4 detained over attack on French gay bar amid tensions...

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:38 am

...over gay marriage Bill in French parliament:

Quote:
4 detained in attack on French gay bar amid tensions over gay marriage bill

PARIS — Four people have been detained on suspicion of carrying out an attack at a Lille gay bar, the Interior Ministry said Thursday, amid nationwide tensions over a bill that would legalize gay marriage.

Several other people were detained in Paris late Wednesday after a protest against gay marriage that ended with some demonstrators fighting police and damaging cars along the Champs-Elysees avenue.

Legalizing gay marriage was one of President Francois Hollande’s campaign promises, and polls show a majority of voters support the idea, as an increasing number of governments open marriage to same-sex couples.

Abhorrent and disgusting behaviour. I hope they get the book thrown at them.

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 5:55 am

I'm French, and I'm also a lesbian.
The LGBT community here is very scared. Homophobia has been over the roof lately and now I'm terrified of getting beat up everyday, when like two years ago I wouldn't care at all. I'm scared of holding my girlfriend's hand in public.
It's very hard to see people manifesting against your rights all the time. Like you're not human. :/

Your Aspie score: 135 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:18 am

DyspraxicPanda wrote:
The LGBT community here is very scared. Homophobia has been over the roof lately and now I'm terrified of getting beat up everyday, when like two years ago I wouldn't care at all. I'm scared of holding my girlfriend's hand in public.
It's very hard to see people manifesting against your rights all the time. Like you're not human. :/

That sounds pretty awful. I knew that French society was somewhat anti-gay, but I didn't believe that it had got as bad as that.

It seems as though homophobia is coming from more than one source in French society, too. It's very sad.

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2013, 6:25 am

I feel safe in a student environment but then you watch the manifestation things on the news and you see there's people your age. So it's kind of scary :/

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:46 am

DyspraxicPanda wrote:
I feel safe in a student environment but then you watch the manifestation things on the news and you see there's people your age. So it's kind of scary :/

Understood.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:38 am

It is unfortunate that the reaction to homosexuality is as visceral, passionate and irrational as it is.

I am not a homosexual, rather I am a straight male, married with children and grand-children. My reaction to displays of homosexuality is more along the lines of Eccchhhhh! and Yuchhhh! rather than anger and the desire to do violence. I am fully aware that my reaction is from the gut, and not from the brain and that is the way it is. HOWEVER, I am dead set (on principle mind you) of converting a Yuccchhhh! into an act of violence against another human being who has neither threatened me (or mine) or committed a wrong against me (or mine).

It is inevitable that each of us will find some of the things that other people do disgusting. (For example what is your reaction to a person picking a juicy booger out of his nose and then swallowing it?) However our subjective reactions and feelings of disgust in no way justify or warrant violence.

ruveyn

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:20 pm

I was actually a bit surprised to find France so homophobic.

Are they religious in France or what?

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:25 pm

Very much so, Things got pretty bad over here those last years.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:27 pm

zena4 wrote:
Very much so, Things got pretty bad over here those last years.

I'm really sorry to hear this. French gays do not deserve this treatment from anyone.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
Abhorrent and disgusting behaviour. I hope they get the book thrown at them.

I agree.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

Did not know homophobia was so strong France, is it the same all over Europe? Most Americans have this idea in their heads that Europe as a way more tolerant place but it seems way more racist, xenophobic, and homophobic to me.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:09 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Did not know homophobia was so strong France, is it the same all over Europe? Most Americans have this idea in their heads that Europe as a way more tolerant place but it seems way more racist, xenophobic, and homophobic to me.

I heard stories of Spanish soccer fans chanting racial slurs.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

CSBurks wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I heard stories of Spanish soccer fans chanting racial slurs.

A couple of months ago people made monkey sounds at an African-American soccer player in the Netherlands. And not just some people, many joined in. There have also been anti-jewish chants against Ajax (Amsterdam), possibly because of Amsterdam's long history with Judaism. I'm not sure how much these people thought about their bigoted chants, but there is a certain demographic of near-hooligans who every so often make themselves look like idiots. The only positive thing is that every time this happens there is a public outrage, so at least most people are very much against this.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 7:01 pm

DyspraxicPanda wrote:

Dafuq?! !!

What century is this, seriously? Argh, didn't realise a Western European country could be so homophobic. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen in Britain, but given that we're more backward about sexuality than French people are, I'm not so sure now.

DyspraxicPanda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

Apparently #Il faut tuer les homosexuels (we must kill homosexuals) trended on twitter france for a little while today. ://

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 2:16 pm

Well, at least we Americans can take comfort in knowing we're not the only country with a percentage of irrational, bigoted cretins making up our population.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer