Is the workplace going to become MORE challenging for AS?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

Just about every suspected Aspie I know is a college student in their late 20s or early 30s and all of them already have a degree. I don't think it is a co-incidence. Luckily it seems like communication skills are declining in general thanks to the facebook generation so HR will HAVE to start looking at Aspies.

I still find it ironic most companies pay HR and other similar outside organizations tonnes of money to make smart hiring decisions and they STILL get it wrong. I was at a business the other day and said out loud in public after I left (to my Girlfriend that is) "how the F&&k can any sane person hire this girl? She is awful at her job and doesn't understand basic skills!" A child could have figured out she was a useless employee within seconds and what a shock she only lasted a few days.

I'm at the bank the other day and nobody knew what compound interest was. I was so furious I yelled out "and yet you wouldn't hire me when I have a degree in banking theory!" and was surprised I wasn't thrown out. Drives me insane to see incompetent fools get jobs solely on their BS skills.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2013, 6:36 am

I think it's gotten more challenging as the world is more 'connected', with a greater proportion of jobs in the service sector, meaning that it is more often necessary to interact with people. But I'm not so sure we will become 'more connected' in the future given what we are now, so it's more likely things will stay about the same (not getting worse) for us. Actually if anything I think it'll get better as people start to understand AS more (the biggest roadblock for us right now is the lack of understanding of our capabilities and misguided assumptions about our us and our difficulties).

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:38 pm

The job market is horrible right now, and employers want THE BEST they can get. A bad economy is the enemy of not only people with disabilities, but anyone who is mediocre in their skills and talents. Otherwise good workers passed over because there are so many out of work the employer can get better for the same price.

For economic opportunity to exist for most everyone (especially the disadvantaged) you NEED a vibrant economy so that the need for skilled labor makes employers more willing to work with whomever they can get and not sit back and pick and choose who they want from the legion of unemployed applicants.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 1:38 pm

Well, that's both true and not...

I am a VERY skilled office person and usually outshine my coworkers in quality and quantity (often both.) This gets me jobs, but it seems to be only a matter of time before bitter/jealous but social people gang up and bully me out by either treating me badly or whining/lying to management to begin the "squeeze out" procedure. :x

It's not that I'm unfriendly, I just don't think on the same wavelength... I don't think drinking is the most fun in the world and use lunch breaks to have quiet alone time instead of gabbagabbgagabba social time!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 2:13 am

Sometimes it sure sucks trading social acceptance for creativity or genius... :( Especially when workplace social activity involves so much worthless banter the "normies" seem to require to survive!

...sorry if I'm a little bitter tonight. :oops:

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:44 am

BlueMax wrote:

I have actually had this happen to me on more than one occasion.

Last edited by Metal_Man on 13 May 2013, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 6:52 am

Metal_Man wrote:
BlueMax wrote:

I've have actually had this happen to me on more than one occasion.

If I looked for jobs that cared about that (or maybe even looked for jobs at all) that could easily happen to me.

If I look up my name online I can barely find anything and most stuff I find is from people that happen to have the same name as me. I'm not interested in social media and never use my real full name publicly online. I actually have a facebook that I don't really want but it's locked down as tight as possible and doesn't have my real name or pictures of me on it.

I'm still surprised at how many people these days put so much of their personal info out in public online. That's not safe.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 4:33 pm

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2013, 4:33 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:

Yes. As employers, for reasons far beyond the scope of this post if not this board, move further and further towards "social skills", Aspies are at an increased disadvantage.

Just means that one will need to learn the soft skills - like me.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2013, 4:39 pm

WestBender84 wrote:
Greater connectivity = More social interaction = More opportunities for us to alienate others and ourselves = More difficult labor market for individuals having AS

Yeah but greater connectivity = increased networking = the more people who know about you and what you can do = increased likelihood of "getting into a company through the back door (Temple Grandin)"

I look at all this as an opportunity - an opportunity to put myself on the same level as the NTs.. after all, when you've met one person with autism, you've only met one and only one person with autism. Just like how all people who are NT are different than one another, so are all people who are AS are different than one another.

"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2013, 4:41 pm

WhoKnowsWhy wrote:
The workplace itself may not be getting more challenging for Aspies, but the job application process is. It's all about networking and who you know....

Bingo.. Temple Grandin has suggested that filling out applications online is one of the worst things that anyone with AS could ever do. She mentioned that the best thing someone can do is create a portfolio of their own work and use that at an interview.