Did anyone here get a community college cert after a B.A.?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

I'm considering doing a community college certificate in Library and Information Science. This is a certificate you can do without a degree but you can do it faster (accelerated) if you already have a degree. I feel a little silly going to community college and getting something you don't need uni for because I already have a B.A. The B.A. is in psychology and doesn't prepare me for any specific job. The certificate would prepare me for a specific job.

I'm wondering how common this is. I'm curious how many people get useless B.A.s (in the sense that the degree doesn't prepare them for a specific job) and then go do a community college certificate. Did anyone here do that?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm

It doesn't seem fair that one can achieve a BA in Psychology and have no place to put it. I googled and found some areas you guys get employed in are psych techs, career counselors and child care workers. I don't even know if that's true or not; still, it's not fair. The bassist from my last band has a BA in something or other from Univ of Washington but he has no place to put it, either. So now you have to get a certificate? Tsk, tsk. I have a certificate (diploma) from nursing school so maybe I shouldn't put myself down all the time.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
It doesn't seem fair that one can achieve a BA in Psychology and have no place to put it. I googled and found some areas you guys get employed in are psych techs, career counselors and child care workers. I don't even know if that's true or not; still, it's not fair. The bassist from my last band has a BA in something or other from Univ of Washington but he has no place to put it, either. So now you have to get a certificate? Tsk, tsk. I have a certificate (diploma) from nursing school so maybe I shouldn't put myself down all the time.

The problem is that I don't want to work with people so things like career counselor or childcare worker would be out. I'm slow at data entry and to be a lab assistant I'd have to improve that and learn some computer stats programs -probably have to take a course in SPSS , which is the main psych computer program. Yeah, I think certificates can be a lot more useful than B.A.s because they prepare you for a specific job.

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2013, 1:15 am

I am about to do this. I have 3 BS's in Finance/Marketing and IT. But I am getting an associate's in Healthcare Management IT. I feel it will focus my degree on the healthcare field whereas before I had no specific field.

You can never learn too much.