for it before.
Thank you

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm

PixieXW wrote:
I have a friend who has always felt she wasn't normal and doesn't know how to explain it to her family. She has some symptoms of an Aspie but misses some of the most common such as special interests and impeccable memory.

No one meets every last criteria. Not every aspie has special interests and an impeccable memory et al.

Quote:
She gets easily anxious if her routine is changed, she doesn't do body contact and has a lot of odd views and some of those it just is! Situations we can't explain to others. Her OCD side means if she's moved seat in class she can't concentrate and feels very cloudy minded. I wanted to email her one of the Aspie quizes? Which would you recomend?
Any other suggestions would help, although she knows she doesn't have straight-forward OCD as she's tested for it before.
Thank you

Well, she can read a whole bunch of stuff about it. And take some online tests. And ask the average person here, "do you think I have it?"

Or she can go see a doctor about it. I guess it just depends on how important it is to her to find out for sure.

For instance, if she thought she might have hypertension, should she just read about the symptoms of hypertension online and go around asking people who aren't doctors, "do you think I might have hypertension?" Or should she just go see a doctor and actually get tested?
Classic online Aspie Quiz:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Last edited by briankelley on 19 Apr 2013, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

A good memory and special interests are not prerequisites for AS. Girls often present differently. Get her to take any of these:

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

I often forget what day of the week it is and also often have to check the date in the diary... my memory sucks..

Stu

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 2:00 pm

My memory's so bad that I will ask what someone wants to drink ie tea or coffee and by the time I've reached the kitchen to make it I've forgotten what they said!

Impressive memory feats are often an aspect of savant skills and savants invariably have a learning disability so by definition they don't have Asperger's Syndrome