Want to learn to compose my own music!

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

Finally i qant to learn to compsoe music. Someone have an good tutorial for learn how to compose music. I mean to learning techniques, how to process and ect(I already have my little idea for an subject). I must say i'm not new to music as i play piano since 2 and half years maybe and know how to read an sheet mostly. My difficulty on sheet reading is still left hand but i begin to understand! English or French website is welcomed. My influence will be Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo. I want to learn it as i have only piano connaissances and want to begin first ot compsoe with piano. Also the website must have something good for match left and right hand or tips for get my musical ear better

Thanks

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 3:53 pm

Composing music is not the simplest thing in the world. I've linked to some sites but I don't know how much help they'll be. People who compose music go to school for that stuff. Still, if you know your way around a computer, I can hook you up with some notation software.

Site 1

Link 2

Link 3

Good luck.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Composing music is not the simplest thing in the world. I've linked to some sites but I don't know how much help they'll be. People who compose music go to school for that stuff. Still, if you know your way around a computer, I can hook you up with some notation software.

Site 1

Link 2

Link 3

Good luck.

Thank

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

21 Apr 2013, 5:12 pm

1. Listen to music. Read the scores at the same time if your ear isn't good enough to pick up on what the composer is doing.

2. Compose. Compose. Compose. Accept that most of what you do at first will be crap. It will improve.

3. Repeat from step 1.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

Learning to compose music? What a bizarre idea. You have music in your head. If you can't hear a particular instrument making the sound, you decide which instrument would be best. You are familiar with musical notation; so you use that knowledge to translate the sounds in your head to music, based on the range of the instrument.

Assuming you already know all your chords, scales and arpeggios, all you really need to learn are the various characteristics of the instruments you wish to write for.

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

21 Apr 2013, 5:32 pm

starkid wrote:
Learning to compose music? What a bizarre idea. You have music in your head. If you can't hear a particular instrument making the sound, you decide which instrument would be best. You are familiar with musical notation; so you use that knowledge to translate the sounds in your head to music, based on the range of the instrument.

Assuming you already know all your chords, scales and arpeggios, all you really need to learn are the various characteristics of the instruments you wish to write for.

Nope, you also need to learn what combinations of sounds go together, and how to structure music across various time scales, how to develop your ideas so your music doesn't sound like you just tossed a few random musical phrases together...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 5:38 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:

Nope, you also need to learn what combinations of sounds go together, and how to structure music across various time scales, how to develop your ideas so your music doesn't sound like you just tossed a few random musical phrases together...

That's all encompassed in hearing music in your head. It isn't possible to have an idea for a piece of music that isn't already structured into some type of time signature; all one has to do is write it down. Go ahead and try to think of an original piece of music that isn't structured into some time signature or another. Or maybe that's just how I come up with music. Are there people who just hear random notes that aren't structured into phrases, melodies and harmonies, that come into their head at random intervals, not in some sort of rhythm?

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

For chords i have an book that they have all of it inside. Arpeggios and Scales il check this before begin to compose my first crap. For the the caracteristic il lsee what piano can do

Thanks guys/gals

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:03 pm

J-P wrote:
For chords i have an book that they have all of it inside. Arpeggios and Scales il check this before begin to compose my first crap. For the the caracteristic il lsee what piano can do

Thanks guys/gals

Oh wow. This makes it all much harder. You've played piano for over twenty years and you don't have your major and minor (at least) scales and chords memorized? I think your first step should be taking an introductory music theory course, either a physical class, or get a music theory book.

This website may help:

http://www.musictheory.net/

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 6:10 pm

starkid wrote:
J-P wrote:

Thanks guys/gals

Oh wow. This makes it all much harder. You've played piano for over twenty years and you don't have your major and minor (at least) scales and chords memorized? I think your first step should be taking an introductory music theory course, either a physical class, or get a music theory book.

This website may help:

Not twenty but two and half. I can read sheets but still have difficulty with left hand. I learn music by playing an instrument not learning theses things. Yes i go in a musical school for learning piano. I have somes basics things i think like a blakc is 1 time, white is 2 i think ect.

EDIT»: ill go see your website as i miss somes theory things

Do yo uthink that musical school can learn me how to compsoe with all bases?

Like i said i have somes theory but not much. I forgot all i learn at school lol

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:17 pm

J-P wrote:

Like i said i have somes theory but not much. I forgot all i learn at school lol

I don't know your school. You need to know everything on that website up to the chords section at least. Theory is extremely important. You also need to read music perfectly to write it. You have a lot to do.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

starkid wrote:
J-P wrote:

I don't know your school. You need to know everything on that website up to the chords section at least. Theory is extremely important. You also need to read music perfectly to write it. You have a lot to do.

Il lread all of this... At last i have somes basics things b ut maybe like 5% of it finally

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2013, 6:33 pm

J-P wrote:
starkid wrote:
J-P wrote:

Thanks guys/gals

This website may help:

Not twenty but two and half. I can read sheets but still have difficulty with left hand. I learn music by playing an instrument not learning theses things. Yes i go in a musical school for learning piano. I have somes basics things i think like a blakc is 1 time, white is 2 i think ect.

I think we all interpreted that as taking piano lessons since you were two and a half years old. I was wondering what kind of piano lessons one would give to someone at that age.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 6:35 pm

eric76 wrote:
J-P wrote:
starkid wrote:
J-P wrote:

Thanks guys/gals

This website may help:

I think we all interpreted that as taking piano lessons since you were two and a half years old. I was wondering what kind of piano lessons one would give to someone at that age.

No i take it for 2 years and half sorry my error since maybe at 22 23 years old

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2013, 6:38 pm

J-P wrote:
eric76 wrote:
J-P wrote:
starkid wrote:
J-P wrote:

Thanks guys/gals

This website may help:

No i take it for 2 years and half sorry my error since maybe at 22 23 years old

Anyway ill try hard to memorize all i read on the site.