Any aspies enjoy skin contact? (be apropriate)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 10:14 pm

I enjoy skin contact like hugging, but a lot of people say they don't because of aspergers. I would love to have skin contact with a lady, and that would never be a problem, I am wondering why as an aspie, do I actually enjoy skin contact so much? If you are one of those apies like me let the world know here.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm

I like hugs.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 10:28 pm

It usually depends on the person; but I'd have to go with 100% absolutely concerning my girlfriend.

Now we just need to live close enough for it to be possible XD.

Author/Writer

Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

It depends on the person, but generally I can find it comforting. When I am in sensory overload my GF knows by now that it helps when places her hands over my ears.

Was not spoken of the soul.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:50 am

I can enjoy it. It's not that it's inherently unpleasant, but I do feel it very intensely. Most of the time it's too much, and I avoid it. But with the right person, in the right setting when I'm relaxed enough, it can feel very very nice. I like the feeling of my girlfriend's hand going softly up and down my back, or her fingers running through my hair.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:51 am

Yes - but only with loved ones, NOT strangers hugging indiscriminately!

anneya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2013, 5:59 am

I hate people touching me, especially when I am not expecting it. I don't like shaking hands or kissing on the cheek unless it is children or little old ladies. But I still do it, if its expected of me. When I go to the hair salon, I have to prep myself. Not in a panicky way but just to expect it. When I go for a pedicure or manicure I have to really concentrate on being cool or depress my sensory system or something because I am so aware of someone touching me. It helps if they wear a facemask when doing the pedicure or manicure for some reason! I have left several massages half way through, in my life, because of hypersensitivity I think. My type A personality friend who I often go have massages with just zones out and goes to sleep, while I lie there trying to "relax"!

I liked my mother plaiting my hair when I was a child. I love being touched when in relationship but when Im expecting it or aware of the mood.

Ironically, my job involves touching a lot of people. As I am anticipating it and in the zone, its not a problem at all, whatever body part!

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:22 am

Family, friends and loved ones? Sure it's all good in the hood.
With strangers, it makes my skin crawl.
As for lapdancers..well that's different 8)

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2013, 8:43 am

If I'm prepared for it hugs are a great thing. They are just so comforting, especially when its from someone who doesn't have to make you feel good. Although if I'm not ready for it or its from a person I don't want contact with it isn't enjoyable at all.

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

I can't "filter" skin contact with other adults. I can filter it with non-human animals and children, but not adults. When I touch or am touched by a child or non-human animal, my physical and emotional response is not as strong as when an adult touches me--some might say I "over"-respond to any adult touch. Thus, I avoid physical contact with other adults except for my wife. Otherwise, it messes me up. Since USA society permits a man to be physically stand-offish (I can handle handshakes), especially if he's already married, it doesn't cause me a problem.

Where I live now, it's explained by "He's a Yankee, but he's okay once you get to know him."

Moridin8
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2013, 2:02 pm

Skin to skin contact is the best of any form of touch I experience! By far! But I'm very choosy about it. I'm pretty sensitive.

i LOATH getting my hair cut. Makes my skin crawl...

Autistic/BAP : 118 aloof, 90 rigid and 83 pragmatic
EQSQ: 16/87 Extreme Systemizing

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 2:25 pm

If they touch me I feel weird and usually retract, but I actually like it so I get used to it, hoping they would do it again but then after they see me retracting then they never approach me again :(

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

The fact that you enjoy skin contact just means you don't have the problem. Autism is a spectrum disorder, with many potential signs. You just don't happen to have that symptom. It is extremely common amongst autistic people, but is by no means a necessity.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:10 pm

Only if it's from people I know well. I really don't like skin contact that I don't expect.

Back when I was 7 or so there was a teacher who would pat me on the back whenever I had a good grade for something. I always tried to avoid the pat. Eventually the teacher thought I was sexually abused at home because I tried to avoid contact and the school started an investigation. Of course the investigation proved nothing because I wasn't being abused. I still feel sorry for my parents for going through that. :(

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:25 pm

Hugging and touching is fine, but soft rubbing hurts. My ex used to rub me on the knee and it felt like my skin was sunburned. Firmer rubbing, like a massage is okay for some reason.

V_for_Verbose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

I enjoy hugging, affectionate touching. I enjoy holding hands, and when I'm at a movie theater, I love the whole "arm over the shoulder" routine.

There is like an electricity, an emotional connection with romantic human touch, especially if you don't feel it a lot. It is like a warmth, and it feels good, it feels like being connected. It also makes you feel like something else, but I won't get into that! :lol: But yes, I do enjoy the feeling of warm and connection.

If we're talking in sense of casually, like friends, family, etc, here are my thoughts- It is nice to hug women- like sisters, mothers, girl friends, aunts, grandmothers, young kids who are a part of your family or extended family.

It is alright to hug your father or grandfather, brother, or son if you have one, but hugging anyone else is weird- like a male friend, a male co-worker, a cousin, a family friend. It just feels weird, and I don't like it :x