feeling depressed about not having a job

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

I've been searching for 6 months for a job. I'm about to take a CNA(certified nursing assistant) program and hopefully get a job doing that. My question is does anyone else struggle to get a job and feel utterly depressed about it?

I feel like I'm somehow the only one in this situation and also I have a special needs child with low to moderate autism. So if I do get a job I'll need to put childcare in place. I've not worked in 7 years aside from at husband's company which is just filling orders. I feel like I'll never get another job again and rather hopeless.

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 2:17 pm

Yes, yes, yes... I made a thread about this.

My only advice is to keep looking into the future, and don't take rejections personally (even if it is personal). Education is probably the best thing to do in this Great Recession.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 3:23 pm

well I've a feeling there are only a few fields that are good bets in terms of employment. I wish I were working now as that would make things much easier on me emotionally.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 3:30 pm

Xlexa, great feedback.

Yes, many of us have struggled with getting jobs. Myself, this week may be the first time I pass a probation since I graduated in 09. Do not get depressed. I have been there with depression. I know that is tempting and hard to resist. Remember your many wonderful strengths, including the resilience that you have as a mother, particularly of a child with special needs. Education is a good thing! It is important to keep up with doing job applications, trying to research places and people you might want to work with before you graduate, and trying to find some time for yourself too, even if it is only five minutes before bed to read a book and relax.

I hope all the best for you.

Tina

Also, do not take rejections personally. They happen, and you can deal with them. It is rare that people get their first job very quickly nowadays. That is all quite normal. Also, think of interviews as a time when you can learn more about the organization too, especially the managers you will be working with. If you get an immediate negative or positive, I find that that really sets the tone for the job sometimes.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

Everyone here can do some job, but the NTs are usually the ultimate decision makers. We cannot be faulted for being poor when the NTs make society's rules. Don't feel bad about "losing" a game designed to be nearly impossible for an individual with ASD to "win," in NT terms. It's like being told to swim while wearing concrete water fins. :wink:

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2013, 12:25 am

WestBender84 wrote:
Everyone here can do some job, but the NTs are usually the ultimate decision makers. We cannot be faulted for being poor when the NTs make society's rules. Don't feel bad about "losing" a game designed to be nearly impossible for an individual with ASD to "win," in NT terms. It's like being told to swim while wearing concrete water fins. :wink:

In my personal opinion, using the autism thing as an excuse is like being a racial minority and blaming it on the "white man", or being a woman and blaming on men, or something like that. I think using this kind of belief system will always keep you down.

Today, I got a call for a job interview (I applied 3 months ago), and I'm going to go to it tomorrow. I hope I get it, just to get through this dark time of my life, but I hope to not stay there for a long time. This isn't going to be a career, but a temporary gig, and I am going to look at it more like "volunteer" work more than a job... then I don't have to feel like a loser who can't find anything better.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm

I sent my resume back in and they want me to come in and bring my identification, social security card, and proof of insurance. I think I might just have a chance at this job. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 30 and I've worked several jobs and done lots of different kinds of things. I've never used the Autism thing except when I got kicked out of college Masters program for it. I got all my money back and am now moving on. I honestly just struggle sometimes with interviews.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 12:38 pm

kate123A wrote:
I sent my resume back in and they want me to come in and bring my identification, social security card, and proof of insurance.

You don't get much of a more positive sign than that. :)

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 7:21 pm

Go, kate123a!

Wonderful news!

PDBowden
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2013, 2:28 pm

I had a BS job at Target doing price accuracy and I got fired for performance issues and after I got let go, I was a lot happier. I'm looking into a career in actuarial science now.

therosester
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2013, 3:41 pm

kate123A wrote:
I've been searching for 6 months for a job. I'm about to take a CNA(certified nursing assistant) program and hopefully get a job doing that. My question is does anyone else struggle to get a job and feel utterly depressed about it?

I feel like I'm somehow the only one in this situation and also I have a special needs child with low to moderate autism. So if I do get a job I'll need to put childcare in place. I've not worked in 7 years aside from at husband's company which is just filling orders. I feel like I'll never get another job again and rather hopeless.

Hi. I'm 21 now and I've got a full-time job lined up which I'll be starting in June. Until now I had struggling for 3 years to find a job. I was working part-time for some of that time but it still got me down sometimes. I remember crying myself to sleep one time because of it.
It sounds like you're making a fair effort to find work so I won't patronise you by saying what else you can do. All I will say is that the feeling of "when will my time come" is something that I and many others have, are and will go through. And I can assure you now, you're time WILL come.