Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2007, 10:53 am

Do you like cricket too? :D

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Jan 2007, 11:03 am

i've never played but I imagine I'd enjoy it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 11:17 am

I have always wondered how it was played.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 5:53 pm

Islamoverall banned in 5 posts! Is that a record?

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have always wondered how it was played.

As briefly as I can, there are 11 players each side. The side batting need 2 batsmen on the pitch, so when 10 are out, the innings is over.
A bowler "bowls" 6 balls from 1 end of the pitch, the another bowler bowls 6 balls from the other end, and so on. Each 6 ball set is called an "over".
A batsmen scores by hitting the ball and running from 1 end of the pitch to the other. The scoe is the number of "runs". If the ball is hit out of the playing field "on the full" (without the ball touching the field) he is given 6 runs. If the ball goes out of the field but not on the full, he is given 4 runs.

A batsmen is out/dismissed when the ball hits any of the 3 stumps behind him, either if he misses the ball and it hits the stumps, he accidentally hits the stumps himself while playing a shot, or he nicks the ball and it goes on to hit the stumps.

If the batsman misses the ball with the bat and it hits his legs (they wear pads for protection), and the umpire thinks the ball would have hit the stumps, he is given out "leg before wicket" or LBW.

If he hits the ball in the air and it is caught before hitting the ground, he is dismissed.

The bowler is not allowed to bend his arm during release of the ball (i.e. no throwing allowed). A fast bowler can deliver a ball at 100 mph (160 kph).

In an international "test" match, there are 2 innings each, each team. There are variations, like 1 day games where each team gets 50 overs only.