Verbal Thinkers (thinking in words) 19%  19%  [ 25 ]
Other one (tell which one in the comments) 18%  18%  [ 24 ]
I really don't know 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 131

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:02 am

I was searching about it and I think (don't ask me how :D ) that this pool has never been done here (quite strange).

So there it goes: which kind of think do you have.

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 4:06 am

Verbal verbal verbal verbal verbal. Everything verbal. Visualizing is actually difficult for me. Sometimes I talk in my head. Sometimes I also talk to myself... It's like a neverending soliloque and sometimes I have trouble to sleep because it never shuts up.

Can some of you explain what pattern thinking is ? It seems interesting.

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:14 am

Well, I'm a pattern thinker and I wouldn't know how to explain it really... it's like trying to explain the colours. For me this is the natural way.

When I think, it's like having in my head a big network connecting things, attributes, shapes, properties and so. When I have tried to visualize it it feels like they're all around floating connected by light beams (though this is probably how my mind interprets it when I try to force it to visualize). And my mind is constantly roaming that net looking for way to simplify it: the patterns. The more patterns I find the more simple is the net and the easier to handle. So my mind looks for patterns constantly, without even being aware of it.

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 4:17 am

I guess something like a way of thinking can be really hard to put in words... But I think I get it a little. Thanks

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:18 am

Yeah, I wondered what a pattern thinker is. I seem to fit in a category like that, but when I saw "Music" in its brief definition, it put me off. I cannot be a music thinker. Music is my enemy. I like organizing and categorizing things in my head often using numbers. But I also use words and positions of things, too. It seems I have a bit of all. So, I'd say I really don't know.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:22 am

jk1 wrote:
Yeah, I wondered what a pattern thinker is. I seem to fit in a category like that, but when I saw "Music" in its brief definition, it put me off. I cannot be a music thinker. Music is my enemy. I like organizing and categorizing things in my head often using numbers. But I also use words and positions of things, too. It seems I have a bit of all. So, I'd say I really don't know.

Well, in the article I found it says about this, I quote:

"Music and Mathematical Thinkers
These types of thinkers find patterns in everything. In fact, I'm surprised that Temple didn't refer to them simply as 'pattern thinkers'. They could be very good at music or mathematics, both of which are full of patterns. Of course, they might be good at one and not the other."

http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.nl/ ... nkers.html

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:37 am

I selected Other. But I suppose I might be a pattern thinker? I think in concepts. Silent, just understanding. A deep sense of knowing. Sensing the relationship of things, how one thing is to another. Sort of like a feeling, but more informational and rational. I'm not sure how to classify this. I can barely even explain it.

I can think in pictoral and verbal forms too, but don't need to very often. But always can if it is required for whatever task I'm involved in.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:40 am

DyspraxicPanda wrote:
Verbal verbal verbal verbal verbal. Everything verbal. Visualizing is actually difficult for me. Sometimes I talk in my head. Sometimes I also talk to myself... It's like a neverending soliloque and sometimes I have trouble to sleep because it never shuts up.

This sounds just like me only I talk in my head and talk to myself very often (not just "sometimes"). So yeah, verbal. I find it very difficult to visualise things which is actually a big disadvantage sometimes (in studies for example).

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:40 am

Thanks, Greb. I now have a better idea. I think I'm inclined towards that category. I like numbers and maths, but I hate music.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

Concepts. I think in concepts.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 9:41 am

Other: I think in concrete sensory information (mostly visual & feelings), spatial arrangement, patterns.

Love transcends all.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 10:11 am

I voted 'other' but what I really meant was that I'm just as much of a pattern thinker as I am a verbal thinker. There's no option for both. I'm definitely not a visual thinker. I know you expect us to pick one as dominant even if two are in a very close tie but I can't choose. I know that I'm not a visual thinker but pattern thinking and verbal thinking are both dominant styles for me. Often they are combined.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

I'm a verbal thinker first and foremost.

TomGunsmoke
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2013, 10:39 am

All of the above.

EQ score: 10

PhilosophicTurtle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 10:59 am

I think in all of them. And psychologists say that I mooch in my own reality :D

Only 1 1/2 more weeks of school and procrastination.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
I selected Other. But I suppose I might be a pattern thinker? I think in concepts. Silent, just understanding. A deep sense of knowing. Sensing the relationship of things, how one thing is to another. Sort of like a feeling, but more informational and rational. I'm not sure how to classify this. I can barely even explain it.

I can think in pictoral and verbal forms too, but don't need to very often. But always can if it is required for whatever task I'm involved in.

Something like this.

With a new problem to solve I am more conscious of the effort to link, reason and intuit a solution. I draw on experience, logic, experimentation and known facts that might not be relevant to the topic under discussion but follow logical priciples that are applicable there too.
But I rarely "hear" the verbal reasoning, or see patterns or feel sensations. I just "know" what is right in that moment. This may be why I find describing how I got to my conclusions difficult.