When Kids Have Better Social Skills Than You

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 12:12 am

Anyone else sometimes get bummed out when kids can kick your ass at socializing?

After I overhear phone conversations from my 10 year old nephew I'm always at awe at his verbal athleticism, and he's able to remember specific details from events and recall them at ease, his conversations are just so darned fluid.

I get jealous for about half-a-second, but suddenly feel relief that he's not like me, it's a good thing he doesn't have to relive my life, he's got a good future ahead of him.

I just hope that when puberty comes around he doesn't turn that tongue on me, I'll be toast.

I need a new brain.

How about you guys?

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 1:26 am

I can relate. I watch these teen customers at work be able to check out their groceries, pay, talk on the phone and mouth things to me then not miss a beat in their conversation. The mere fact they can enter their pin number while talking boggles my brain...

Me: Mouth moves - hands stop. Shut up - hands move. **sigh**

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 2:16 am

I find it a source of amusement that my primary-school-age students can outdo me (by far) socially.
One of those situations where you can either laugh or cry.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 2:33 am

*shrug*
Sometimes, people who are 10 years younger than me also have a more active sex life.
I shouldn't care.

KaDie
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2013, 2:03 pm

Klowglas wrote:
Anyone else sometimes get bummed out when kids can kick your ass at socializing?

After I overhear phone conversations from my 10 year old nephew I'm always at awe at his verbal athleticism, and he's able to remember specific details from events and recall them at ease, his conversations are just so darned fluid.

I get jealous for about half-a-second, but suddenly feel relief that he's not like me, it's a good thing he doesn't have to relive my life, he's got a good future ahead of him.

I just hope that when puberty comes around he doesn't turn that tongue on me, I'll be toast.

I need a new brain.

How about you guys?

I get bummed sometimes when I see my 18 year old son being so flexible with doing so many activities, but I'm so grateful he wasn't born an Aspie too.

What are you grateful for about being as Aspie or on the Autism Spectrum?

Me?

1. How much I can focus
2. How much peace I feel when I'm in the "Oneness" energy while focused on my task at hand
3. How fast my brain grasps new concepts
4. How much socializing I don't expect myself to do
5. How much I do accept myself for my uniqueness

What about you?

K.D. :o)
(just a women from Sedona, AZ trying to figure it out...)

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 2:12 pm

My 9-year-old niece often points out that I'm holding my cutlery wrong or things like that . It's embarassing.

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 3:24 am

I dont get bummed out, although I find it interesting. Sometimes, I'll see a kid and think, well a few more yrs and they'll surpass me socially.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
I dont get bummed out, although I find it interesting. Sometimes, I'll see a kid and think, well a few more yrs and they'll surpass me socially.

:lol: me too! I watch kids playing while taking my walks and think that they're more socially skilled than I'll ever be.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

I do admit that I envy my 8-year-old niece for being more social than me. She gets along well with my younger cousins, and at one point even had a little boyfriend. It makes me a little sad thinking about it, but then I realize that I do have talents of my own, as well.