Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm

I got the impression (from reading posts here) that in the US struggling aspies have little options... unless they are clearly autistic/non-verbal etc. (that is, until it becomes Sparta and starts to just kill them en masse (cuz, y'know, capitalism isn't sustained on the back of those types... or so the obese cats think)).

Or... well, what would happen if e.g. someone is wrecked with anxiety? I understand that the definition of 'disability' in the US is mostly about physical ailments... and so, what would happen if such a person is utterly hopeless/terrified at finding jobs? Would they think they're lying?

Generally, my impression of how health is treated in the US is horrifying... with regards to insurance, as Sicko details, practically anyone who is ill/unable to cope with life is simply bulldozed over. Kind of glad I'm not there, but as I was generally still in a miserable state sometimes I wonder if a quicker death, like many Americans probably have just because insurance companies want to get richer and richer ("muahaha!" Until they realize that, oops... money is actually the total antithesis of happiness), could possibly be more expeditious.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

In the U.S you don't have to be profoundly autistic to get on SSI, a large percentage of aspies are on SSI in the U.S and get free government healthcare.

If you have major anxiety and cannot work then a doctor will write a letter stating such, you will apply for disability and likely get it. Millions of people in the U.S are on disability because of depression or anxiety and NOT for physical reasons.

So the information you got about disability is 100% FALSE, completely FALSE.

Anyone who is unable to work for MENTAL or PHYSICAL reasons in the U.S is given free healthcare.

Last edited by DVCal on 19 Apr 2013, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm

From my experience unless you clearly stand out from the crowd people accept you and your quirks. Now if you stand out of the crowd people do make fun of you, and bully you if you try to act cool or tough.

Now going back and actually reading your post it seems you were asking what your options are for financial support such as SSI. My sister has SSI but she is low-functioning. To be eligible for SSI you must show clear hardship at functioning normally in society which basically means if your high-functioning like me you will not be eligible.

To further answer your questions (still embarrassed I didn't read your post first) generally you would not be eligible for government support for anxiety. Basically you have to be non-verbal to be eligible and it would still be a pain in the a** to get.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 11:41 pm

Sheerboredom wrote:
From my experience unless you clearly stand out from the crowd people accept you and your quirks. Now if you stand out of the crowd people do make fun of you, and bully you if you try to act cool or tough.

Now going back and actually reading your post it seems you were asking what your options are for financial support such as SSI. My sister has SSI but she is low-functioning. To be eligible for SSI you must show clear hardship at functioning normally in society which basically means if your high-functioning like me you will not be eligible.

To further answer your questions (still embarrassed I didn't read your post first) generally you would not be eligible for government support for anxiety. Basically you have to be non-verbal to be eligible and it would still be a pain in the a** to get.

Sheer this is untrue I know someone on SSI for anxiety, and only anxiety. They can function and talk to people just fine. But major anxiety makes it impossible for them to do any meaningful work.

MANY MANY Millions of Americans are on disability for this reason.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:07 am

There are people who know how to work the system and get help when they don't need it. There are people who deserve help and don't receive it.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:56 am

I definitely had no problem with getting diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder, which is fortunately something that came and went. I somehow managed to hold my job during this period, but just barely. I know my doctor wouldn't have trouble believing me if I was so bad off I couldn't work because of it. And I certainly didn't have trouble being permanently excused from jury duty via my doctor because of my ADHD. I think as I get older SSI and medicare (or whatever they call it) is inevitable. I'm sure I have enough ammunition based on adult medical history and childhood diagnosis to get disability. I just don't feel that I need it yet.

But you see the thing is, my doctor believes me and I know he'd like to go further with it than I will let him so far.

I hate to say it, but I think some people have a problem with this because they really don't need it. They just want it. They want free medical care and disability income and they are hoping to use mild Aspergers as a trump card to get it. People try doing that with tinnitus (which I also have) as well. They act like it's a golden ticket to a bunch of freebies or something. It's the same mentality as someone who's in a fender bender hoping to score a gigantic settlement. It's, "something bad happened to me and now I want to cash in".
People who assign disability can I'm sure spot that sort of attitude a mile away.

If someone really needs disability care for Asperger's they are not going to have to jump through hoops and pull rabbits out of their hat to get it. They are going to be told, "you need to go on disability". It's people who want, rather than need disability, who are the ones having trouble obtaining it.

Last edited by briankelley on 20 Apr 2013, 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:59 am

DVCal wrote:
Sheer this is untrue I know someone on SSI for anxiety, and only anxiety. They can function and talk to people just fine. But major anxiety makes it impossible for them to do any meaningful work.

The US population is 313 million. I don't think "MANY MANY Millions" is accurate.

Edit: I would be surprised if even a million Americans were on disability for anxiety.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Apr 2013, 2:12 am

It is easier to get disability for anxiety or depression than it is for being autistic. I am not certain as to why this is, but I suspect it has to do with taking the impairments seriously.

Also, the number of people on disability in in June 2012 was 8,733,461.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:16 am

justkillingtime wrote:
There are people who know how to work the system and get help when they don't need it. There are people who deserve help and don't receive it.

Sadly, this about sums up every social security and healthcare system I've come across, be it the UK, USA or continental Europe.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Apr 2013, 2:19 am

Noetic wrote:
justkillingtime wrote:

Sadly, this about sums up every social security and healthcare system I've come across, be it the UK, USA or continental Europe.

I think the former is vastly overestimated, and the latter is vastly underestimated.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:21 am

Yeah, I'd probably get whatever faster just going with my anxiety disorder that I've been under treatment for since 2004. I think I've been in an emergency room at least five times over it. I never know when/if it's going to hit me like a freight train. But I don't think all the government benefits in the world are worth having to suffer through debilitating anxiety. That was so incredibly horrific to go through for a period of time. Zero possibility of being able to enjoy life in any way whatsoever. Unless I guess if they have you spaced out on enough happy pills. That's not particularly appealing either. Disability carries a high cost. I'd rather stay able for as long as I can.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:24 am

Dealing with panic disorder was one of the worst times in my life. I don't ever want to go through that again. I haven't been to an ER since 2010, but I hate to think of all the trips I made because of anxiety.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:31 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
DVCal wrote:

The US population is 313 million. I don't think "MANY MANY Millions" is accurate.

Edit: I would be surprised if even a million Americans were on disability for anxiety.

SSDI alone has over 1.3 Million on it for Anxiety and Depressive disorders. SSI is at least another million.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 2:38 am

DVCal wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
DVCal wrote:

SSDI alone has over 1.3 Million on it for Anxiety and Depressive disorders. SSI is at least another million.

That is not "many many millions." That is 2.3 million. A bit more than a couple million, less than a few million, and far less than many many millions.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 4:10 am

Verdandi wrote:
DVCal wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
DVCal wrote:

That is not "many many millions." That is 2.3 million. A bit more than a couple million, less than a few million, and far less than many many millions.

It still is one of the leading reasons for SSDI/SSI,, which still shows the claim that people with these conditions don't get disability is false.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 4:12 am

DVCal wrote:
It still is one of the leading reasons for SSDI/SSI,, which still shows the claim that people with these conditions don't get disability is false.

In that regard, I do agree with you - I thought I agreed with you on that point earlier.